Big Joke: Promises easier, faster and more "watertight" Immigration rules

webfact

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Only the underfunded need to worry about any future changes in my opinion.

That's likely true. Let's define underfunded as anybody who brings and spends less than 6M baht per year in the country. No worries.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Thailand can't really have different rules for different ethnicities

Thailand can and does have different rules for different countries. If you don't want to be swamped by 1.6 billion Indians or 1.4 billion Chinese, you reflect that in visa requirements for those countries. Same with the 200 million Nigerians. There are 320 million Americans, otoh, and I can't imagine more than a handful trying to come to Thailand permanently or to scam the country. Same for the UK and Australia. 

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

Thailand can and does have different rules for different countries. If you don't want to be swamped by 1.6 billion Indians or 1.4 billion Chinese, you reflect that in visa requirements for those countries. Same with the 200 million Nigerians. There are 320 million Americans, otoh, and I can't imagine more than a handful trying to come to Thailand permanently or to scam the country. Same for the UK and Australia. 

But it ain't politically correct to point out some cultures are more prone to cause trouble, tsktsk.

I am concerned with these proposed changes but will take a wait and see attitude as I just renewed my 1 year visa last week using the B800,000 route.    Next year I had planned to go the married route so hoping their will be no drastic changes.

8 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Unfortunately Thailand like many other countries around the world is faced with a massive amounts a foreigners not just European but even more from China India Africa and many other parts of the world.

Thailand can't really have different rules for different ethnicities that would not be fair and therefore has no choice but to make their policies more restrictive to keep the hordes of people trying to escape other parts of the world out.

I don't think any of these policies are specifically aimed at westerners.

that's very unfortunate for a lot of honest law-abiding people that have been here for many years.  Especially the ones that have families or have been here a long time and have made Thailand their home.

They should really have grandfather clauses like they used to in the old days

Income verification letter stopped from

1...England---Expats predominantly white males

2...America--Expats predominantly white males

3...Australia...Expats predominantly white males

4...Denmark..Expats predominantly white males

6 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

LOL. The income method!  Why on earth do you think that will be maintained? It now requires actually work on behalf of immigration to check the details.  So for that reason alone it will be done away with.

I think the original problem was that Thai Immigration wanted the embassy to research and vouch for the income claimed and the first three didn't want that responsibility (Read " didn't want that work.")   I do have some sympathy with the embassy staff as those with clearly identifiable pension plans or 401k's etc are easy to approve.  Most of them issue an annual statement.  Just produce a certified copy or original of that.    But a guy may have huge assets overseas but for income depends on rent or a big share portfolio with dividends that fluctuate and come only a once or few times a year.  That is much harder to research and confirm as kosher.   Gross rent looks fantastic in the bank statements but gross rent less mortgage, accountancy and bank fees, local land taxes, insurances rental agency fees etc,  etc can on some properties be over the rent if the holder is going for capital gain and he has other properties or other income streams.  I am far from rich but I do have modest money from other sources but only 1/2 of my 65k a month comes from an easy to identify pension.  The rest is from sale of business, sale of shares, rent and other "difficult to easily confirm" sources.  And I do not want to tell Immigration (i.e. the police)  that I have 800k or 1.6m in the bank HERE!!!   So, I am leaving in May but that is only one of the several reasons I am going.

I do feel for those (including friends here) who just manage now and/or have family responsibilities here, retired or not.   It is not getting any more Long-stay friendly here, and that is for sure.   I will miss a lot of things but not the stresses and uncertainties.

9 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I always thought it was funny that I could go to the US embassy write any nonsense on a piece of paper and they would notarize it.

For a hefty fee of course

4 hours ago, smedly said:

There was a recent announcement about Tourist Visa's 2 for 1 and no limit on Border crossings plus re-entry permits so those with a TV can maintain it if they travel to another country and back again during their vacation - all very positive sensible things to encourage people to visit here - improving flexibility - I see no reason why expats who comply with the rules will not be treated equally well, those that don't comply - well I have no objections to them being dealt with.

One issue remains though - the current strength of the Thai baht is putting a lot of people off who are now going elsewhere for their annual holidays  

Yes those favorable changes which would have encouraged tourism and relaxed the rules a little were the subject of a Thai visa Breaking News headline article back in November.............

Somehow the proposed changes which were a help rather than a hindrance have not been implemented, probably because they dont suit the current get tough stance and ignore common sense policies.

7 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:
7 hours ago, jethro69 said:

Oh I could go on, but I'm too busy packing, Saturday morning I'm out. ???? 

Bragger!

I've been watching the noose tighten and the hammer falling for the last 7 or 8 years. Likewise I can't write much right now - I'm leaving for Vietnam on Monday

2 minutes ago, robsamui said:

I've been watching the noose tighten and the hammer falling for the last 7 or 8 years. Likewise I can't write much right now - I'm leaving for Vietnam on Monday

I you're in Saigon we can meet for Drinks Friday night (1 week tomorrow) ........... Saigon Green!

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I you're in Saigon we can meet for Drinks Friday night (1 week tomorrow) ........... Saigon Green!

I'll wear a silly hat and a look of harassed wonderment - so's you'll know me!

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Is it too much to ask for a single set of consistent rules that are applied in each office by all IOs? 

YES! Because if  you don't know the right person or don't TIP....NO service.  No money, NO honey...get out, or we black list your A##

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Racism is alive and thriving here towards all foreigners, especially the neighbours, who are considered less than human by many Thais. White folk are kind of tolerated, though definitely not loved, but clearly there is a mindset that dark skinned people are almost universally not wanted. Judging a book by its cover I believe is the term.

White people are no more welcome than black people - same in China!!

7 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Many of the ones who can still obtain a L.o.I. from their embassy, aren't at all. 

Addendum :

So far. 

Hows about to go the small step and equalize the immigration rules for all immigration office in thailand. At time it seems to be "same same but different". Solve this first, than stumble up the big steps.

15 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

It wasn't the Thai government that stopped them.  They just asked that they actually verified what was said on them.  It was those countries who refused to do so.

After 10 years living here, I have finally had enough, it feels good. I knew on the very best of days the Thai Government tolerate us. And it is conditional, be seen not heard. I remember in 2010 Sutep, as second in command of the government being quoted on the front page of the BP that he had no respect for anything a farang had to say. He speaks for so many in authority to this day.

Skipping to today's fiasco, Big Joke will continue to burden farangs with his "rules on immigration" 1 a month it seems, until we all get the message. Farang's are not welcome anymore. I reached mine when informed that instead of mailing in my 90-day report or reporting online I get to go to CW to spend another day with clerks thumbing through my bank looking for a reason to reject you, maybe 1 baht short 1 day during the period you cannot go under the 6 months rule. 

Thailand should go from number 3 to 33 in no time. They are doing a great job getting to the top and bottom of every list a country doesn't want to be on

After the farangs leave, who will care for all the people in the villages up country I wonder? You know, the

ones that have supported the 2 and 3 older generations for many years. 

Best of luck to the wonderful Thai people.

7 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Surely it would be common sense to wait and see the new list of rules/regs before commenting/jumping to conclusions??
Ps..I'm a happily married man living in the Issan Province and have not encountered any " farang haters ".!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

so are you telling us you have different visa rules to the rest of us?

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

It wasn't the Thai government that stopped them.  They just asked that they actually verified what was said on them.  It was those countries who refused to do so.

You re clearly ignorant of the reason WHY those embassies refused to do so.

7 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Not going to look good for BJ when immigration are chucking 65+ year old people into the IDC. Subsequent deaths could cause him a big problem!

Why do you think they won’t lie blame the foreigner like they always do?

35 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Unfortunately Thailand like many other countries around the world is faced with a massive amounts a foreigners not just European but even more from China India Africa and many other parts of the world.

Thailand can't really have different rules for different ethnicities that would not be fair and therefore has no choice but to make their policies more restrictive to keep the hordes of people trying to escape other parts of the world out.

that's very unfortunate for a lot of honest law-abiding people that have been here for many years.  Especially the ones that have families or have been here a long time and have made Thailand their home.

They should really have grandfather clauses like they used to in the old days

Each persons personal situation shoud be taking into consideration, epecially for those who have families here. I think it;s extrmely unfair to put so much financial pressure  on someone who has lived here for many years , that has  never broken  the law and who rasies their family well, only to be torn apart by some ridiculous financial requirements

"Channel 7 TV reported that the chief wanted to make things easier, faster and more watertight." 

Easier, huh? Hmph! The last time that he said that he was going to make things "easier' for ex pats he doubled the length of time that 800,000 baht had to be "seasoned" in the bank (A THAI bank, by the way) from 3 months to 6 months, and then said that 400,000 baht had to be left in permanently!

I would hate to think what he might do if if he decided to make things difficult!  

I would have thought that whatever party /coalition takes office over the next month will make decisions on the running of the country which would include future immigration rules I think the man in charge of IMO has only limited powers everyone is replaceable when a newly formed government takes over the running of the country . The next few months are going to be very interesting.

1 minute ago, Kaopad999 said:

Each persons personal situation shoud be taking into consideration, epecially for those who have families here. I think it;s extrmely unfair to put so much financial pressure  on someone who has lived here for many years , that has  never broken  the law and who rasies their family well, only to be torn apart by some ridiculous financial requirements

Hear, hear!

Archived