German tourist beaten over Chiang Mai bar bill

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Never take recommendations from a tuk.tuk driver.

2. Karaoke is a front for prostitution.

3. It is also a clip joint.

4. At any bar, pay for each drink as they come. If they try to keep the change, request your change, then leave.

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Chang Khlan apparently has several unlicensed karaoke bars used to trick foreigners with high bills and assaulting them if they refuse to pay. Many closed after a police crackdown but had since reopened

They reopen after a tuktuk driver returns some lost money to a tourist.

48 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

You did.....far better in early 00's.

Thailand is trying to transition to the Mexican version of Singapore now.

It was still great in 2009, but it's crept down to not all that nice now.

Who would believe it could get so bad in just ten years?

The government, immigration, bars, girls, even the air is unbreathable. 

43 minutes ago, jackdd said:
1 hour ago, AloisAmrein said:

We should do the same to Thais here in Europe. We can already now see the big outcry in Thai medias and newspapers. Thailand is the top of hypocrisy.

You mean like this? http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2019/01/09/thai-man-escapes-with-life-in-harrowing-violent-scam-in-parisian-club/

"Though there was no immediate way to corroborate the details of his story"---  Ah yes the old story time adventures ... :biggrin:  I think he should have found some money in a taxi and returned it to the taxi driver for a finale.

These places have always been here. I lived down past Chiang Mai land in the aughts and there they were. I'm living on the other side of CM land a decade later and still there. As long as Tuk Tuk drivers can bring in fresh meat ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, ShortTimed said:

I am saying that the only people gullible enough to believe this guys tale of being an innocent victim are those who have an anti-Thai bias.

I believe him, my 20 year old Thai daughter believes him too, and my Thai girlfriend.

Some foreigners are naive and a bit gullible, never having encountered such behaviours in their home countries.

Plenty of old guys posting on this forum think their much younger 'partners' love them and aren't sex workers.

How can you say not very smart for a foreigner to go into a bar alone that they don’t know?

my guess is that’s about 80% of adult male tourists....

Maybe best to stick with outdoor patio-style establishments when new to a country until one gets the lay of the land.

Myself, being no stranger to bars, pubs and taverns back home likely has an unfair advantage over a German man in knowing these things.

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Hope he remembers next time the golden rule,  in any drinking hole in Thailand.

You order 1 drink for you - you pay straight on delivery. And that's it.

No waiting for the total bill as it does get tempting for the employees to rip you off and cheat.

Very wise advise for everyone not just newbies!

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

She was begging. I always tip, give a few quid if they don't blatantly ask. 

That is also my approach - 'ask and ye shall not receive'  Do your job and I will tip you, maybe even buy a lady drink!  This is based on more than 30 years of Thai experience.

Well to paraphrase here is what locals said, the name of the karaoke bar was not named by Thai language media, the bar in particular is said to be unlicensed and has been involved in similar incidents in the past. A karaoke bar on Chang Klan Road – it’s not clear if it was the same bar, presented a bill of 160,000 baht to a Korean man in October while in another case, a karaoke bar presented a Chinese national with a bill for 14,000 baht in September.

Holy snot dragon, a bill for 160,00????  That korean man got hit big time.

1 hour ago, isaanjohnno said:

Golden Rule- You get a drink and you pay for it immediately- no bar bills. Stupid people always look for a scapegoat.    

Golden Rule - inform yourself of where you are, no need to worry about bar bills being inflated in 99% of bars in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Golden Rule - inform yourself of where you are, no need to worry about bar bills being inflated in 99% of bars in Thailand.

99%? That's the biggest misrepresentation on the forum for March. Congrats...do you work at CNN?

2 minutes ago, soistalker said:

99%? That's the biggest misrepresentation on the forum for March. Congrats...do you work at CNN?

I don't think it is at all, how many provinces even have one bar that is involved in scamming tourists?  It is only happening in a few cities and only happening within those cities in a handful of places, it is plain to see to anyone who does not troll the grimiest haunts looking for young women to exploit that this issue is not a Thai wide one but is restricted to the places where the sex pats can be easily preyed upon.

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

it seems some folks are just not travel savy  .....  in any country, if someone who you don't even know invites you to any drinking establishment, bar, kareoke, gambling den or otherwise .....  you should smell trouble straight away.

Depends on where ones brain is in this moment.
Between the ears or deeper...

13 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

Not very smart to go to a bar in a foreigner country by yourself. Specially if you can not communicate with the precious ones and their pimps. 

You're kidding right?

Some of the best nights I have ever had and some of the most interesting people I've ever met were in water-front bars in Mombasa, Dar-es-salaam, Surabaya, Balikpapan, Pointe Noire, Luanda, Valetta and dozens of other places and counties. All of them visited all on my lonesome with no difficulty in communicating, even if I didn't speak the language.

You should get out more and live a little.

24 minutes ago, moutamine said:

What?!  You got your history class all wrong.  The Germans were wiping their arse with your puny English face until the Americans came and gave them a woopy! You were just small potatoes for Germans!!

Hardly, the Germans were being slaughtered by the Russians and would most likely have lost without the American involvement, it just would have taken longer, you're right about the British though, they were losing, so who knows where it would have gone without the Americans as the Russians would not necessarily have stopped at Berlin, the Brits may have been commies.

Archived