Bangkok stray dog bite

tom6195

30 year old British Asian male here, weight about 144 pounds non smoker. 4 days ago I was bitten by a stray dog in Bangkok in my lower right arm outside. I was treated within the hour at a very good hospital with the wound cleaned, HRIG injections and rabies vaccine with tetanus vaccine course started too. I was also given anti biotics of augmentin and acroxia. I’m now back in the Uk where I’ve had the 2nd of 4 total rabies vaccine shots, and the bandage changed on my wound. Since coming back I’ve been researching the treatment and I’m now a bit concerned about the dosage of HRIG I was given. According to the instructions I should have my body weight x 20/150 administered, which is about 8.5ml. My hospital report states I was given 8ml only. Should I be worried about this? I would also like to ask how often should I change the bandage and how long will it take to heal? I am on my own so it’s a bit difficult but I can ask my friend to help me to do it.

So your concerned about 0.5ml .......   I wouldn't be too worried, I am sure the doctors in Bangkok have treated more soi dog bite patients than most,  your talking about a tiny amount.

Change the bandage as needed and just keep it clean and free of any dirt. Give it a week and you'll be out with the dogs again.

If you start to feel unwell at anytime go straight to the hospital.

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

So your concerned about 0.5ml .......   I wouldn't be too worried, I am sure the doctors in Bangkok have treated more soi dog bite patients than most,  your talking about a tiny amount.

Change the bandage as needed and just keep it clean and free of any dirt. Give it a week and you'll be out with the dogs again.

If you start to feel unwell at anytime go straight to the hospital.

Hi there Steven!

Yeah, as OCD as it sounds I am worrying over this. I’m told that they did check my weight while under observation before administering the HRIG and it could be that my weight was around 60/61kg at the time since I had only been eating once a day while I’m Thailand and sweating an awful lot through walking and exercise. Since coming back to the UK I’m back to eating 3 times a day and not done any exercise either so I’ve returned to my normal weight of around 145/146lbs. Hopefully I’m worrying over nothing it’s just this is the closest thing to scared I’ve ever been for my life ????

28 minutes ago, tom6195 said:

Hi there Steven!

Yeah, as OCD as it sounds I am worrying over this. I’m told that they did check my weight while under observation before administering the HRIG and it could be that my weight was around 60/61kg at the time since I had only been eating once a day while I’m Thailand and sweating an awful lot through walking and exercise. Since coming back to the UK I’m back to eating 3 times a day and not done any exercise either so I’ve returned to my normal weight of around 145/146lbs. Hopefully I’m worrying over nothing it’s just this is the closest thing to scared I’ve ever been for my life ????

How did you manage to get bitten? I can't remember seeing a stray dog in Bangkok.

12 minutes ago, adammike said:

How did you manage to get bitten? I can't remember seeing a stray dog in Bangkok.

Really? I saw tens man. Most shops I walked past had dogs sitting out front and even some of the allies I walked down on my way to / from the hospital had some evil looking dogs waiting at the end for me! I was staying near the khaosan road area from what I’ve read online there’s numerous reports of people being bitten by strays.

No reason to stress over the 0.5ml and you are lucky you got the HRIG, they often omit it here (wrongly).

As other poster said, change the bandage as needed i.e. when wet or dirty. Once the wound is scabbed over you can omit the bandage if you want. Don't pick at the scab though.

Relax. You did the right thing in getting prompt medical care and received the right treatment.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No reason to stress over the 0.5ml and you are lucky you got the HRIG, they often omit it here (wrongly).

As other poster said, change the bandage as needed i.e. when wet or dirty. Once the wound is scabbed over you can omit the bandage if you want. Don't pick at the scab though.

Relax. You did the right thing in getting prompt medical care and received the right treatment.

Thank you for the reassurance Sheryl. I will probably change the bandage tomorrow but I’m wondering if it’s save to use an adhesive sterile dressing from the 7th day?

14 hours ago, tom6195 said:

Thank you for the reassurance Sheryl. I will probably change the bandage tomorrow but I’m wondering if it’s save to use an adhesive sterile dressing from the 7th day?

Yes, it is safe.

But if the wound is no longer open (i.e. scabbed over) it is not really necessary.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, it is safe.

But if the wound is no longer open (i.e. scabbed over) it is not really necessary.

Thanks Sheryl!

i’m still fixating on the volume of HRIG I was given ???? I’ve spoken to the friend who was with me at the hospital and she assured me that the medical team did check my weight it’s just that today I weigh 67kgs which would require 8.6-8.7ml. It’s entirely feasible that my weight could’ve been around the 60-61kgs mark on Sunday (24th March) as on this day and the days preceding this I had only been eating one evening meal and sweating my ass off through walking/hiking/climbing/kayaking - it’s just playing on my mind that I might not have been given enough. I have my 3rd rabies vaccine shot tomorrow and the final one is in 2 weeks time. After this how will I know if I’m protected and not infected?

2 minutes ago, tom6195 said:

Thanks Sheryl!

i’m still fixating on the volume of HRIG I was given ???? I’ve spoken to the friend who was with me at the hospital and she assured me that the medical team did check my weight it’s just that today I weigh 67kgs which would require 8.6-8.7ml. It’s entirely feasible that my weight could’ve been around the 60-61kgs mark on Sunday (24th March) as on this day and the days preceding this I had only been eating one evening meal and sweating my ass off through walking/hiking/climbing/kayaking - it’s just playing on my mind that I might not have been given enough. I have my 3rd rabies vaccine shot tomorrow and the final one is in 2 weeks time. After this how will I know if I’m protected and not infected?

You need to get a  grip as you are being irrational.

You are protected and you are not infected.  You know this because you received appropriate prophylactic treatment in a timely manner.

Let it go and fixate on something else or you'll drive yourself crazy.

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You need to get a  grip as you are being irrational.

You are protected and you are not infected.  You know this because you received appropriate prophylactic treatment in a timely manner.

Let it go and fixate on something else or you'll drive yourself crazy.

Im going to try and stop worrying about this. It’s just been a bit of an ordeal I’ve never been in a position like this before!

So I’ve just changed the bandage myself, cleaning the area with antiseptic wipes then applying in inadine dressing wrapped up in a bandage and taped securely (pretty much exactly what the nurse did this last Thursday) The tooth hole from the bite is still quite fresh but clean and not showing any signs of scabbing over yet. Is there anything else I can be doing to encourage the puncture wound to heal?

So I’ve just changed the bandage myself, cleaning the area with antiseptic wipes then applying in inadine dressing wrapped up in a bandage and taped securely (pretty much exactly what the nurse did this last Thursday) The tooth hole from the bite is still quite fresh but clean and not showing any signs of scabbing over yet. Is there anything else I can be doing to encourage the puncture wound to heal?
Really it just needs time and you need to relax. But if you must do something a supplement containing zinc and vitamin c speeds wound healing. Redoxan if available there, otherwise ask local chemist to suggest something.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. So it’s been 30 days since my bite, and 9 days since my last injection. In total I had 4 shots of  HRIG + 4 shots of vaccine on days 0, 3, 7 and 21. The travel clinic said I don’t anymore than that and I don’t need to get my blood tested. I feel fine generally, although I did have a 48 hour flu type of bug around day 18/19 post-bite. This subsided and now I just have a stuffy nose. The wound is healing slowly and scar tissue is starting to form. Overall I am relaxed, but there is some worry in the back of my mind whenever I start thinking about it. 

Hi everyone. So it’s been 30 days since my bite, and 9 days since my last injection. In total I had 4 shots of  HRIG + 4 shots of vaccine on days 0, 3, 7 and 21. The travel clinic said I don’t anymore than that and I don’t need to get my blood tested. I feel fine generally, although I did have a 48 hour flu type of bug around day 18/19 post-bite. This subsided and now I just have a stuffy nose. The wound is healing slowly and scar tissue is starting to form. Overall I am relaxed, but there is some worry in the back of my mind whenever I start thinking about it. 
I was bitten a few days ago. I'm on the shots also, D0, D3, D7, D28 slightly different to you

On 4/24/2019 at 10:43 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 4/24/2019 at 8:15 PM, tom6195 said:

I was bitten a few days ago. I'm on the shots also, D0, D3, D7, D28 slightly different to you

Ah man I’m sorry to hear that, what happened? Where are you getting your post exposure treatment?

Ah man I’m sorry to hear that, what happened? Where are you getting your post exposure treatment?
A dog I've walked past 50 times and has always been passive decided to come straight over without barking and bite the back of my leg.

I'm in Pattaya, initial treatment was Pattaya City Hospital but subsequent injections will be Bang Lamung Hospital. D7 on Monday, 256 baht. I went to tourist police and City Hall to get the dog removed, no sign of it earlier today although they said it will take 2-4 weeks

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A dog I've walked past 50 times and has always been passive decided to come straight over without barking and bite the back of my leg.

I'm in Pattaya, initial treatment was Pattaya City Hospital but subsequent injections will be Bang Lamung Hospital. D7 on Monday, 256 baht. I went to tourist police and City Hall to get the dog removed, no sign of it earlier today although they said it will take 2-4 weeks

How bad was your bite?

On 3/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, tom6195 said:

I’m now back in the Uk where I’ve had the 2nd of 4 total rabies vaccine shots, and the bandage changed on my wound.

I'm kind of curious why you wouldn't ask your health care professionals back in the UK?  They're a lot more reliable for health care advice than a random sampling of posters on a Thai Visa forum.

Edit:  Sheryl is dead solid, for sure.  But how would you filter her advice out of the noise?

Were You already vaccinated against rabies and now just receiving boosters?   

i had 2 rabies vaccinations 20 years ago, the Doctor and I discussed it and to be on the safe side we went with the full works. So 2 injections around the bite, and Speeda post exposure immunization in each arm on the same day D0. I've subsequently had D3 and D7 in each arm and one final one is due D28. 

My health insurance company checked the treatment and were happy with it

On 4/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, scubascuba3 said:

i had 2 rabies vaccinations 20 years ago, the Doctor and I discussed it and to be on the safe side we went with the full works. So 2 injections around the bite, and Speeda post exposure immunization in each arm on the same day D0. I've subsequently had D3 and D7 in each arm and one final one is due D28. 

My health insurance company checked the treatment and were happy with it

How you feeling bud?

Archived