Free WiFi now available at 25 airports in Thailand

webfact

Free WiFi now available at 25 airports

By The Nation

wifi.jpg

FILE photo//Source: Wikipedia

Passengers can now use WiFi hotspots at 25 airports in Thailand to connect to the Internet free of charge for three hours a day.

Ampawan Wannako, director general of the Airports Department, said the project to provide free Wi-Fi services was completed in cooperation with her department and the Advance Wireless Network Co Ltd.

Ampawan said passengers simply need to register and identify themselves for the first time via Facebook of DOA WiFI AIS to use the free services. Passengers do not have to use AIS mobile phone services to be eligible for the free Internet connection, she added.

Only three airports run by her department have no free Wi-Fi services because the department has surveyed and found that passengers do not use WiFi. The three airports without free Wi-Fi are Pattani, Mae Sariang and Tak.

The 25 airports with free Wi-Fi services include Krabi, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ubon Ratchathani, Surat Thani, Mae Sot, Chumphon, Trang, Hua Hin and Pai airports, she said.

She said an initial survey found that passengers were happy with the speed of Internet connection of the free Wi-Fi services, which were provided as part of the department's plan to turn its airports smart airports in line with world standards.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366700

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-28

Don't forget, the new law: any device connected to the internet can be confiscated at the discretion of the internet police, without a court order. So if you have a nice new iphone and one of the boys needs a new phone, yours might get confiscated, especially if you're in the departure lounge. Either you won't have time to appeal and  challenge the confiscation, or you'll miss your flight.

Only three airports run by her department have no f ree Wi-Fi services because the department has surveyed and found that passengers do not use WiFi. The three airports without free Wi-Fi are Pattani, Mae Sar iang and Ta k .

Thai logic again.

Never managed to get it work in Swampy airport, but obviously it's me and my phone and absolutely not the inefficient wifi.:welcomeani:

Also agree with a fellow poster above, that any corrupt cop or officer at the airport, can steal confiscate one's phone,  on some phony grotesque ground.

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

Ampawan said passengers simply need to register and identify themselves for the first time via Facebook of DOA WiFI AIS to use the free services. 

Which you have to be online to do!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chicken and egg

Yeah, it's pretty much useless for tourists.

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

Don't forget, the new law: any device connected to the internet can be confiscated at the discretion of the internet police, without a court order. So if you have a nice new iphone and one of the boys needs a new phone, yours might get confiscated, especially if you're in the departure lounge. Either you won't have time to appeal and  challenge the confiscation, or you'll miss your flight.

When did this law come in ? 

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

Ampawan said passengers simply need to register and identify themselves for the first time via Facebook of DOA WiFI AIS to use the free services. 

Connect to the wifi network then log in with facebook

About two weeks ago I was at BKK airport, the free connection was pretty bad so I paid 25 baht for AIS internet, took an hour to click on. I think AIS knew I was at the airport, figured I was outbound, so delayed for an hour to turn my internet on. Never again.

4 hours ago, CeeGee said:

It's probably no different to using wi-fi at many hotels. Enable wi-fi access on your device, select the network DOA WiFI AIS and follow the log-in procedure.

If you need to have a Facebook account, then that is the bigger problem for those that don't.

13 hours ago, toenail said:

Whenever I’m using a free wi-fi connection at any airport around the world I can almost assume it will be a weak connection most of the time. 

I guess you haven't passed through Hong Kong Airport then.

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:
15 hours ago, CeeGee said:

Connect to the wifi network then log in with facebook

That doesn't work.  What you get in, say, hotels is a special logon screen.  Facebook isn't like that - it's a normal website and you need full Internet access to access it.

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

That doesn't work.  What you get in, say, hotels is a special logon screen.  Facebook isn't like that - it's a normal website and you need full Internet access to access it.

Lots of websites offer a "log in using facebook" option. That way they get your information to send you ads. 

Example booking.com

image.png.af77f9b691f9b6afdd1b82533668db22.png

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Lots of websites offer a "log in using facebook" option. That way they get your information to send you ads. 

Example booking.com

You clearly don't understand.  To get to booking.com you already have to have a connection to the Internet.  Then you can also connect to Facebook.

In the scenario described for the airport you can initially only get as far as the login screen, and only after you've passed that will you have access to the Internet and so to Facebook.  What is being done requires you to register elsewhere with a full Internet connection to Facebook; that registration can not be done directly using the airport WiFi.

28 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You clearly don't understand.  To get to booking.com you already have to have a connection to the Internet.  Then you can also connect to Facebook.

In the scenario described for the airport you can initially only get as far as the login screen, and only after you've passed that will you have access to the Internet and so to Facebook.  What is being done requires you to register elsewhere with a full Internet connection to Facebook; that registration can not be done directly using the airport WiFi.

Here is how it works, you connect to the free wifi, go to the logon screen, press the logon with facebook button, you are then redirected to the free wifi facebook page, at this point you are at the registration page and they know who you are, thats it, you are now registered,  it usually says something like press "like" to continue with free internet. I have used these free wifis a hundred times, the registration happens as you login, using your facebook profile.

logon screens give you internet access straight away but the only site you can visit initially is the registration page, and there is a popup window that takes you there, after you vist that page, you are free to visit other pages.

30 million tourists use this free wifi everyday, I think it may have come up if it doesn't actually work .

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is how it works, you connect to the free wifi, go to the logon screen, press the logon with facebook button, you are then redirected to the free wifi facebook page, at this point you are at the registration page and they know who you are, thats it, you are now registered,  it usually says something like press "like" to continue with free internet. I have used these free wifis a hundred times, the registration happens as you login, using your facebook profile.

logon screens give you internet access straight away but the only site you can visit initially is the registration page, and there is a popup window that takes you there, after you vist that page, you are free to visit other pages.

30 million tourists use this free wifi everyday, I think it may have come up if it doesn't actually work .

And what if you want nothing to do with Facebook?

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

You'll be forced to give-up all the passwords too, or miss your flight.

If you wish to hide any/all of your phone contents while traveling:

- backup your phone and put that backup in a safe third party cloud storage

- wipe all your data off the phone, use a paper contact list as needed

- replace your digital entertainment with a paperback book

- restore your phone upon arrival

Archived