Patong Police investigate taxi drivers beating up a tourist

webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Benroon said:

In my 'career' in Thailand either visiting or living I have seen around 5 or 6 scraps on the streets of Bangkok, some nasty, some handbags, with one exception (a mouthy Russian who was put in hospital for a long time after breaking the elbow of a bar girl a quarter of his size  when all she asked for was the bill to be paid), ALL of the beatings were dished out to tourists from Asia who arrive here thinking they are the bees knees with a pocket full of cash (usually a few thousand rupees) and think the Thai people are a race beneath them and its sport to take the piss in front of their mates. Guess what they ALL got what was coming to them. She's only a bar girl/massage girl what can she do they're thinking, why should I pay full price, its funny right - only all these girls have got a phone full of people only too happy to step in ! I've stopped more than one tourist hurtling down the path to a beating because he thinks he's untouchable here because he's from the west, by having a quiet word in his ear.

I don't care if you're a nuclear physicist or a bar girl, anyone just doing their job to make a living deserves respect

You see it all the time and I've frequently wondered why the Thais have so much patience with them, I wouldn't put up with the idiots for a second especially if my living depended on it.

There are people who stand up for themselves and there are doormats - it appears (I wasn't there was anyone here ?)  the driver was clearly the former, too many on here are the latter!

A poster who enjoys beatings.Especially administered to foreigners and loves talking about them.

Posts on every incident.So does a few of his mates.

16 minutes ago, Benroon said:

In my 'career' in Thailand either visiting or living I have seen around 5 or 6 scraps on the streets of Bangkok, some nasty, some handbags, with one exception (a mouthy Russian who was put in hospital for a long time after breaking the elbow of a bar girl a quarter of his size  when all she asked for was the bill to be paid), ALL of the beatings were dished out to tourists from Asia who arrive here thinking they are the bees knees with a pocket full of cash (usually a few thousand rupees) and think the Thai people are a race beneath them and its sport to take the piss in front of their mates. Guess what they ALL got what was coming to them. She's only a bar girl/massage girl what can she do they're thinking, why should I pay full price, its funny right - only all these girls have got a phone full of people only too happy to step in ! I've stopped more than one tourist hurtling down the path to a beating because he thinks he's untouchable here because he's from the west, by having a quiet word in his ear.

I don't care if you're a nuclear physicist or a bar girl, anyone just doing their job to make a living deserves respect

You see it all the time and I've frequently wondered why the Thais have so much patience with them, I wouldn't put up with the idiots for a second especially if my living depended on it.

There are people who stand up for themselves and there are doormats - it appears (I wasn't there was anyone here ?)  the driver was clearly the former, too many on here are the latter!

Easy there, Tony Soprano. 

Nevermind the Chinese will continue to bring their millions.

Maybe just maybe! the Chinese with their group tours, all inclusive, money change group's and not giving a bhat to taxi drivers, motorbike taxi, street vendors, bars and bar girls is good for the Thai economic development and growth?

Or am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Nevermind the Chinese will continue to bring their millions.

Maybe just maybe! the Chinese with their group tours, all inclusive, money change group's and not giving a bhat to taxi drivers, motorbike taxi, street vendors, bars and bar girls is good for the Thai economic development and growth?

Or am I missing something?

try to beat a chinese tourist- they will all gang up on you and boycott your tourism.

On 3/30/2019 at 5:13 PM, Odysseus123 said:

A poster who enjoys beatings.Especially administered to foreigners and loves talking about them.

Posts on every incident.So does a few of his mates.

Odysseus would you agree that a better response would be to let authorities handle such violators. talking the in individual hands is in itself a crime. two crimes cannot be right a wrong.

5 hours ago, carlsimp said:

Is there any wonder tourism in Phuket is at an all time low.

I went to Phuket for the first time a few months ago, and concluded I don't want to ever go back there again - taxi (drivers) being the main reason why. Dealing with them was a huge hassle. Until/unless they implement meters and stop operating like a mafia I don't think I'll go back there.

2 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Take a Grab Taxi. They dont let drive this Subhuman pack.

Grab is not much of an option in Phuket. Every time I tried to get one there was crap availability and "peak pricing" i.e. it was significantly more expensive than even the already overpriced taxis. 600 baht for a 1 km ride etc.

48 minutes ago, sahibji said:

Sahibji..I am a bit confused...because of the layout of the above post..

My opinion is that the authorities-just like sundry posters here-spent most of their time in deflection,obfuscation and denial.

The fines handed out for attacks on foreigners here are often ludicrously small.The Thai know this-just as as they know that their homicidal driving and pyromaniacal tendencies will only go marginally punished (best case scenario)-and behave accordingly.

Having spent plenty of time in the Middle East it is not difficult to imagine the tourist instigated the beat down but this is still way out of line. Not sure what kind of penalty will be handed down but this type of behavior needs some serious consequence or it will continue. It helps weak, frail, little men feel like masculine beast.

21 hours ago, Benroon said:

He got a kicking because AFTER he agreed a 300 baht fee with the driver, en route he told the tuk tuk driver to stop at Burger King so he could place an order for his entire family, the tuk tuk driver reasonably said as he would have to wait a considerable time he would add 200 baht to the fee. OR he could just leave him at Burger King for the 300.

The TOURIST then told him to <deleted> off he wouldn't pay it at which point it kicked off

So you can all put your anti thai <deleted> back in the box - I would have done the same if someone tried to take the piss out of me ! 

Charging 200 Baht to wait 5 minuets is taking the piss.

Charging 300 Baht for only part of the agreed distance is taking the piss.

Beating people up over a couple of bad words is totally wrong. As you have shown, unfortunately snowflakes with their feeble egos and inflated self importance are everywhere. 

Tourist police are there to sort out this sort of dispute not fists and feet. Violence is only justified when faced with violence.

9 minutes ago, chama said:

Having spent plenty of time in the Middle East it is not difficult to imagine the tourist instigated the beat down but this is still way out of line. Not sure what kind of penalty will be handed down but this type of behavior needs some serious consequence or it will continue. It helps weak, frail, little men feel like masculine beast.

"It is not difficult to imagine the tourist instigated the beat down"Really?

There will be know serious consequence.There never is-a fact that you know very well

2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I went to Phuket for the first time a few months ago, and concluded I don't want to ever go back there again - taxi (drivers) being the main reason why. Dealing with them was a huge hassle. Until/unless they implement meters and stop operating like a mafia I don't think I'll go back there.

Tell us why it was a hassle to deal with them, can’t you negotiate a price then pay it.Can not understand why it’s a hassle, it’s all part of the deal, your a local, use your knowledge!

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Charging 200 Baht to wait 5 minuets is taking the piss.

Charging 300 Baht for only part of the agreed distance is taking the piss.

Beating people up over a couple of bad words is totally wrong. As you have shown, unfortunately snowflakes with their feeble egos and inflated self importance are everywhere. 

Tourist police are there to sort out this sort of dispute not fists and feet. Violence is only justified when faced with violence.

Do London cabs wait for free while you and your family order your fish n chips ? Doubt it!

5 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Tell us why it was a hassle to deal with them, can’t you negotiate a price then pay it.Can not understand why it’s a hassle, it’s all part of the deal, your a local, use your knowledge!

I take it you haven't been there. In many areas, they are the only available transport. (They use violence and political power to ensure a monopoly.) The monopoly creates unrealistically high prices. In addition, as I have witnessed and numerous others have testified, they become very aggressive very quickly. Suggesting a lower price is enough to set them off. It is a hassle (your question) to be trapped in a situation where you have no transport or overpriced transport with an aggressive and possibly violent driver. That is a hassle in my book.

11 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I take it you haven't been there. In many areas, they are the only available transport. (They use violence and political power to ensure a monopoly.) The monopoly creates unrealistically high prices. In addition, as I have witnessed and numerous others have testified, they become very aggressive very quickly. Suggesting a lower price is enough to set them off. It is a hassle (your question) to be trapped in a situation where you have no transport or overpriced transport with an aggressive and possibly violent driver. That is a hassle in my book.

Lived here for many years and have to say never have experienced any aggression as you say. The set prices are well known and on all their boards on display. You can either pay that price or bargain it down and if you have half a brain and a smile it will work for you. If your wacked and full of shit no doubt it won’t.Hows the transport availability in your area?

51 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Lived here for many years and have to say never have experienced any aggression as you say. The set prices are well known and on all their boards on display. You can either pay that price or bargain it down and if you have half a brain and a smile it will work for you. If your wacked and full of shit no doubt it won’t.Hows the transport availability in your area?

You're charming.

Sri Racha has a range of public transport options as it is on the main Rayong - Bangkok route and as an industrial area and closer to Bangkok, a thuggish overpriced taxi mafia monopoly would be counterproductive to the local economy. Thanks for asking.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You're charming.

Sri Racha has a range of public transport options as it is on the main Rayong - Bangkok route and as an industrial area and closer to Bangkok, a thuggish overpriced taxi mafia monopoly would be counterproductive to the local economy. Thanks for asking.

Sounds vibrant! Not a lot of difficult to deal with tourist either I guess although the ever reliable and safe minivans and baht buses cope really well. How many do they jam in these days on that relaxing drive to Sattahip?Sorry off topic.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:23 PM, Just Weird said:

The whole story that you read (but did not make clear) did not say that the woman and the child were attacked as you seem to be trying to suggest.  The two men were attacked, "the group" was not.

A quote from thaiger ; "A male middle eastern tourist was attacked by taxi drivers in front of his child and wife. It has been reported that they were injured in the attack. "

A male .. tourist .. in front of his child and wife.

It has been reported that they were injured in the attack.

But phuketnews : beating two men in the middle of Pracha Nukroh Rd.

two men

Which one is it..  the story on both resources sounds as different ones but the picture and location (malin place) tells that it is the same situation.

Regardless of what led to the gang attack on a man on holiday with his wife and child, a misunderstanding or clash of cultures or even a disagreement over a business transaction doesn’t warrant this attack on a man whilst he is buying a burger with his familly

those idiots doing the kicking should be jailed for 2 years and made to apologise to the familly

next!

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Do London cabs wait for free while you and your family order your fish n chips ? Doubt it!

No, it would just add to the fare on the meter, which even then probably would be cheaper than Patong. 

Do taxi drivers gang up to beat any passengers who dare to question the fare where you live?

I never said it should have been free. 200 Baht is ridiculous for 5 minuets, bearing in mind the daily minimum wage is about 325 Baht. 

I know many on here have plenty of money and cherish looking down on us plebs who dare to question excessive charging, but if we all just rolled over and paid whatever price was offered even they would start to squeal.

Unfortunately in places like Patong the police will normally ignore overcharging so it is a big problem which only gets looked at when cases like this become international news and then soon it's back to normal.

The sooner Big Joke gets these vermin under control the better.

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Why not try to look at the situation from the point of view of a tourist who has never been to Thailand before and is used to taxi drivers being polite and always using meters. Just because you know the system and how much to haggle doesn't mean everyone does.

I have used taxis in Bangkok many times with very few problems (I never take one that doesn't want to use the meter though). There is no reason why they should not have the same service in Patong. 

You may not be bothered by being ripped off every time you get a cab but most people despise it.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:49 PM, Olmate said:

The problem is that many tourists dont know the ' rules ' , oddly enough TAT dont do warnings , the land of smiles is perfect according to them.

Its not a case of taking or leaving published rates , its the general appalling attitude of the transportation ' mafia ' on Phuket.

20 years ago ( pre internet days ) I got into an alternation with a tuk tuk guy who dropped me in karon and demanded an extra 200 baht because it was raining ! 

Being too nieve not to know the ' rules ' I responded in the same friendly manner he had adopted , ie  told him to go <deleted> himself.

He took a swing , regretted it and ended up face down in a puddle , the hotel security guard then kicked him in the arse and told him to bugger off.

Would I get involved now , no because I know better , its a shame the thugs have won though.

My guess is something was taken the wrong way and in typical Thai fashion, the taxi drivers short fuse blew.

What amazes me is how Thailand can continue to have so much bad press year after year but they don't seem to do anything about it.

8 hours ago, Olmate said:

You should try getting out once in a while.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:04 AM, steven100 said:

The usual taxi driver mentality ....  all onto one ....

I cant open the video......pls tell me where to find it because I love videos that show the very unique ness of a holiday in the land of warm hugs and smile...

6 hours ago, chang1 said:

Why not try to look at the situation from the point of view of a tourist who has never been to Thailand before and is used to taxi drivers being polite and always using meters. Just because you know the system and how much to haggle doesn't mean everyone does.

I have used taxis in Bangkok many times with very few problems (I never take one that doesn't want to use the meter though). There is no reason why they should not have the same service in Patong. 

You may not be bothered by being ripped off every time you get a cab but most people despise it.

When I am being a tourist ,even back home,I pay the price agreed. Not that hard to manage really.

Archived