Patong Police investigate taxi drivers beating up a tourist

webfact

14 hours ago, Benroon said:

He got a kicking because AFTER he agreed a 300 baht fee with the driver, en route he told the tuk tuk driver to stop at Burger King so he could place an order for his entire family, the tuk tuk driver reasonably said as he would have to wait a considerable time he would add 200 baht to the fee. OR he could just leave him at Burger King for the 300.

The TOURIST then told him to <deleted> off he wouldn't pay it at which point it kicked off

So you can all put your anti thai <deleted> back in the box - I would have done the same if someone tried to take the piss out of me ! 

You think 200 baht is 'reasonable' for having to wait probably no more than 10 mins?   

300 baht is more than the daily wage of some Thais and the driver of a Tuk-Tuk if he wasn't doing that job would almost certainly be on similar money as an unskilled worker.

Tuk-Tuks should all be banned, or if not at least forced to use a proper meter so that tourist and locals alike stop being fleeced by these scumbags.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surprises me is the fact BJ or the local police not in any photo with the taxi drivers....usually he/they do when taxi drivers (supposedly)  return a bag with (supposedly) cash in it.... what a country

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Every time I take a taxi to Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi, I ask the driver to pull up someplace where I can buy a beer. Never had a problem.

I have to agree; I've been coming to Thailand for over 50 years. I specifically take taxis because I like the a/c and I can have them stop for a beer on the way--several have gone in to buy the beers for me.  I also don't mind tipping for good service, but they do not know that until I pay for the ride at the destination. 

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The whole story that you read (but did not make clear) did not say that the woman and the child were attacked as you seem to be trying to suggest.  The two men were attacked, "the group" was not.

Ahem!

"A male middle eastern tourist was attacked by taxi drivers in front of his child and wife. It has been reported that they were injured in the attack."

I tried to get a taxi that same spot the other night, i live in Patong 5 minutes away from there. The usual fair anywhere in Patong is 200 Baht. But this chap said 300 baht when i pointed out and my Thai wife also pointed out 200 baht is the norm he still refused. We shrugged our shoulders walked off flagged another tuk tuk down further down the road who was happy for the 200 baht, the first one drove up on a bike threatened the tuk tuk driver who was a girl not to take us, i said nothing walked off he followed us and said ok ok 200 baht taxi can do. I am like no way am i getting in a taxi with you and your mates after the aggression you showed to us originally and also the lady tuk tuk driver. Is there any wonder tourism in Phuket is at an all time low. When the taxi drivers who charge more than anywhere in Thailand are aggressive towards the tourists. I lived a few places in Thailand including Pattaya Koh Chang and Bangkok. I have never had an issue with anyone especially taxi drivers. Patong i have had a few get aggressive when i dont like there prices. Its not a case i get angry at them, i just usually say same come on man i live here give me the rate, im not a tourist usually that works, they charge me the 200 baht. Another time from bangla to my place 3 minutes away, same old 300 baht, im come on mate i'm local i live here you know its 200. Ok ok 200 baht, my friend at the time who is in a wheel chair, went to get in the tuk tuk, his chair is easy broken down takes seconds and he can use his arms to pull himself in. The guys like no no 300 baht if he going i was shocked to say the least and went found another one.

Good and bad every where but i see a lot more drivers who are aggressive towards tourists in Phuket than anywhere else

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

You think 200 baht is 'reasonable' for having to wait probably no more than 10 mins?   

300 baht is more than the daily wage of some Thais and the driver of a Tuk-Tuk if he wasn't doing that job would almost certainly be on similar money as an unskilled worker.

Tuk-Tuks should all be banned, or if not at least forced to use a proper meter so that tourist and locals alike stop being fleeced by these scumbags.

Phuket taxi and tuk tuk drivers are a breed of their own not unlike mafia. So 300 baht is a pittance to them. They have high overheads for the covet license .read protection money. 

Some middle eastern people have questionable manners. Once they hire your vehicle, you are under bondage to their desires. They thought they own you. Just never occur to them that this is just a contract and both parties agreeable to it amiably. Nothing like a wallop or two to bring them to their senses. Same situation with the Indians from the subcontinent. 

45 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Ahem!

"A male middle eastern tourist was attacked by taxi drivers in front of his child and wife. It has been reported that they were injured in the attack."

Ahem, indeed.  Nowhere did it say that the woman and the child were attacked and the Phuket News' report a few posts later confirms that.  Ahem!

25 minutes ago, carlsimp said:

I tried to get a taxi that same spot the other night, i live in Patong 5 minutes away from there. The usual fair anywhere in Patong is 200 Baht. But this chap said 300 baht when i pointed out and my Thai wife also pointed out 200 baht is the norm he still refused. We shrugged our shoulders walked off flagged another tuk tuk down further down the road who was happy for the 200 baht, the first one drove up on a bike threatened the tuk tuk driver who was a girl not to take us, i said nothing walked off he followed us and said ok ok 200 baht taxi can do. I am like no way am i getting in a taxi with you and your mates after the aggression you showed to us originally and also the lady tuk tuk driver. Is there any wonder tourism in Phuket is at an all time low. When the taxi drivers who charge more than anywhere in Thailand are aggressive towards the tourists. I lived a few places in Thailand including Pattaya Koh Chang and Bangkok. I have never had an issue with anyone especially taxi drivers. Patong i have had a few get aggressive when i dont like there prices. Its not a case i get angry at them, i just usually say same come on man i live here give me the rate, im not a tourist usually that works, they charge me the 200 baht. Another time from bangla to my place 3 minutes away, same old 300 baht, im come on mate i'm local i live here you know its 200. Ok ok 200 baht, my friend at the time who is in a wheel chair, went to get in the tuk tuk, his chair is easy broken down takes seconds and he can use his arms to pull himself in. The guys like no no 300 baht if he going i was shocked to say the least and went found another one.

Good and bad every where but i see a lot more drivers who are aggressive towards tourists in Phuket than anywhere else

Those feral drivers are beyond redemption... giving other drivers a bad name. 

11 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Some middle eastern people have questionable manners. Once they hire your vehicle, you are under bondage to their desires. They thought they own you. Just never occur to them that this is just a contract and both parties agreeable to it amiably. Nothing like a wallop or two to bring them to their senses. Same situation with the Indians from the subcontinent. 

The poor Thai-so utterly schizoid in their perceptions and behaviour.

Sure they want more Chinese,Indians and Arabs in but-after all-they have "questionable manners" and so should be beaten up at every possible opportunity 

After all,the Westerners put up with it for decades didn't they?Even developing a bizarre case of Stockholm syndrome on the way.."I deserve to be beaten up..and you deserve to be beaten up..and he deserves to be beaten up"

20 hours ago, nasa123 said:

This movie and news are on all TV news here in Saudi right now.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

would you have beat the shit out of the whole family? or just the man?

i dont think you’d make a very profitable tuk tuk driver

4 hours ago, soistalker said:

Thais know that they can get away with this kind of beating without a penalty or with 500 baht and a wei.

Remember the guy kicked in the face on front of the police station in pattaya and in front of police? He didnt even get a fine. Thais get worse and worse every year. Just nasty now. I wish I had never bought a condo in Thailand.

you could of course sell it

41 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Please don't mix up Saudi and Kuwaiti nationals with UAE nationals. They are like chalk and cheese. 

Den

43 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Ahem, indeed.  Nowhere did it say that the woman and the child were attacked and the Phuket News' report a few posts later confirms that.  Ahem!

Heaven forbid anyone here thinks that these 5 or 6 men, who could have kicked a man or men to death over a taxi fare, would ever lay a finger on a woman or child. 

Let’s focus on giving these men the benefit of the doubt, and not focus on their barbaric attack that could have resulted in the senseless murder of a man in front of his wife and child. 

#socialjustice

14 minutes ago, p414 said:

200 baht for a 5 minute drive in a tuk tuk...Normal?

Anywhere in Patong the price is 200 baht or should be which is expensive when you compare it to other places but a lot try and nail 3 or 400 even for a 2 minute journey

Animals...its about time that embassy staff filed forml complaints when tourists are assaulted. After all embassy staff are supposedly placed overseas at least partially in order to protect the rights of its citizens.

Regardless of what the bloke did, group assaults shouldnt be tolerated by the Thai or home country authorities.

Much is being made these days of the taxi "Mafia" and it would appear that it applies to most tourist destinations in Thailand.

It seems in many places they are a law unto themselves, and one can not help but wonder if these "thugs" are indeed exempt from the law because they are "paying their pizzo" to the right people, and can therefore take the law into their own hands whenever they feel like it?

1 hour ago, denby45 said:

Please don't mix up Saudi and Kuwaiti nationals with UAE nationals. They are like chalk and cheese. 

Den

Really?  Good to know.  Which one is polite and witch one I should avoid?  WHY plesae?

24 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

the Thais dont care about minor details like that, thats just collateral damage to them.

Like the toddler that got  coshed yesterday by a so called "tourist cop"! 

50 minutes ago, Benroon said:

The family weren’t touched but if they had joined in sure 

Sorry, just for the record, are you saying you’d have “beat the s***” out of a woman and child (the family) if that woman and child had joined in? 

Archived