Mayor Pete -- Is the USA ready for it's 2nd or 3rd gay president?

Jingthing

On 3/30/2019 at 12:26 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Defense of US borders...defense of the US as a country are important issues for most people with a modicum of commonsense.  I doubt this candidate can present himself as strong on these issues...or has any international experience to shape his worldview...

What experience did Trump, Obama or other presidents have in these niche areas?

There are civil servants who deal with all the nitty gritty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

What experience did Trump, Obama or other presidents have in these niche areas?

There are civil servants who deal with all the nitty gritty.

45 was a black swan. 

Obama had the conventional experience of a state legislature and then the U.S. senate.

But the fact that such an unconventional candidate won the presidency on his first run for ANY political office probably opens up channels for different kinds of unconventional backgrounds in the future. In the U.S. historical context I don't think there was ever a president elected from being a small city mayor.

Edited by Jingthing

Young Gen Z demographic dissing on Buttigeig. Who knew? I find this amusing. 

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/mayo-pete-memes-buttigieg-tiktok-teens

TEENS ON TIKTOK ARE ROASTING THE HELL OUT OF ‘MAYO PETE’

At 37, Pete Buttigieg is the youngest candidate in the 2020 presidential election, while Bernie Sanders, 78, is the oldest. But don’t assume that Mayor Pete is the favorite among Gen Z, the country’s youngest voting demographic. On popular teen app TikTok, Sanders is an unfiltered, authentic king — and centrist stooge Buttigieg is the biggest Boomer of them all.

They don't like him. They really really don't like him.

Nobody wants to be MAYO. 

So there we have it. Not gay enough. Not millennial enough. Not cool enough. Not experienced enough. Too bland. Too white. Too moderate. 

But somehow leading in Iowa and New Hampshire. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/21/pete-buttigieg-millennials-bane/

Pete Buttigieg, millennials’ bane

Pete Buttigieg wants to lead for a younger generation — much to that generation’s chagrin.

The fresh-faced first major millennial candidate and his deep-pocketed campaign have recently gotten a big bump in the polls. But there’s one hang-up: Mayor Pete has an easier time charming people twice his 37 years of age than half of it. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'll take Pete over warren or Bernie that's for certain. He's a smart guy, or he sounds smart. In all seriousness, what would his husband's title be in the White House?

The conventional wisdom is that he will be the First Gentleman, but that's a bit of a mouthful.   The position of first lady does not relate to the relationship to the president, but to the person who acts as a host(ess) for the White House and events. 

When Hillary served as a senator, Chelsea became the First Lady, as she acted as the hostess for official WH Events.

First Gentleman is the most likely title, but in some countries First Man is used and a gender-neutral title may be used.  

The question is not "Mayor Pete -- Is the USA ready for it's 2nd or 3rd gay president? " but rather 

Is America ready for it's first openly gay president?

Two politically,  different questions. Personally I don't know,  I certainly hope so.

Another question is. With the prospect of another four years of president trump, are we willing to find out?

32 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The question is not "Mayor Pete -- Is the USA ready for it's 2nd or 3rd gay president? " but rather 

Is America ready for it's first openly gay president?

Two politically,  different questions. Personally I don't know,  I certainly hope so.

Another question is. With the prospect of another four years of president trump, are we willing to find out?

Well, personally I don't expect him to be nominated. Even if he wins in both Iowa and New Hampshire they aren't exactly typical states.

BTW, this argues that the nation knew about Buchanan  --

https://www.salon.com/2012/05/14/our_real_first_gay_president/

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, personally I don't expect him to be nominated. Even if he wins in both Iowa and New Hampshire they aren't exactly typical states.

BTW, this argues that the nation knew about Buchanan  --

https://www.salon.com/2012/05/14/our_real_first_gay_president/

Interesting article!! My thinking on homosexuality and progres seem to agree with it.

First let me say that historically a percentage of humans were and are homosexual . It is a natural event. If i remember correctly from Uni days something between 6-7%.

I remember   reported that in England the percentage was a few base points higher to which I argued that it was pretty much the same in any  population , and that it was just more likely that a higher percentage of people in England were willing to admit  they were gay.

So if we are willing to accept that in any population a certain amount of people are gay, (6-7%) why would we exclude the Presidential population ? There have being  45 presidents x7% =3,15 exactly the number claimed in your Thread. In other words the presidential population is representative of the general population. (of course comparing statistics is much more complicated than that) 

Acceptance is a different issue. Historically, by most civilizations, homesexuality was accepted as a natural human aspect, especially during Hellenistic times (Greek Roman) It was only with the advent of biblical monotheism as interpreted by Christianity,  that homosexuality become taboo.

So  indeed social progress has not being linear, the problem has ben exasperated with the advent of the modern Nation paradigm , and not only Ethnocentrism but also the  willingles of the elite to use such Ethnocentrism and biblical theology to take as on a two thousand year tangent.

It's no coincidence that with the information Era ,as national barriers tumble , decrease in  religious identification,  and  increase in Atheism, Homosexuality is regaining its rightful place in what it means to be Human.

As far as Mayor Pete is concerned , It was not that long ago that even i didn't think we were ready for a black president. So who knows? But IMO we can't afford to be wrong and have to endure another 4 years of trump. It would be disastrous for the US and for the world.

Regardless of what happens, expect this election cycle to be the last time he is called Mayor Pete, I don't know what the title will be ,   Vice President,Governor, Senator Or Congressman are a good bet.

Edited by sirineou

Post removed.   This is the gay forum and if you wish to speak disparagingly about gays, go elsewhere.   It's not going to be tolerated here.  

This is also not a political thread.   Take your political positions to the appropriate section.  

Well this article is definitely on point. I remember reading The Best Little Boy In The World long ago and this theory certainly makes a good case. The reality is that there is something about Buttigieg's personality (or lack thereof) that is not clicking with a lot of people, straight and gay (and especially African Americans). So did he become this way because of all those years in the CLOSET? I don't know of course, but it could be. 

Queer Like Pete -- Buttigieg is getting slammed for being a type of gay man America fails to appreciate.

As Pete Buttigieg rises in the polls in early caucus and primary states like Iowa and New Hampshire, criticism of the candidate has mounted, particularly around his personality. Since entering the field, initial appreciation for the South Bend, Indiana, mayor’s relative youth and rolled-sleeves Midwestern energy has given way to a sense in certain incredulous quarters that he is robotic, overly polished, McKinsey-calculating, somehow fake. A related discontent has emerged in some corners of the LGBTQ community around Buttigieg’s relationship to his own gay identity.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/11/pete-buttigieg-gay-archetype-best-little-boy.html

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I'll take Pete over warren or Bernie that's for certain. He's a smart guy, or he sounds smart. In all seriousness, what would his husband's title be in the White House?

First Man 

FMOUS

Actually Mayor Pete is well financed so comparing him to Harris doesn't add up. Finances aren't everything but they are a lot. The reason Harris wasn't getting contributions is because for whatever reasons her support fizzled out. Oh well!

To be clear I don't think Mayor Pete will be nominated and if nominated I wouldn't be confident that he can win. But he might be.

Posts which are making general political discussion about other candidates have been removed.   This is the gay forum and there may be political implications in a discussion but the discussion should not be about politics, per se.

I don't think anyone much cares that he's gay. I do think they'll begin to wonder just what the hell is he even doing there. He is clearly being groomed but no one's even looked at his mayoral record which is abysmal. Two terms during a continuous economic expansion and over 25% of your citizens still live below the poverty line? Media flavor of the week or not, I predict his fall starts from as early as now and as late as next week. Bright fella though.

49 minutes ago, PAWNEESE said:

Im not sure if America, the World or more importantly .... me ... are ready for a male first lady yet.

A male would not be a first lady. It would be the exact same issue with a married to a man woman president. Her husband would not be a first lady either. 

A reservation I've heard that is a little more interesting is how would a gay American president deal with direct diplomacy with leaders of extremely antigay countries like Saudi, Sudan, Russia, etc. People might say Ireland doesn't have a problem with having a gay leader. Well Ireland isn't a major world power. 

Edited by Jingthing

Not only presidents!

15 Gay Founding Fathers and Mothers

While acceptance of LGBT people may feel like it only hit its stride in recent years (and may still be set back), homosexuality has always been a part of America. Indeed, many of this nation’s Founding Fathers partook in the company of other men, and even some of the straight leaders of the day showed a level of tolerance that ought to make Mike Pence think twice. Here’s a look at some of the nation’s architects from the colonial days to the Civil War who prove LGBT individuals always had a place in the American tapestry.

https://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/2018/2/02/15-gay-founding-fathers-and-mothers

Edited by Jingthing

• 4 weeks later...

This guy is eminantly hateable. Inserted into the campaign to subvert democracy.

Why Pete Buttigieg Enrages the Young Left

A writer for Out magazine, putting it in starker terms, tweeted that if he “had balls he’d run as the republican he is against trump in the primary.”

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/01/01/pete-buttigieg-enrages-left-liberals-2020-091479

• 1 month later...

So the Iowa caucus happened and due to a major mess up, we don't have the final results yet.

But at about 75 percent counted so far, Mayor Pete is in the lead in delegates which is how the Iowa caucus works, by delegates.

So if he holds that lead, Mayor Pete will be the first openly gay candidate in American history to win in any state major party presidential primary.

History will have been made. But maybe not!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Somebody failed to get the memo!

People like this get to choose the candidates for the Oval Office, and people  ask "how did Trump get elected". Not informed about anything, and they get to vote.

Edited by RJRS1301

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

People like this get to choose the candidates for the Oval Office, and people  ask "how did Trump get elected". Not informed about anything, and they get to vote.

This clip was put on the Late Night with Stephen Colbert. She's famous now! 

On 2/5/2020 at 7:40 PM, Jingthing said:

So the Iowa caucus happened and due to a major mess up, we don't have the final results yet.

But at about 75 percent counted so far, Mayor Pete is in the lead in delegates which is how the Iowa caucus works, by delegates.

So if he holds that lead, Mayor Pete will be the first openly gay candidate in American history to win in any state major party presidential primary.

History will have been made. But maybe not!

Wow. 

Now with about 97 percent counted things have tightened a lot.

Mayor Pete 26.2 percent

Bernie 26.1 percent

Apparently that last 3 percent count is going to take a lot longer because things need to be (OMG) mailed in. 

So anyway, whether the history mentioned above will actually happen looks less likely now.

Well it's been very slow and messy but by now it appears the Mayor Pete has won Iowa by a tiny fraction in the delegate counting which again is how winners are determined in the Iowa caucus. Sanders showing isn't exactly chopped liver either so both deserve to be happy with the result if not the process to get there.

It's a bigger deal for Mayor Pete though as he was much more of surprise winner.

So anyway, the history thing happened and as Stephen Colbert pointed out even getting one delegate in such a race would have been historic for an openly gay man.

Speaking of which --

Buttigieg’s Iowa success unleashes emotion and commentary on his gay identity

LACONIA, N.H. — Within moments of Pete Buttigieg officially finishing at the top of the Iowa caucuses this week, the LGBTQ Victory Fund announced its conclusion: "America is ready for the first openly gay president!"

A few hours later, Buttigieg himself spoke lovingly of his husband, Chasten, in an unusually emotional way, saying at a CNN town hall that “I quite simply couldn’t do it without him” as Chasten looked on affectionately from the audience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/buttigiegs-iowa-success-unleashes-emotion-and-commentary-on-his-gay-identity/2020/02/08/45f3695e-49f6-11ea-9164-d3154ad8a5cd_story.html

• Like 1

So the latest is that Mayor Pete actually won more decisively by delegates in Iowa than previously reported. But who's noticing now? Too late. He's running a close second in New Hampshire but now it's time to go down south, more homophobic south.  

History has been made in Iowa but  ...

Pete Buttigieg made history. Why has no one noticed?

It’s the headline from Iowa we are still waiting for: “Gay candidate wins Iowa caucuses.” And yet, while for the first time in U.S. history, an openly gay candidate for president won delegates to a major party convention — and thanked his husband during his victory speech — this historic achievement has received virtually no attention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/11/pete-buttigieg-made-history-why-has-no-one-noticed/