Mayor Pete -- Is the USA ready for it's 2nd or 3rd gay president?

Jingthing

The Chinese have a queer eye for Mayor Pete.

He keeps surging. 

It's way early, but still, wow.

Why China’s LGBT community hopes Pete Buttigieg will become US president 

Pete Buttigieg, who launched his 2020 presidential campaign over the weekend, could become the first openly gay US president, and it seems even people in China are watching his campaign with a keen eye.

The 37-year-old mayor of South Bend, Indiana, announced his run for the White House at a rally on Sunday (14 April), setting out a liberal agenda and pledging to promote a “different story” to President Donald Trump’s divisive ‘Make America Great Again’ catchphrase.

The Democratic hopeful has seen support from across the US, but also among LGBT+ communities worldwide too, including China.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/04/15/pete-buttigieg-china-us-presidential-election/

Mayor Pete is now big enough to attract anti-gay hecklers that are literally following him around to his events. Watch how he deals with it. 

https://www.reuters.com/video/2019/04/17/buttigiegs-response-to-an-anti-gay-prote?videoId=539058617&feedType=VideoRSS&feedName=LatestVideosUK&videoChannel=117763

Mayor Pete's not at all secret weapon. His dogs!

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/pete-buttigieg-dogs/

Edited by Jingthing

Here's his response to the US ambassador to Germany's remarks:

US Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell last week accused the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and Democratic presidential hopeful of using the feud to further his presidential candidacy, saying it was "along the lines of Jussie Smollett."
When asked about Grennell's words during a CNN town hall Monday night, Buttigieg paused and parried.
"I'm not a master fisherman, but I know bait when I see it, and I'm not gonna take it," the mayor said to applause.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe in 2024 if he is still on the scene. Biden has this locked up now. Maybe he would make a good running mate but is being gay enough? I assume Biden has to pick a woman of color because that’s just how sad the dem party is. 

I agree he has some interesting things to say but no way he gets past Biden and Sanders. He comes off as a tad brighter than the other dems. 

An inexperienced boy mayor of a crappy city who could barely perform his job functions there and whose only claim to anything is the fact that he is some dudes wife. How trendy.

I dont vote for folks based on where they insert their ships of love. Speaking for many oldsters, I dont vote for whippersnappers who presume to tell me how the world should be modified to meet their particular moral/political standards.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

An inexperienced boy mayor of a crappy city who could barely perform his job functions there and whose only claim to anything is the fact that he is some dudes wife. How trendy.

I dont vote for folks based on where they insert their ships of love. Speaking for many oldsters, I dont vote for whippersnappers who presume to tell me how the world should be modified to meet their particular moral/political standards.

This is the gay forum, so I think you might want to watch what you say carefully.   His 'only claim to anything is the fact that he is some dudes wife" sounds pretty homophobic.    He is running for President, you might want to stick to reasonable posts about him and his behavior.  

You might want to check the posting guidelines for this forum.  

• Like 1

My experience is somewhat limited with the Black community, but there is a fair amount of religious overtones and a reasonably strong anti-gay sentiment.    Buttigeig comes across as a very white, very boy-next-door type of person.   He's going to have to make some real inroads with minorities.  

Just watched Mayor Pete in Fox News town hall. He is clearly the most charismatic, intelligent, and articulate candidate. With the cultural polarization gripping the country, I am one who worries about his electability, and believe that beating Trump has to be the number one priority. However, after watching his Fox News town hall performance, I believe that he can go toe-to-toe with Trump, and in debates on policy could wipe the floor with Trump. I think that as the country becomes more exposed to him his ratings in the polls will begin to rise very rapidly. I believe that the black community may warm to him when they begin to compare him to other candidates. 

I didn't see the Fox  Town Hall but I follow him on FB and Twitter.   There is no doubt that he could go toe-to-toe with pretty much anybody in a debate, but a gazelle is elegant, but still gets eaten by a lion.  

As far as the black community warming to him, they may, but his problem will be that the black community tends to be politically apathetic unless they are energized, and it's tricky getting them energized without turning off other groups.  

Regardless, he is one to watch.   Very impressive.  

Well, here's some predictable hateful weirdness. Expect much more of same if Mayor Pete's campaign gets stronger.

Former Indiana Official Wants Buttigieg to Denounce Fisting, Rimming

A former Indiana lawmaker and homophobic preacher says Pete Buttigieg needs to prove he’s not a disease-ridden, promiscuous gay man.

Don Boys, a former member of the Indiana House of Representatives who has written books decrying Muslims, published a bizarre rant on his Common Sense for Today blog on May 15. In it, he slams the South Bend, Ind. mayor and Democratic presidential candidate for his sexuality.

https://www.advocate.com/politics/2019/5/22/former-indiana-official-wants-buttigieg-denounce-fisting-rimming

• Haha 1

The homophobic black contingent of the democratic party will make sure he is never elected. When the black community came out (sorry for the pun) to vote for Obama it made at least one pro gay referendum fail in California. It is quite ironic that the dems are the party that hosts this amount of homophobia with in it's ranks and throws stones at others.

• 1 month later...

OMG -- does this queen read Mayor Pete for which he has an insulting nickname. 

This is a must read just for fun.

https://newrepublic.com/article/154457/mayor-pete-problem

My Mayor Pete Problem

He's smart. He's nice. And he just might be the devil.

It doesn't bother me as I don't think he'll be nominated anyway and don't feel that just because he's gay that gay people should automatically support him.

I had to look up what Lucky Pierre was. 

My favorite part of the article was referring to the "problem" of Mayor Pete being a grown up gay teenager (find the section with Lucky Pierre). I know exactly what the writer means by that and I went through that in my 20's and yes I was very lucky (Pierre and otherwise) that it didn't kill me (I expected it to).

For more policy specific criticisms of Mayor Pete, check the link in the above article.

All About Pete

Only accept politicians who have proved they actually care about people other than themselves…

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/all-about-pete

Edited by Jingthing

It seems that it's been removed from the New Republic.  

Oh that's hilarious. It definitely was a very provocative piece. The writer didn't come off as likeable either but he was honest about it. I wonder about the story behind the story on that one.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Well there are still remnants of the hit piece out there. Interesting what is included in this account of the article deletion includes the part I was referring to with the Lucky Pierre stuff.

I don't know if I agree that the article was horribly written but it was certainly nasty.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/nasty-horribly-written-new-republic-op-ed-attacks-mayor-pete-as-the-gay-uncle-tom

Nasty, horribly written New Republicop-ed attacks Mayor Pete as the gay Uncle Tom

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

It's the internet ... once published it's always there. Try here (scroll down past the gap).

Oh, gee, now I get a 404 error!

Oops, tried again and got it!

Calling Mayor Pete a Gay Uncle Tom with the addition of that new nickname in the deleted article is indeed nasty. It's probably related to the earlier questions about whether he is "gay enough" in similar ways the question was asked if Obama was "black enough."

In any case, it seems objectively true that Mayor Pete presents as a heteronormative gay men and intentionally so. Whether that's a good or bad thing to be either as a private person or presidential candidate is more subjective.

https://kcbsradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/buttigeig-parallels-milk-and-heteronormative-debate

I remember when Joe Lieberman was running as VP with Al Gore many Jews including me felt that maybe he was actually "too Jewish" being so Orthodox and observant (needing to not work on the sabbath) and didn't really represent them as mainstream American Jews. There was a feeling that for the first Jew to be VP or president it would be better for the person to be more assimilated and secular, like someone like Al Franken before his unfortunate and unfair downfall. 

So with minorities, this kind of criticism can cut both ways!

Edited by Jingthing

I actually heard him speak before I knew he was gay.  I was impressed with his speaking ability and how diplomatic his approach was, how thoughtful his responses were.   I heard someone who processed questions and then responded, rather that simply reacting to a remark.  

Unlike a lot of politicians who make outlandish remarks that are aimed more at rallying their base, he had more of a calming affect.   I'm not sure that's good in a politician, but it is a welcome respite from the current political climate across the spectrum.  

• Like 2

Well predictably the plot thickens about the My Mayor Pete Problem article.

I agree with this writer that the article was not homophobic which is apparently the reason given for it being deleted.

As I initially described indeed Peck was reading Pete. Nasty and unseemly sure but undeniably a part of gay culture.

It's not all about antique shopping!

This article spells out the issues - -

https://jezebel.com/define-homophobic-1836367531/amp

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

It  seems a good time to bump this.

Well it appears Mayor Pete is beating my expectations.

Look at this Iowa poll!

SHOCK POLL: Pete Buttigieg Shoots Up 14 Points, Unseats Frontrunners to Take Lead in Iowa

Monmouth University just released new polling data that presents very good news for Pete Buttigieg.

Since polling over the summer, Buttigieg is up 14 points to 22 points, just three points ahead of former Vice President Joe Biden. Senator Elizabeth Warren comes in at 18% with Senator Bernie Sanders the only other candidate in double digits at 13%.

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/shock-poll-pete-buttigieg-shoots-up-14-points-unseats-frontrunners-to-take-lead-in-iowa/

He's positioned himself in the "less progressive" alternative to Biden lane quite well. However he still suffers from the perception that his appeal to African Americans is weak (critical for both the primaries and general election) and also the reality that a certain percentage of people will never vote for a gay man no matter what.

Also he's proven to be a remarkably effective fundraiser (while Biden on the other hand has not). 

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/30/2019 at 7:32 AM, Jingthing said:

No, he isn't a seasoned foreign policy expert. 

You mean, not the same like Trump???? :cheesy:    And somehow Trump managed to get elected, probably by a lot of the same posters here who would claim Buttigieg doesn't have proper qualifications.

So these days, being a lying, adulterous, self-obsessed, business failures, reality TV show, Russia loving loon is considered presidential timber.....   

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

52 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You mean, not the same like Trump???? :cheesy:    And somehow Trump managed to get elected, probably by a lot of the same posters here who would claim Buttigieg doesn't have proper qualifications.

So these days, being a lying, adulterous, self-obsessed, business failures, reality TV show, Russia loving loon is considered presidential timber.....   

Two points.

First of all, we're really focusing here on the democratic PRIMARY part of the contest here. In other words, the differences between the democratic hopefuls. But of course  ability to beat 45 is one of the issues, perhaps the biggest one.

Second of all you really should have included my entire post in your quote because it was so long ago and it really didn't make sense cut like that. So I will now:

No, he isn't a seasoned foreign policy expert. Or really seasoned much in anything. He's young. But Americans will be impressed by his willingness to volunteer for military service in Afghanistan even if they oppose the policy there.

His candidacy being discussed today on Real Time:

Edited by Jingthing

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And look where  that got as.

Personaly I have no problem with anyones sexulity, what they do in bed is none of my business. But i do have concern about his experience. IMO a VP spot or a cabinet position will bring him up to speed, for a future run.

If not nominated (which I think is a longshot) don't expect him  to go back to being mayor to backwater town. 

A seat in the Senate or House , perhaps a Governorship.

Edited by sirineou