German tourist beaten over Chiang Mai bar bill

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Yes another one. should we be surprised ? If its your first time here and you hadn't done your homework,lesson learned.

They may well interview the bar owner who will deny anything and wouldnt it be good idea to interview the tuk tuk driver that set off the path of this ongoing scam.

If the authorities cant clean up the karaoke bars, they know are unlicensed, what hope is there. Yes its not hard to theorise who owns them

The bars owners are colluding with the police and paying them bribes, so when you file a complaint they'll just said we'll interview them but won't do anything to them... so it's a lose lose situation for the foreigners. Laos and Cambodia sound more fun when come to honesty!

Only for the case you don't know it. In Germany is prostitution allowed. Prostitutes are legal taxpayers. And believe me it gives much more prostitutes there as in Thailand. And ST is a lot cheaper as here. You can google for it if you don't believe it.

Well I will have to take your word for it that German parents going to Thailand on holiday with their families would read this story and worry that they may be unsafe coming here.

17 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Yes another one. should we be surprised ? If its your first time here and you hadn't done your homework,lesson learned.

They may well interview the bar owner who will deny anything and wouldnt it be good idea to interview the tuk tuk driver that set off the path of this ongoing scam.

If the authorities cant clean up the karaoke bars, they know are unlicensed, what hope is there. Yes its not hard to theorise who owns them

FYI: in Germany a Karaoke bar is .... surprise: a Karaoke bar. So, what homework do you expect him to do when a taxi driver asks: "wanna go to a karaoke bar?" And if you don't know what a Karaoke bar is supposed to be, take up a dictionary.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The guy doesn't look like he was beaten up or needed an ambulance, a 5,000 bill baht doesn't sound excessive if the guy was there for a couple of hours and buying lady drinks. 

I was in a restaurant last night and took a bottle of Sangsom with me , a ladyboy friend from nearby had kaupad kung and I had pad prik pau , total bill after an hour 148B , this included water and a coke. That's more like it ; 5000B for a night in Changers , I don't bloody think so !

15 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

Well I will have to take your word for it that German parents going to Thailand on holiday with their families would read this story and worry that they may be unsafe coming here.

I am sure the parents are intelligent enough to understand what happened here and don't will worry about it because they not visit BARS/Karaoke Bars with their Kids. ????

FYI: in Germany a Karaoke bar is .... surprise: a Karaoke bar. So, what homework do you expect him to do when a taxi driver asks: "wanna go to a karaoke bar?" And if you don't know what a Karaoke bar is supposed to be, take up a dictionary.

There are the following possibilities:

1) A German man new to Thailand came here to sing Karaoke on his first night. Thailand is known the world over for its Karaoke.

2) The tuk-tuk driver showed him naked photos and said, “You like lady?” And he said lets go.

3) ???

But even if he thought he was going for Karaoke, wouldn’t he have realized before drinking four beers that something was different in this one?

3 minutes ago, snowgard said:

I am sure the parents are intelligent enough to understand what happened here and don't will worry about it because they not visit BARS/Karaoke Bars with their Kids. ????

Unless they might want to sing Karaoke ... but I guess when they enter they might realize that they are wrong there.

This will happen if the government is changing many rules and regulations on the foreigners so the local will take an the advantage of them. And sooner will happen everywhere, because of the local needs to survive. If there is no one come here so they local ripping the one walked in. They need to be aware of what is going on.

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i thought Germany had to give Poland back.

right, one thing I was told in my early days in LOS, was don't go into a Thai karaoke bar, don't walk down a dark soi, and don't listen to Tuk Tuk drivers and taxi drivers trying to take you places you don't want to go to.

However I have been caught out, in pat pong I went into a bar to watch a show, never been b4, sat down had one beer then went to leave and charged 1000 BHT for the beer, they let me go as I rang my Thai wife who was shopping and came to the rescue.

I don't know of many expats who have not been caught by some scam or drugged, one guy I knew was a doctor and lived in LOS for 20 years then got drugged by a high class girl who sat down at his table in Sukhomvit, ect ect------

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Easier for the tourist to point out the bar than the Tuk tuk driver.  Could you?

22 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I was in a restaurant last night and took a bottle of Sangsom with me , a ladyboy friend from nearby had kaupad kung and I had pad prik pau , total bill after an hour 148B , this included water and a coke. That's more like it ; 5000B for a night in Changers , I don't bloody think so !

You took your own alcohol and were not buying lady drinks, so hardly comparable in any regard. Buy a bottle of sangsom in a karaoke bar probably 500 baht. 3-4 rounds of lady drinks for several girls (@200 baht each) could easily run a couple of thousand baht. You pay for the girls to sit with you in a karaoke bar.

17 hours ago, smedly said:

Good advice but I would add - if you don't know the place ask the price before ordering and pay the bill immediately - there have been many reports about these types of bars in Chang Mai and other places

If I go to a bar I am not familiar with and they are not showing a price list then I ask before ordering and immediately check the bill, some bars don't like this for very obvious reasons, their ability to rip me off diminishes dramatically 

If they don’t display prices they don’t want my business. Goes for all shops. 

They did that to me too. Asked tuktuk take me to club. He took me to karaoke on some main rd. I'm middle of nowhere. I decided to check it out. I was only 1 customer. Had few drinks food and they gave me 25k bill. Fought with them all a bit then had to pay with card. They didn't want 7k cash. So paid card morning called bank got it all reversed. Free party. Greed doesn't pay. 

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i thought Germany had to give Poland back.

Artur Wojciechowski is polish not German name.

And if u knew anything u would know that after ww2 Germany lost to Poland parts of thier land like Śląsk aka Silesia, Gdańsk city etc. Poland lost on east Vilnius to Latwia etc... 

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Buy a bottle of sangsom in a karaoke bar probably 500 baht. 

You are joking? 500 Baht, I witnessed a farang getting charged 1500 Baht in a well know pub in Phuket he didn't have a clue

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The 35-year-old Arthur Wojciechowski, who sustained facial bruises,

I enlarged the OP photo as much as I could on my laptop and cannot see one cut, bruise, or abrasion on his face. 

Think he is sensationalizing a bit.  I like to sing with live bands, so doubt I would ever visit a karaoke bar here. 

Good advice posted here - Thanks.

I enlarged the OP photo as much as I could on my laptop and cannot see one cut, bruise, or abrasion on his face.   

Think he is sensationalizing a bit.  I like to sing with live bands, so doubt I would ever visit a karaoke bar here. 

Good advice posted here - Thanks.

It was his soul that suffered the greatest abuse and his earlier held belief that Karaoke bars the world over were a “safe zone”.

They stole his innocence those bustards.

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Many closed after a police crackdown but had since reopened, a source said. 

They mean, closed the doors for a week then re-opened for business as usual... of course paying a fee to operate, licensed or not !

Archived