Brits in Thailand in 2018: Fourteen suffer rape or sexual assault and ten suicides

webfact

take booze out of the mix and these numbers change dramatically..
Yeah
So you think that take drink out of the equation that people should act responsibly and not drink alcohol while on holiday. I put it to you it's epidemic in much higher figures in Asia not just Thailand albeit drunk/not drunk that are never reported. I'm not saying you're a Thai apologist but believe young women coming to this country for instance there is definitely safety in numbers. My own two daughters are coming to Thailand soon but they will be with a couple of our companies guards. Otherwise, I would not even contemplate letting them come here or would regret it for the rest of my life. I couldn't care less what others think, it's what I think that counts and no offence to you personally my friend.
Have a great day.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

6 road traffic deaths???? <deleted> Or are they using the Thai system,only counting those dead at the road side.More information on the hospital deaths may increase this figure.

First up 'counting those dead at the roadside only' is NOT the Thai way. Hospital deaths are added to the stats.

Secondly I'm not surprised at this low figure. Brits, along with our fellow westernized compatriots are well trained, experienced and by and large cautious drivers. And as we are generally an older lot, we tend to be even more cautious.

Just stay off the booze when you're out there on the roads folks!

21 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Yeah
So you think that take drink out of the equation that people should act responsibly and not drink alcohol while on holiday. I put it to you it's epidemic in much higher figures in Asia not just Thailand albeit drunk/not drunk that are never reported. I'm not saying you're a Thai apologist but believe young women coming to this country for instance there is definitely safety in numbers. My own two daughters are coming to Thailand soon but they will be with a couple of our companies guards. Otherwise, I would not even contemplate letting them come here or would regret it for the rest of my life. I couldn't care less what others think, it's what I think that counts and no offence to you personally my friend.
Have a great day.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nah, I'm not suggesting that people don't drink on holiday. I just believe when people are using drugs they should have situational awareness especially in a foreign country. A lot of incidents occur when judgement is altered and the realization they're not in a nanny state anymore escapes them. YOU have to look after YOU when you leave the shores of your mother country, if you want to be babysat, stay home. As far as you having 'company guards' looking after your daughters imo that's a little over the top unless your planning to stay in the worst BKK slum. I've had relatives and friends visit me over 15 yrs now and nobody has had an issue here but then again they haven't gotten blind drunk and ran amok. I've seen enough in my time in Thailand to note a lot of visitors (and expat) troubles could of been avoided with a little less reliance on the courage in the bottle.

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

...booze and illicit narcotics.

In my home county in the UK, I think in 2017, there were more people busted for "drug-driving" than there were for drunk driving. UK roadside drug-driving tests only yield results for cannabis & cocaine (I think).

Yet the accident and death rate through drunk/drug driving Brit would likely be lower than that of an average Thai driver given the relative RTA deaths per head of population.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But there were also figures related to "Brits Behaving Badly": Twelve people were arrested for assault, 35 for drugs related matters and 11 for theft. 

Khon Angrit bad; Khon Thai good
But!  How about a statistical analysis? 
Out of the entire population of Brits visiting Thailand, how many commit criminal acts; then
Out of the entire population of Thais living in Thailand how many commit criminal acts? 

I doubt those stats will be published.  Instead, mass media will simply allude to "Foreigners are potential criminals and need to be monitored with more diligence than Thais released from prison and on parole.  But correct me if I'm wrong.  My perception is only from what I've read.

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Nah, I'm not suggesting that people don't drink on holiday. I just believe when people are using drugs they should have situational awareness especially in a foreign country. A lot of incidents occur when judgement is altered and the realization they're not in a nanny state anymore escapes them. YOU have to look after YOU when you leave the shores of your mother country, if you want to be babysat, stay home. As far as you having 'company guards' looking after your daughters imo that's a little over the top unless your planning to stay in the worst BKK slum. I've had relatives and friends visit me over 15 yrs now and nobody has had an issue here but then again they haven't gotten blind drunk and ran amok. I've seen enough in my time in Thailand to note a lot of visitors (and expat) troubles could of been avoided with a little less reliance on the courage in the bottle.

Especially spiked drinks that are unattended at pubs or discos...

12 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

... in addition to lost/stolen passports vs sold passports and thefts vs insurance scams ...

30 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Often the foreigners are their own worst enemies. When i see foreign women walking around nearly half naked and often drunk late at night or in the day in a conservative country you have to wonder what in the hell are they thinking

We may assume its not much thinking involved at all ...

15 hours ago, Chassa said:

Don't Brits die of old age!

How can you ever feel old with sexy chicks in the twenties around you - it may kill you, but you will never feel old.. :thumbsup:

On 3/29/2019 at 10:06 AM, from the home of CC said:

And Drugs and Pills ... the good Citizens of the Good Old U.K. being very good at those also from my quite broad experiance on the road ! .... 

15 hours ago, ttrd said:

We may assume its not much thinking involved at all ...

No there is NO thinking involved. But the foreign women always bitch and moan how dare you "I am the victim "! There is a intense arrogance that they have the need to show off to the world their so called hot bodies. Even some overweight monsters in their 60's in bikinis with 90% of their butts hanging out walking down main street in Thailand. It tends to always be the Euros. Sex in the open on the beach etc, etc. I am about as left in things as you can get but i have my limits in a country we are guests in. Sorry if your stupid enough or arrogant enough to walk around 99% naked don,t expect to be treated with respect or have guys not staring at you. On top of that drunk and just be plain stupid. Had to recuse a half naked foreign bimbo just last week at the bus station in Bangkok that lost her passport the Thais tried to help her but had no idea what she was saying so i had to translate for her. Personally i am getting tired of recusing foreigners that cause their own problems. Maybe a mandatory common sense test should be given before boarding the plane. Problem is tourism would drop by 99%

21 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Thanks for the assumption that they'll be living in or holidaying in a slum area with bodyguards. I know you were just trying to slur my character but I'm beyond these insults that I've had for many a year on this site and pointless to retaliate. Get a life mate .... 

7 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Thanks for the assumption that they'll be living in or holidaying in a slum area with bodyguards. I know you were just trying to slur my character but I'm beyond these insults that I've had for many a year on this site and pointless to retaliate. Get a life mate .... 

Sorry if you feel I'm insulting you, if you reread, possibly you'll see that I wasn't. I was commenting on the your apparent need for bodyguards because your family is visiting which I said was unnecessary UNLESS your living in a real bad area. You took it erroneously but that's beyond my control..

Archived