I have lived in the same house in Pattaya for about 12 years and every year I have an agent draw up a balance sheet and submit it to the authorities and until now have never had any problems.

This week I called at the same agent’s office to sign the new balance sheet and to settle the bill in full. Once I had paid I was then advised that this year I was required, by the government, to arrange a meeting with 2 of the Thai nominees. I explained that I had never met any of the nominees and had no idea of how to contact any of them as this was all arranged by the lawyer at the time I purchased the property.

I was then then advised that I would need to produce 2 new Thai nominees to take the place of 2 of the original nominees and that the official documents would need to be updated with the names of the new nominees. I explained that I hardly know any Thai people and that this would be difficult for me. I was further advised that the agent could carry out the work of updating and submitting the relevant documents (presumably for a further fee). I was also advised that unless I complied with the above that I would probably be fined by the authorities. I would say at this point that I was never shown any paperwork regarding the above matter, official or otherwise.

Has anyone come across a similar situation to the above or is this a scam of some kind?

On the surface sounds like another farang shakedown...it has been awhile but best I remember the 2 Thais you must find get paid for their non-participation in the transaction...I'm guessing, you ask him to find your two Thais...he already has the two in mind...

Thais are expert at finding creative ways to increase their income...

Resourceful...comes to mind...????

As I understand it, the arrangement you have, that is nominees, is not legal.  My Thai wife, daughter and I set up a company to buy our property.  They are not Thai nominees of course, but bona fidi Directors of the company, and hold the majority of the shares. We were audited last year by the Department for Commercial Development  in order to prove that the Directors, that is we three, are true Directors, known to each other, that met as a Board at least once per year and were not nominees. I'm not sure how you get out of this, but it sounds to me like you need new legal advice as maybe you didn't get it from the first firm.  

The scam was in your method of purchasing the property.  There have been countless warnings posted on this and many other forums over the last 15 years about the questionable legality of using straw nominees to purchase residential property.   The Thai Government has been cracking down on this for the last 6 or 7 years, especially in Phuket and Koh samui.  Looks like they are finally getting around to Pattaya.

1 hour ago, soloseaview said:

I explained that I hardly know any Thai people and that this would be difficult for me.

You are in Pattaya, find two of the most used up whore looking bar girls you can find and make them the nominees. When someone from the government asks a question have them scream out "Ka! Ka!" 

looks like your agent knows you are in trouble and this will lead to more shakedowns. best to play along until they make you sell your house.

8 hours ago, soloseaview said:

is this a scam of some kind?

I find it best to always assume that everything connected to money is a scam here. That way I only get good surprises.

If I were you I would approach several other agents/accountants and see what they say.

Find a new lawyer, I was in a similar position where I had never met the shareholders, luckily I had pre signed share certificates, last year my lawyer informed me that shareholders ID cards were required and I could reduce to three shareholders only, this was easy, I made my partner one and a close family friend the other, again I have pre signed share certificates, all went through no problem with the Business Development Department. Just completed last years accounts and again no problem. 

Archived