Indian Curry in Ubon

DreamRider

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Best to make your own mate, I do, although I'm in the UK with access to a good supply of spices.

Make my own?? Nope; I’ll poison myself or wake up with the screaming ab-dabs. Either I find a restaurant or pre-prepared or I have to wait for MARTIN to get back from Dubai

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Every spice that is needed to make a good Indian curry is available in Makro.

If you mean Ubon Makro, they do not sell cardamoms, garam masala, asafoetida, fenugreek or ghee.

Haven't found an Indian restaurant in Ubon, but it's not surprising, Thais seem to really turn their nose up at Indian food for some reason.

36 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

If you mean Ubon Makro, they do not sell cardamoms, garam masala, asafoetida, fenugreek or ghee.

Haven't found an Indian restaurant in Ubon, but it's not surprising, Thais seem to really turn their nose up at Indian food for some reason.

Makro in Buriram.

Cardamoms available.

Butter available so ghee is possible.

Garam masala, there are many different mixes but generally a mix of; corrianda seed, cumin, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. All available in Makro Buriram.

Seen fenugreek in there too.

Asafoetida not really needed as onions and garlic give very similar flavour.

For fresh quality spices I visit Little India Bangkok about twice a year and store in a dry box. My local Makro has poor turn over of spices and are often stale. Stopped using clarified butter years ago.

Below is my dried spice stock for Indian cooking (mostly UK base method). 

Cumin
Paprika
Turmeric
Coriander
Cloves
Mace
Cardamom
Methi Leaf
Star Anise
Fennel
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Mace
Kashmiri mirch
Curry Powder (order from UK lasts about a year)

Agree with those above, I can make plenty of good curries using the basic ingredients from Makro Maesai. I mainly use the bags of paste readily available . How near to an Indian Madras curry from  'The golden egg ' I don't know but quite good enough , Tonight I am going to make a Prawn Massala using massala curry powder I found.

My TW likes spicy food but not Indian for some reason.

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

For fresh quality spices I visit Little India Bangkok about twice a year and store in a dry box. My local Makro has poor turn over of spices and are often stale. Stopped using clarified butter years ago.

Below is my dried spice stock for Indian cooking (mostly UK base method). 

Cumin
Paprika
Turmeric
Coriander
Cloves
Mace
Cardamom
Methi Leaf
Star Anise
Fennel
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Mace
Kashmiri mirch
Curry Powder (order from UK lasts about a year)

Good list of spices. So good in fact that I have to question the need for curry powder.

26 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Good list of spices. So good in fact that I have to question the need for curry powder.

The curry powder is part of a mix that is used in the early stages of some base sauce cooking methods. I can substitute the powder for my own mix but not able to completely replicate the unique flavour layer it creates. The powder I use is Rajah brand madras powder from the UK in 1kg bags.

I have spent many years trying to perfect the British Indian restaurant dishes which are unique and mostly follow the high heat spice and base gravy sequence. I also cook using more traditional longer cooking time methods.

3 minutes ago, Amusements said:

Nearest Indian curry we found was in neighboring Laos! Pakse to be exact, though the restaurant was also full of kids toys everywhere, and the owner did nothing but moan about everything to my Indian friend. 

Agreed.

Pakse was the place to go for Indian food-restaurant style.

Ubon was astonishingly boring as far as food was concerned.

Isn't Ubon potentially served by any of the Western/UK food pre-prepared, frozen entree vendors that exist here and there. Usually they're willing to send almost anywhere for a sufficient order. And most of the UK type sellers seem to have Indian curries among their menu choices.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Isn't Ubon potentially served by any of the Western/UK food pre-prepared, frozen entree vendors that exist here and there. Usually they're willing to send almost anywhere for a sufficient order. And most of the UK type sellers seem to have Indian curries among their menu choices.

Only one springs to mind, BKK based, but the Jalfrezi lacked any oomph or taste. Out of fairness, name withheld. 

Thanks for the above replies, I’ll take it as a “none” then. Shame as I used to have a good stock of Lance’s in my freezer, perfect for a Saturday night accompanying the EPL washed down with a bottle of red wine. 

This...

http://burirampieman.com/buriramfoodproducts.html

or....

https://westernfoodsthailand.weebly.com/ready-meals.html

or

http://nookiesdelights.3baht.net/products.htm

or this for the home cookers:

http://www.bigfoodbazar.com/index.php/

Just asking... Never inquired of those above about delivering to Ubon...

Dreamrider: If you go and talk to John at Spago's (new one at Yuu Hotel), he is regularly placing orders for a wide range of reheat-yourself curries at prices that seem quite reasonable to me. Can't remember with certainty where he is sourcing them from - Korat I think.

He posts quite regularly about it on the 'Ubon Expats' facebook page together with a priced menu. Have not tried it myself yet but probably will - I tend to leave stuff that I can't get easily or economically until I make a visit to (typically) the UK, Bangkok or Pattaya/Jomtien.

On the other hand, now that Lance and Tom are back living in Ubon - to my surprise I bumped into Lance when setting a hash earlier in March, he popped his head over the garden wall of his new abode - the issue may be resolving itself for you!

For all the Indian curry fans out there I have been appointed the distributor for British Curries to go  from Pattaya. I order almost weekly so if you would like to be apart of it please let me know. 

<contact by personal message>

I am located in Ubon City. 

Screenshot_20190305-125555_Word.jpg

1547094306056.jpg

Archived