Police and suspect tight lipped over assault of toddler in Pattaya

webfact

Police and suspect tight lipped over assault of toddler in Pattaya

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The police volunteer charged with assaulting a two year old boy with a hand held weapon has been interviewed by his colleagues at Nong Prue police station in Pattaya. 

He paid 10,000 baht bail money in cash and was released after questioning. 

He avoided reporters' questions and requests for pictures and has changed his Facebook page. 

Other police in the case remain tight lipped though justice for all has been promised.

Earlier in the week Kanya Tomklang and her husband went out at night to eat with their son Sam, aged two, sitting between them. After seeing a police checkpoint they doubled back on their motorcycle afraid of having to pay a fine.

A police volunteer - now named as ten year veteran Jakkapop Bunrod - jumped out of the shadows holding a weapon of some kind and hit the child in the head.

Sam needed three stitches and is being monitored in Bang Lamung Hospital amid fears he may have suffered a brain injury.

Yesterday afternoon investigating officer Pol Lt-Col Phanuphat Jongapichaikun spent two hours with the mother at the hospital before leaving and saying nothing to waiting reporters. 

At 6pm Jakkapop gave himself up and heard charges of assault. He paid 10,000 baht and was released on bail. 

He refused to have anything to do with Daily News reporters who similarly have had no luck talking to officers who manned the checkpoint. 

Daily News reported that Jakkapop had changed his profile picture on Facebook and left a message accepting that he had done wrong but asking his detractors: "Have you never done anything wrong and fled the scene?"

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-29

Normally when the cops are saying nothing when one of their own is in trouble, it means he will face minimum punishment if any, (and that purely to save some face), as the fix is being worked on. One suspects we will hear very little if anything more about how this case unfolds.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Normally when the cops are saying nothing when one of their own is in trouble, it means he will face minimum punishment if any, (and that purely to save some face), as the fix is being worked on. One suspects we will hear very little if anything more about how this case unfolds.

It will unfold between palms, and a bang on the ear. back on duty when dust settles as new bad ass cases take over. 

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I have.

Can't say I've hit a 2 year old in the head with a truncheon (stick/baseball bat/iron pipe) either.

he tried to stop potential criminals from avoiding a check point. He could not see the child.

I don't understand why the focus is on him and not on the parents who brought this to their son.

They should have known that turning in sight of a check point makes them highly suspicious.

11 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

he tried to stop potential criminals from avoiding a check point. He could not see the child.

Obviously avoiding a illegal police helmet check 'instant fine' is a serious criminal act, and you deserve to have your child beaten to death for such behaviour.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Obviously avoiding a illegal police helmet check 'instant fine' is a serious criminal act, and you deserve to have your child beaten to death for such behaviour.

seems you don't want to understand. Trying to escape a police checkpoint is always highly suspicious. Police could not know if he was a harmless lawless Thai just trying to avoid a fine - or a wanted dangerous murderer trying to avoid arrest.

8 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

seems you don't want to understand. Trying to escape a police checkpoint is always highly suspicious. Police could not know if he was a harmless lawless Thai just trying to avoid a fine - or a wanted dangerous murderer trying to avoid arrest.

While I understand your point, I can't recall ever hearing of a serious criminal being arrested at a routine checkpoint. 99%+ of those trying to evade a stop do so for minor reasons to avoid paying the cops money. That aside though, there has to come a point at which reasonable levels are used by the cops to stop that person riding off. Smacking anyone around the head when they are on a moving bike can kill. If we take the stop people breaking the law at all costs, where does it stop? A cop shooting at your car for doing 45 in a 40 limit? After all, all they need to catch up with you later is your registration plate, so there is no reason to be excessive..

Sure these people should have stopped, but which is the greater lawlessness here? Not stopping or hospitalising a toddler?

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

As they only want 200bht for no D/L I don't see how they would catch a 'dangerous murderer'.

Sorry left my ID at home here's your 200bht fine.

20 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why has he not joined the force during these ten years?  Mental issues, didn't pass the Police Academy?

Mental issues and not passing the Police Academy would surely not prevent the average village idiot from joining the RTP.

The primary reason would likely be that he or his family could not afford the purchase price of such a permanent full time position plus the cost of gun and equipment. 

8 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I don't understand why the focus is on him and not on the parents who brought this to their son.

They should have known that turning in sight of a check point makes them highly suspicious.

Considering such an obstuse statement, there is likely little chance that you could understand what constitutes a victim versus perpetrator. 

Looking after their own again cowardly bastards. What happened to getting the police force fit and in shape, should have seen the size of the fat pig who pulled me over recently in Pattaya. I doubt there’s any spring rolls left in Asia.

6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I can't recall ever hearing of a serious criminal being arrested at a routine checkpoint.

I've read many times of people carrying drugs being chased and apprehended after they avoided a checkpoint. They don't always end well for those making a getaway as the police are not afraid to use a firearm if it appears the getaway person is making them lose face by escaping from them.

'Sure these people should have stopped, but which is the greater lawlessness here? Not stopping or hospitalising a toddler?' - Do you really think he was deliberately targeting the kid? Or that he didn't see the kid hidden between the father and mother on the bike?

6 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

While I understand your point, I can't recall ever hearing of a serious criminal being arrested at a routine checkpoint. 99%+ of those trying to evade a stop do so for minor reasons to avoid paying the cops money. That aside though, there has to come a point at which reasonable levels are used by the cops to stop that person riding off. Smacking anyone around the head when they are on a moving bike can kill. If we take the stop people breaking the law at all costs, where does it stop? A cop shooting at your car for doing 45 in a 40 limit? After all, all they need to catch up with you later is your registration plate, so there is no reason to be excessive..

Sure these people should have stopped, but which is the greater lawlessness here? Not stopping or hospitalising a toddler?

The guy probably had his Bint Noi watching on from the side lines and was just showing her what a brave and dedicated person he was.

A real Thai male for you

12 hours ago, sweatalot said:

all i can say is "wow"

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be fair , even kids mother already stated he did not know kid was there.

i believe it was an accident. 

Highly unlikely he meant to hit the little guy.

parents are not innocent in this as they did try to flee , and their excuse is just silly and totally justifies him trying to stop them.

fair would be for police to cover all medical bills and sins compensation and for parents to be charged with trying to flee. 

Thai news also reporting father of the kid has extensive criminal history and is out on bail, this is why he wanted to flee the check point 

13 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Yeah, its said that all judgement is self - judgement ...

https://beingtruetoyou.com/all-judgment-is-self-judgment/

On 3/29/2019 at 8:20 AM, webfact said:

Yesterday afternoon investigating officer Pol Lt-Col Phanuphat Jongapichaikun spent two hours with the mother at the hospital before leaving and saying nothing to waiting reporters.

A monetary deal will be worked out as usual & all will remain quiet!

On 3/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, BritManToo said:

This is a very stupid excuse!!! You try to turn it down to a "helmet check"! This checks are also to catch drivers without driving license, wanted criminals, drug dealers, ...!!!

The sun need wroters like you, ...

On 3/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, sweatalot said:

- Criminals?

- So you are OK with their methods, usually kick the bike over?

On 3/31/2019 at 2:20 AM, scorecard said:

- Criminals?

- So you are OK with their methods, usually kick the bike over?

So if law breakers run away they should be allowed to escape?

Not sure that is much of a deterrent.

I read one place he simply held the truncheon in front of him, others he struck out as they passed.  I see it as the fault of them trying to escape. People need to understand their actions have consequences.

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So if law breakers run away they should be allowed to escape?

Not sure that is much of a deterrent.

I read one place he simply held the truncheon in front of him, others he struck out as they passed.  I see it as the fault of them trying to escape. People need to understand their actions have consequences.

And there should be boundaries on terms of how violent police are allowed to act, and relevant to the circumstances.

Doing a U turn to avoid a road check is hardly the end of the world. 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

And there should be boundaries on terms of how violent police are allowed to act, and relevant to the circumstances.

That was not the only infringement. Stupid to risk their child for a 'not the end of the world' situation. 

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not the end of the world, BUT we can agree on that it was a bit suspiciously ...

Anyway, it doesn't justify the act of the voluntary policeman who obviously was a bit to eager which fortunately ended up accidentally hitting the child ...

Archived