Monk savagely beats his drinking buddy to death in broad daylight at Chiang Mai temple

webfact

Monk savagely beats his drinking buddy to death in broad daylight at Chiang Mai temple

8pm.jpg

Image cation: Monk with heavy fists

Mae Ping police were called to the temple of Ku Kham after witnesses said they saw an itinerant monk beat a man to death. 

Phra Wichian, 55, was seen viciously punching and kicking a 40-50 year old man. 

When the man lay still on the ground the monk kept kicking him, said witnesses. 

Then he coolly walked out of the temple saying: "He was drunk". 

Witnesses said that Wichian was also drinking after the other man went to buy beer in the morning. 

The victim has not been named.

People at the temple said that Phra Wichian was not one of their monks. He came from Nakorn Sawan and had asked to stay as the temple is near the bus station. They could not say if he was a real monk or just masquerading as one in robes. 

The victim was a similar character - though he was not in robes at the time. 

Sanook reported and showed in a video later in the day that Phra Wichian was arrested on the Chiang Mai to Lamphun Road near the Kawila Camp.

He denied being involved and refused to take part in a reenactment. 

He has been charged with assault causing death with Mae Ping police saying they have all the witnesses and evidence they need to make the charge stick. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-28

25 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Monks in general need reining in. Wouldn't go amiss if the joining criteria was re-assessed from the current "has a heartbeat" requirement and that's it.

You think you just need to have a heart beat?  I challenge you to temporarily ordain and then report back to us on how you magically didn't need to learn anything or do anything and they just let you be a monk, I look forward to your excuses.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Monks get too much respect...as do most men of the cloth...they are quite human...not diety...????

The respect is paid to the religious figure he represent not the person himself.... 

Indicative behavior of Thailand...No surprise anymore.  Everyday is a battle to avoid conflict here.  Makes living in the US and its crazy gun happy folks sane and sensible.  I have been really re-evaluating how much longer I'll remain.   Feeling the immigration and life in general is much more of a gamble/risk here than some other countries.  

I see Monk-hood in Thailand as a form of social welfare... There is no financial safety net in Thailand, as such everyone has to get a job or turn to crime... 

Guys can either Join the Military or the Police force if they don't have criminal records, or they can work as factory laborers... some luckier than others may be able to become moto or taxi drivers... Many, through a lack of viable alternatives turn to monk-hood just to survive.... these could be ex-cons the uneducated, the destitute and extremely poor....  

As a social welfare system monk-hood in Thailand definitely offers a place for the needy, but we should not be under the illusion that many of these guys are in anyway or form 'men of the cloth' or having reached any level of nirvana... they are simply people without any other alternative and as such bad eggs will always be present. 

What is disappointing is the charade played by the whole of society with the masses pulling the wool over their own eyes and following the pretense.

27 minutes ago, Cereal said:

He refused to take part in the reenactment. I didn't know they had a choice. 

Yes, and even on the odd occasion, they don't confess. Very rare that though, usually reserved for the wealthy.

Temples charging not only foreigners to enter, but laity Buddhist who are an integral part of the Sangha;  Drunk monks; Monks who don't follow the Vinayas; Monks who don't practice meditation.

The Sangha is destroying itself; the Dhamma is in decline.  Buddhism is in jeopardy.  Greed has trumped Dana.  There is real danger here.

Archived