BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Big Joke: Promises easier, faster and more "watertight" Immigration rules

Big Joke: Promises easier, faster and more "watertight" Immigration rules

1pm.jpg
Picture: TNA

As immigration officials prepared to present proposals for a new Immigration Act to a ministerial committee yesterday chief Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn outlined what it would mean to visitors and expatriates in Thailand. 

Speaking to TNA the chief said that the 1979 act was out of date and not in line with modern countries. 

Thailand was the third most visited country in the world and while not a direct target for criminals was a place where those up to no good would hide out under the guise of being tourists. 

The Lt-Gen suggested that one of the best ways to solve this problem was to ensure that hotel and condo owners report the whereabouts of foreigners. The man known as Big Joke even went so far as to specifically mention "people of color and South Africans" as a problem. 

Over the last two years these people and others have been a problem and if the immigration police know where they are that will be a help. 

Better screening of potential visitors to Thailand is also being proposed in the new regulations. This includes use of the Advanced Passenger Processing System (APPS) that will speed things up. 

Channel 7 TV reported that the chief wanted to make things easier, faster and more watertight. 

The introduction of Artificial Intelligence that includes ten finger fingerprinting and iris recognition technology would speed up applications and make them harder to circumvent. 

Channel 7 said that in the past warnings to people such as hotel owners and condo owners for failing to report foreigners in their properties would now be replaced by fines. 

Thaivisa earlier reported proposals that 10,000 baht fines might be levied if the minister agrees. 

There are also changes to business visas and extensions of stay based on people who have children or who are married to Thais. 

Exactly what these are - or indeed if they are anything new that has not already been reported - remains to be seen. 

But Channel 7 mentioned specifically the problem of agents handling visa extensions and the issue of having 800,000 baht in the bank. 

They said the chief had promised to make doing business in Thailand easier.

Passport visa stamps are also set to change - one looking like a flag will be used for entry and one resembling an ear of rice will be used for exit. 

The ministerial committee was scheduled to meet and discuss the proposals yesterday afternoon with TNA saying that Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan was keen to put his own ideas on the table. 

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg
 -- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-28

They always promise exactly the opposite of what is going to happen !!  

Compulsive lying, I believe, is the term 😏

i can see a lot of second hand Mercs on the market, >>  NOT <<  lol

Yep.  Get ready for the next hammer blow.  Every piece of bad news from immigration in recent years has come with the sales pitch that it will make it easier for us.

And what ministers have to approve this proposal?  I thought the election result and subsequent ministerial positions was still unclear in the wake of the election "irregularities".

Is this getting rushed through by Prawit before he is replaced?

Says absolutely nothing other than a load of waffle about doing "something" while reinforcing the blatant racism Thailand has towards black people.

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Says absolutely nothing other than a load of waffle about doing "something" while reinforcing the blatant racism Thailand has towards black people.

I'm more worried about the blatant racism Thailand shows towards white people.

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Passport visa stamps are also set to change - one looking like a flag will be used for entry and one resembling an ear of rice will be used for exit. 

Yes...absolutely...this will definitely make a difference. People will know instantly, and without doubt, whether they have just entered or have just departed the country

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm more worried about the blatant racism Thailand shows towards white people.

Racism is alive and thriving here towards all foreigners, especially the neighbours, who are considered less than human by many Thais. White folk are kind of tolerated, though definitely not loved, but clearly there is a mindset that dark skinned people are almost universally not wanted. Judging a book by its cover I believe is the term.

Easier, faster and more watertight =

• 1.6 million baht on deposit for 12 months for retirement extension
  • 800K baht on deposit for 12 months for wedding extension
  • 30 day reporting with full finger printing and facial scan on each occassion
  • 10K baht fine for not doing TM30 report (payable by foreigner on next extension application)
  • Compulsory medical insurance payable to agent at each immigration office. No choice of providers
  • New stamps that will burn a full page in your passport, not just half a page like the previous ones.

He needs a distraction from the rampant election fraud under his nose and Joe is in the sitting duck in the firing line 🤔

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

The introduction of Artificial Intelligence that includes ten finger fingerprinting and iris recognition technology would speed up applications and make them harder to circumvent. 

Prawit said below thirteen months ago, on 14-02-2018:

"The two agencies were told to have the new system fully functioning in six months.

As part of the new system, the Immigration Bureau will cancel the use of the Immigration 6 form and instead use e-passport data, Kongcheep said.

He said each immigration checkpoint would be equipped with identity-checking equipment, such as fingerprint readers and passport scanners, to enter information into the database."

None of this is working, it's just more lies.

(Perhaps apart from a few passport scanners. reading the passport code, not the biometric data chip)

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1025048-foreigner-database-to-be-ready-in-six-months/

edit:

I've just noticed my post in the link above, which I made on the day (14-02-2018):

"[Sarcasm mode: on] Must be implemented in six months, eh? That's doublespeak for nothing will happen and they all hope everyone will have forgotten about it. I wait eagerly to be proved wrong. [Sarcasm mode: off]"

I have been saying for months that long stay expats in Thailand are currently under siege. 

Most were mocking my comments.

But anyone that can't see what is afoot here is entirely deluded.

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan was keen to put his own ideas on the table. 

We are going to have to Watch what he proposes ,he has ideas !? 

regards worgeordie

I am sure this is all due to the new closeness between Thailand and China, out with the West, in with the East, out with Democracy, in with Authoritarian Military/Elite rule.

7 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I have been saying for months that long stay expats in Thailand are currently under siege. 

Many of the ones who can still obtain a L.o.I. from their embassy, aren't at all. 

Addendum :

So far.