Mayor Pete -- Is the USA ready for it's 2nd or 3rd gay president?

Jingthing

Well, this was totally predictable to happen in the event of Mayor Pete actually becoming a contender. So for the time being anyway, he is indeed a contender in the very top tier of the democratic nominating contest.

So here come the anti-gay bigots. Right on cue!

Personally I think if nominated the gay thing will probably be a wash. Of course the anti-gay bigots mostly would have voted for 45 anyway and the homophobic political messaging against him will likely motivate some people to show support for him out of the principle of being against homophobia.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-allies-take-aim-at-buttigiegs-sexuality-a-possible-sign-of-things-to-come/2020/02/13/d68b7a3c-4ea7-11ea-9b5c-eac5b16dafaa_story.html

Trump allies take aim at Buttigieg’s sexuality, a possible sign of things to come

Allies of President Trump have sharply focused attention on the sexual identity of presidential contender Pete Buttigieg in recent days, questioning in stark terms whether Americans are ready for a gay candidate who kisses his husband onstage.

The attacks are prompting blunt responses from Buttigieg’s allies and even his Democratic rivals, who call the remarks inappropriate and offensive. The exchanges were ignited by radio host Rush Limbaugh, who received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump last week and who framed his comments as an ostensible analysis of how Democrats feel.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:22 PM, Jingthing said:

Wow. You are very misinformed.

A person can be fired from their job, denied employment, denied housing in the majority of U.S. states simply for having a LGBT identity. 

Americans are legally protected against that based on gender, race, and religion but not LGBT identity.

That's basic and LGBT people don't even have that. 

The democratic party supports a federal law to override all the state laws that allow that kind of unfair discrimination. The republican party led by 45-Pence do not. 

That's one of many reasons I'm Republican. No special rights based on homosexual preferences or the way in which one chooses to dress oneself (no pun intended).

Homosexuals have the exact same rights as everyone else as laid down in the US Constitution. They just don't get supra rights. At least that's my hope and my vote.

20 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

IMO Trevor Noah would  be a supreme political contender. Unfortunately he is not a  born Merican.

Well he is doing much better at the Daily Show than I had expected. Perhaps it's his part Jewish background, said in a positive sense as there are so many Jews in American comedy. No, I don't see him going into politics, why should he bother with that, but I think any foreign born US citizens is eligible for any elected office except president. But probably he isn't even a US citizen? 

So, umm, what does your post have to do with the gay angle to Mayor Pete's presidential campaign?

Edited by Jingthing

This thread seemed like it was becoming something of a battle. I must admit when it came to the initials I was more than a little lost....so I looked it up.....as it happens the N.Y.Times was first on the search list...rather apt as the OP was about some young feller who is mayor of somewhere in America and is of Maltese/American heritage. I'm not sure what to make of that either...it's confusing, so I'll give you a personal example. My daughter is  English (White). She married a man born in Bermuda who's mother is English (White) and his father was a Bermudan (Black). They emigrated to Oz and both got Oz citizenship. Their daughters were both born in Oz. How would we describe the girls' ethnicity?

Anyway, this is how the N.Y. Times furthered my education ( I must state that I've never seen or read the paper and I don't know whether it has a Democrat or Republic slant).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/style/lgbtq-gender-language.html

According to this it appears that history does repeat itself...Queer is becoming acceptable again and not considered derogatory. Who would have thought it?

Well Pete's father is from Malta from which he got his unusual surname. This reveals its actually Syrian Arabic in origin meaning keeper of chickens which may eventually give republican xenophobes some birther style attack material. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttigieg

Keeper of chickens has another meaning in the gay subculture but I won't go there. 

Pete identifies as a gay man so because of that I wouldn't call him queer. He's very mainstream that way. Many LGBTQ Americans find him too mainstream and heteronormative for their tastes but face it if he wasn't he wouldn't be doing so well. 

The New York Times is the most important newspaper in the USA and indeed does have a liberal bias in their editorial side. 

I personally prefer the Washington Post though. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well he is doing much better at the Daily Show than I had expected. Perhaps it's his part Jewish background, said in a positive sense as there are so many Jews in American comedy. No, I don't see him going into politics, why should he bother with that, but I think he is eligible for any elected office except president. 

So, umm, what does your post have to do with Mayor Pete's presidential campaign?

lmao! I was not aware  Noah had any  Jewish  background but  maybe that assists his wry wit?

Why did I suggest ? Because it is beyond high time that the core of  politics is  rinsed of corrupt complacent duffers who are provided bought and paid for support which is fundamentally contrived to fund systems of persuasive deception to protect and continue the domination of an elite core. And that  can be applied anywhere in any political system. Noah (and rare others)  are in a position where they can identify and present provocative insightful perceptions of real events contrary to mainstream suffocation of free thinking.

Being  gay or colours of the rainbow are probably an advantage for those  who are  comfortable enough with the fact of it  not to let it  impede, restrict or effect the basis of political aspirations . That would define their genuiosity !

Sadly his commentaries  are relegated to the sphere of  "entertainment" but due to that he is able to avoid "official censure".

"Mayor  Pete" ? Should  be a major contender but the voting public are still generally trapped in the deceptive perception that age accompanied with apparent evident wealth equals wisdom.

IMO if  Pete Buttigieg was able to present as  Noah does he would walk over his contenders despite his lack of aged wisdom.

Edited by Dumbastheycome

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Allies of President Trump have sharply focused attention on the sexual identity of presidential contender Pete Buttigieg in recent days, questioning in stark terms whether Americans are ready for a gay candidate who kisses his husband onstage.

Perhaps they possibly need to ask if flagrant displays of heterosexuality are appropriate in the 21st century, as displays ofsubscribing to a religious dogma are approrpiate.

Personally everytime I see DJT go to kiss his partner, or forcefully grab her unwilling hand, I cringe.

What one does in the privacy of their bedroom is none of my business as long as it does not affect their professional performance.  I will not withhold my support because of it, but I will not support him because of it also. 

Jingthing

Martin Van Buren also may have been gay.

I am against Buttigieg because he's not progressive, running the country is nothing like running a small town, he was a McKinsey consultant, and he can't win, because the US is not yet liberal enough to elect a gay guy.  The last point is the critical one, because the most important goal is to get rid of Trump.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:
10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps they possibly need to ask if flagrant displays of heterosexuality are appropriate in the 21st century, as displays ofsubscribing to a religious dogma are approrpiate.

Personally everytime I see DJT go to kiss his partner, or forcefully grab her unwilling hand, I cringe.

I guess Mrs Buttigieg will have to wear pasties in public so his nipples don't become visible under his shirt and enrage the sensitivities of those sorts.

When I was a kid we had a Catholic parish priest with that name.  He had a thick accent and spoke Italian, so I assumed that's what he was, and was definitely over 50.  His main role was Italian-language mass (this was pre-Vat II, so the ceremonial part was still in Latin) and hear confessions from what was left of the old country folk.  Otherwise we didn't see much of him.  Sorry, no pedophile joke here.

His name was pronounced "Buddha cake."

JT: did you see the clip of the caucuser (sp?) in Iowa who found out PB was gay (and married to a man!) after voting?  She kept saying "are you kidding me?"  And then "can I have my vote card back?"

I think Seth played it.

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Jingthing

Martin Van Buren also may have been gay.

I am against Buttigieg because he's not progressive, running the country is nothing like running a small town, he was a McKinsey consultant, and he can't win, because the US is not yet liberal enough to elect a gay guy.  The last point is the critical one, because the most important goal is to get rid of Trump.

Well I happen to agree with you that there is that extra risk to nominate him. Not only the homophobia factor but also his extreme youth for a presidential candidate. 

I will post this without comment except to say 

Sigh. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/14/pete-buttigieg-san-francisco-queer-activists-fundraiser

Queer activists disrupt Pete Buttigieg event in San Francisco: ‘We deserve better’

Fundraiser highlights division as growing number of LGBTQ+ voters say his views don’t represent them

8 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

As a BLT person myself I wonder what monolithic views I'm supposed to hold along with all my fellow BLTs. As far as I'm concerned GB&Q have a common interest in c**k. That's the only thing we have in common. A lack of interest is what the others have in common. Go figure what sort of community that is

This reminds me of the earlier stages of the Obama campaign where many black people were complaining that he wasn't black enough to represent black Americans and also because he didn't share the family legacy of slavery shared by most. That went away when he won. But in his case as he's mixed race there was something to the question. 

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This reminds me of the earlier stages of the Obama campaign where many black people were complaining that he wasn't black enough to represent black Americans and also because he didn't share the family legacy of slavery shared by most. That went away when he won. But in his case as he's mixed race there was something to the question. 

The difference is that everyone (or the vast majority) agreed that blackness was a common feature to them all and had meaning to them all. Mine is the opposite argument - our sexuality is utterly meaningless and we have nothing in common with each other

31 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

The difference is that everyone (or the vast majority) agreed that blackness was a common feature to them all and had meaning to them all. Mine is the opposite argument - our sexuality is utterly meaningless and we have nothing in common with each other

I think what LGBTQ have in common is an allegiance based on being in minority identity groups roughly related to sexuality and gender identity. As I've said before of course there is no LGBTQ monolith and indeed there is no monolith of gay males either. There are commonalities that many do share though. For those that don't get that, I would suggest watching some of the many thousands of "coming out" videos on youtube.

Is a lot of this about politics? Sure it is. What isn't about politics in human societies?

A similar example that comes to my mind is that in the USA there is a rough alliance of Jews and Muslims that might surprise some people. When either group gets hit by violence or outrageous discrimination such as 45's Muslim ban, representatives of the other group always come out in public support. Why is that? They share a similar minority status in terms of small numbers in an overwhelmingly Christian identified nation. They share challenges with antisemitism and Islamophobia respectively. It's not as organized an alliance as LGBTQ but I do see some parallels.  

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would suggest watching some of them many thousands of "coming out" videos on youtube.

You know my views on how "coming out" is just another (subtle) form of homophobia. I'm sure I share "commonalities" with many people, but none of them will be based on my sexuality. How could they, since sexuality itself is not binary but, as Kinsey's research showed, a continuum?

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

You know my views on how "coming out" is just another (subtle) form of homophobia. I'm sure I share "commonalities" with many people, but none of them will be based on my sexuality. How could they, since sexuality itself is not binary but, as Kinsey's research showed, a continuum?

Well you're entitled to your opinion. I don't share it. Cheers. 

Numerous offensive, off-topic, baiting posts and replies removed.   The thread is not about partisan politics.  It's not about Trump.   Continued posting of political discussions will result in a suspension.   You have been warned.  

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is something we've never seen on the presidential campaign trail before --

He is a future leader that young man, be good to see where he is 20 years time, and his aspirations