Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 April 2019 18:09
TSF

Buying a smartphone at MBK

Recommended Posts

Last week in MBK I noticed a couple small counter type stores that seemed to be wholesale mobile phones. There were paper signs hanging up with the model numbers & prices, and behind the counter phones in boxes on shelves. Prices were cheaper than the regular phone stores around there. Seems you cant see phones or test them but just know what you want and buy it at a cheaper price. And there were signs saying manufacturer's warranty only.

 

Anyway, how good are these shops? My Thai wife was with me and said it would be risky buying from such shops as I could get copies and not the real item. But seems to me they have pretty well zero overheads and can offer lowest prices.

 

Are they risky at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At MBK are a few very good shops, which are even cheaper than most lazada. Shopee I can't compare as I not like this site.

 

But yes, at MBK are also fakes available. But mostly easy so see when you play arround with the phone.

I bought last year my Huawei P20 Pro from a small Huawei shop which was almost 1'500 Baht cheaper than all the other shops. And I still very happy with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buyer beware, if it seems a great deal you need to be asking why !  If it sounds too good etc 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go to one of the bigger shops there NASA or TreeMobile it should be OK. I bought a new OnePlus 6 there last year, saved a fair amount. You can quickly test the phone as you buy it. I think they are cheaper than Lazada but upto you whether the hassle of going to Bangkok is worth 1-2000 baht saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Henryford said:

If you go to one of the bigger shops there NASA or TreeMobile it should be OK. I bought a new OnePlus 6 there last year, saved a fair amount. You can quickly test the phone as you buy it. I think they are cheaper than Lazada but upto you whether the hassle of going to Bangkok is worth 1-2000 baht saved.

Thanks for the tip mate. I'm actually going to BKK this weekend as I have a flight out of Swampy Monday night, so I want buy a new phone Sat or Sun to take back with me. I'll certainly check out NASA & TreeMobile....they are phone stores inside MBK, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will notice that a high % of phones sold on Amazon or Ebay are fakes.  Not total fakes, but if most of the cost is in a few key chips, there-in lies the knock-off opportunity.  Try to go with a reputable chain shop, and avoid bargain basements.  Sometimes if it sounds too good to be true.........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy from Lazada Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2ZB631KL 8699 Bath 6GB RAM , 64GB ROM, Prosessor 4x 2,2 and accu 5000 mA

It really fast and good phone

Best Regards Eero from Chaiyaphum

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you want look details from mopile phone go website gsmarena.com

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, TSF said:

Are they risky at all? 

yes. just buy a Samsung phone in a Samsung shop. wait for a promotion around the time new phones models are announced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TSF said:

Thanks for the tip mate. I'm actually going to BKK this weekend as I have a flight out of Swampy Monday night, so I want buy a new phone Sat or Sun to take back with me. I'll certainly check out NASA & TreeMobile....they are phone stores inside MBK, right?

Yes inside MBK, i forget exactly what floor, the main phone shop floor, 3rd?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, CharlieH said:

Buyer beware, if it seems a great deal you need to be asking why !  If it sounds too good etc 

I think MBK is fine for buying second hand smartphones, tablets, I bought a second hand Ipad for 5000 Baht that lasted me for years, and traded it in for something else, but bought a new Huawei smartphone about two years ago that just refuses to download from YouTube although every single smartphone or tablet I have had downloads music and movies from Youtube no problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Yes inside MBK, i forget exactly what floor, the main phone shop floor, 3rd?

Yes, I've been looking online, 4th floor, thanks for the prices you sent, I'll be looking through those stores this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eero said:

When you want look details from mopile phone go website gsmarena.com

Yes good site, I've been looking a lot at it these past couple weeks comparing various models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...