Coronary Calcium Score.

tavernier

A thread that mentions it here: 

Seems to be widely available. In addition to the cost of the scan they will probably charge you a few hundred baht to see a doctor first. Waste of time but impossible to avoid!

I have atherosclerosis. I have a plan to reverse it but no idea if it is the ultimate plan, or even a good one; but here it is:

1. Nutrition
When I discovered I had the disease I was not overweight, but I was metabolically unhealthy and possibly pre-diabetic. I believe this to be a major contributor to the development of atherosclerosis.

With that in mind I changed to a low carb/high fat diet and put my body into ketosis. Opinions differ whether keto is really necessary; but there does seem to be agreement you need to cut the carbs and get your metabolism sorted out.

2. Time restricted eating
I eat within an eight hour window each day. Not sure how much this helps but it doesn't harm, and I enjoy it.

3. Sleep. Get plenty

4. Exercise. I do more than I did. Lift weights, swim and windsurf when the wind is good.

5. Stress. Avoid it.

6. Supplements. People have reported reducing their plaque by using a combination of K2 and D3. I take 300 units of K2 a day and 1000 units of D3. Plus Magnesium. But I only started this after a year; don't want to start removing plaque if there is unstable soft plaque underneath, have to stop the disease from being active first.

Has this worked (for me)?
In September 2017 I was feeling slightly faint, couldn't windsurf more than 20 minutes before collapsing exhausted on the beach, swimming similar. Heart stress test and subsequent scan revealed 50% blockage in one artery, 37% in another. The blockages were causing the fainting feeling. Doctor gave me beta blockers which solved the fainting feeling although I still could not exercise for very long. He also gave me statins which I did not take. My calcium score was 134.

14 months later I had another calcium scan which showed a 6% annual increase. This was on a different machine at a different hospital; but as my target was to limit the increase to less than 15% so I scored that as a win. Given that the disease will have taken a while to slow down, some increase was inevitable. I will test again in a couple of years and hope the K2/D3 will have contributed to a reduction.

Feeling much better, I stopped taking the beta blockers a couple months ago. No faint feelings. My heart, which previously had started to flutter above 138bpm, was happy straying above 140bpm with no ill effects. I can now windsurf for an hour without feeling exhausted, have not been able to do that for the last twenty years (I am 70). Can also swim for an hour easily.

Without another scan (with contrast), I don't know what has changed; but can only assume that some of the blockage (which may have been soft rather than calcified plaque) has been removed.

Based on the American guidelines for metabolic health, I am now metabolically in good condition. Their recommendation, my score in brackets
Waist: less than 40 inches (31)
Fasting glucose less than 100 (80-90)
Blood pressure 120/80 (120/80)
Triglycerides less than 150 (54)
HDL greater than 40 (94) 

Feel better than I have in years and hope I have limited the risks for future surgery or a cardiac event.

Whatever your plan turns out to be, I wish you well! Accepting there is something you can do other than taking a pill is half the battle.

Hi FracturedRabbit,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply to my post. I appreciate it took time.  My first calcium score was higher and my regime at present is, well, almost exactly the same as yours. I tried to go totally keto, but I felt unwell every day, and backed off to LCHF. I may increase K2 and D3 if safe.  Hoping my increase in Calcium is, like yours, less than 15%. After extensive tests a cardiologist's only advice to me was to take keep taking statins and reduce blood pressure! 

If you have a car and don't mind a bit iof a trip there is a promotion at Phtathai Sri Racha of only 1,900 baht...but only through tomorrow.  Contact

Gavin Waddell
International Marketing Manager
Phyathai Sriracha Hospital
Tel: 087-1000990
E [email protected]

Otherwise will cost significantly more and you'll have to see a cadiologist first

On 3/30/2019 at 12:17 AM, tavernier said:

Hi FracturedRabbit,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply to my post. I appreciate it took time.  My first calcium score was higher and my regime at present is, well, almost exactly the same as yours. I tried to go totally keto, but I felt unwell every day, and backed off to LCHF. I may increase K2 and D3 if safe.  Hoping my increase in Calcium is, like yours, less than 15%. After extensive tests a cardiologist's only advice to me was to take keep taking statins and reduce blood pressure! 

I felt terrible on keto for the first 3 weeks, before my body switched; but LCHF will do the job just as well I am sure.
My cardio gave me statins and said there was a 5% chance of them being effective; but wasn't clear about what effective meant. He never mentioned nutrition.
Ironically, we took our cat to the vet and it turned out she had high blood glucose. The vet only had one question "what does your cat eat?!"

If you haven't seen it, this is the study that concluded  "If progression of the CAC score is less than 15%/year, the prognosis of being free from a myocardial infarction is very good, independent of the original CAC score".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5035375/

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a review:
https://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/prevent-and-reverse-heart-disease-by-caldwell-b-esselstyn/

His “science” does indeed seem rather shaky. LDL level is not, in isolation, a predictor for heart disease. And if part of the solution is taking statins...

Perhaps most importantly, if you have atherosclerosis, you need vitamin K2 to remove calcified plaque from the arteries. K2 is not present in a vegan diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Here’s a review:
https://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/prevent-and-reverse-heart-disease-by-caldwell-b-esselstyn/

His “science” does indeed seem rather shaky. LDL level is not, in isolation, a predictor for heart disease. And if part of the solution is taking statins...

Perhaps most importantly, if you have atherosclerosis, you need vitamin K2 to remove calcified plaque from the arteries. K2 is not present in a vegan diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well he was success stories on his website...

http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/success-stories/

His heart disease reversal diet has been published in the scientific journal of cardiology, basically it’s scientifically proven .. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466936/

healthy vegans who eat green vegetables with added fat like nuts or oils will get enough vitamin K and K2 can be made by our gut bacteria unless the person has taken a lot of antibiotics 

https://veganhealth.org/vitamin-k/

Archived