Austrian cancer-sufferer, 71, dies after 14-storey fall from Patong hotel roof

snoop1130

Austrian cancer-sufferer, 71, dies after 14-storey fall from Patong hotel roof

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1553860174_1-org.jpg

The man lived on Nanai Rd, but took a motorbike taxi to the hotel and went up onto roof, police explained. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- Police are investigating the death of a 71-year-old Austrian man known to have been suffering late-stage prostrate cancer who is believed to have jumped from the roof of a 14-story hotel in Patong earlier today (Mar 29).

Police were called to the Patong Heritage Hotel on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Rd at 11am, confirmed Lt Kwansirinat Thairat.

The body of the man*, originally from Vienna but for years a long-term Phuket expat, was found on the roof of the kitchen area on the ground floor.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/austrian-cancer-sufferer-71-dies-after-14-storey-fall-from-patong-hotel-roof-70903.php#8dWkqIC6ROOottSg.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-29

Why don't these desperate people go to a vet, buy Nembutal, and leave this world in sleep, instead of leaving an ugly Carpaccio in front of a building, and put others at risk to be injured? I have no understanding for people who needs a drumroll when they go.

If adequate pain relief, access to morphine and other strong pain medicine to be used for end-of-life care, and end-of-life palliative care was available - then perhaps this man would not have found it necessary to take his own life, and instead could have lived out the rest of his life in 'relative' comfort.  As a Buddhist, I accept that Death is the end of the road and one should prepare for it - but suffering in agony is NOT a necessity - it's a government mandated choice by utterly compassionateless bureaucrats and politician who choose to make pain killers, such as morphine, as difficult as possible to obtain as a disease such as prostate cancer is ravaging a man's body.  There is no need for this.  Morphine and opiates should be easily available to obtain and use in a home-base or private hospice-based setting.  Instead, the monsters simply seem to have no compassion for the suffering of fellow humans - well, if those withholding the medicine can be considered human.  
So eventually, through extreme pain and despair - a cancer suffer makes a choice to end their life.  No doubt those who make needed palliative medicines next to impossible to obtain in the amounts needed to keep a cancer sufferer comfortable will simply shrug and not care.  What they need is first hand experience at what this poor individual just experienced. 

Reading the article I get the impression there is more to this story than just cancer which can be treated in LOS.

He's leaving his possessions to another farang?

Most of these farangs die alone . Thai wife or gf long gone.

They're not alone when they're in their fifties and super cashed up in Phuket or Pattaya.

I might be wrong but I doubt it.

23 minutes ago, connda said:

Since when do you think a vet will sell anyone Nembutal?  You're dreaming.

All a matter of price I should imagine. Hospice is gradually starting in Thailand, I think (don't KNOW) that this would be cheaper than trying for a cure in a hospital, maybe a Thai health insurance would rather pay for this than for numerous useless operations. Couldn't he have flown home ? even if he had no medical insurance in Austria they wouldn't have let him die in agony.

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

Reading the article I get the impression there is more to this story than just cancer which can be treated in LOS.

He's leaving his possessions to another farang?

Most of these farangs die alone . Thai wife or gf long gone.

They're not alone when they're in their fifties and super cashed up in Phuket or Pattaya.

I might be wrong but I doubt it.

I feel sorry for you

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Why don't these desperate people go to a vet, buy Nembutal, and leave this world in sleep, instead of leaving an ugly Carpaccio in front of a building, and put others at risk to be injured? I have no understanding for people who needs a drumroll when they go.

Have a heart. I didn't think vets here would even consider putting pets to sleep let alone homo sapiens.

The poor guy must have been desperate. Not surprising since the routine treatment for late stage cancer here seems to be to send you home with a bottle of pain killers. 

Huge numbers of people use the same method as this guy to end it all. Yes, it's messy and inconsiderate, but desperate people do desperate things. I feel for the dead man and his family as well those who had to deal with the aftermath. 

Thanks for the tip about Nembutal. But is it really that easy to get hold of - and does it work? Otherwise, I gather, a small charcoal burner - used in a car or other, easily-sealed confined space such as a toilet - is becoming a popular way of making a cheap and painless premature exit.

1 minute ago, Krataiboy said:

Have a heart. The poor guy must have been desperate. Not surprising because in Thailand, unless you can afford private care, it appears the routine treatment for late stage cancer is to send you home to die with a bottle of pain killers. 

Huge numbers of people use the same method as this poor soul for of ending it all. It's messy and inconsiderate, but desperate people do desperate things, sometimes without regard to the consequences. I feel for the guy and his family as well those who had to deal with the aftermath. 

Thanks for the tip about Nembutal. But is it really that easy to get hold of and does it work? Otherwise, a small charcoal burner, used in a car or other, easily-sealable confined space, seems an increasingly popular choice in Thailand for a cheap, painless premature exit.

A 5 baht razorblade would do the trick.

Because getting Nembutal isn't as easy as it once was.  

That first link is from 2010.   Things have changed significantly since then. 

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Because getting Nembutal isn't as easy as it once was.  

Very true.

I also agree with the poster "Lucius Verus" that many  die alone.

I am assuming (big assumption on my part) that it is the irrevocable nature of the act that is appealing.

A big step and you are gone.

RIP Austrian man.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

People need a humane option to exit and it not being hard work to get, personal choice

1 plastic tesco bag

1 rubber band

put over your head

maybe tie your hand together in the back

or buy hand cuffs (military / paint ball shop)

2 minutes ago, justin case said:

1 plastic tesco bag

1 rubber band

put over your head

maybe tie your hand together in the back

or buy hand cuffs (military / paint ball shop)

Those Tesco bags are the worst. I wouldn't rely on them. Don't get me started on rubber bands.

Archived