State of emergency urged as air pollution hits 'disastrous' levels in North

rooster59

State of emergency urged as air pollution hits 'disastrous' levels in North

By Pratch Rujivanarom 
Nisanart Kangwanwong 
The Nation

81d1b9f047f037a374682f09bea17571.jpeg

An academic has called on the government to declare a state of emergency as Chiang Mai and most Northern Provinces face 'disastrous' levels of PM2.5 smog.

Citizen in the North are being advised to stay inside air conditioned buildings and avoid all outdoor activities, as some areas of Chiang Mai recorded PM2.5 levels reaching higher than 700 micrograms per cubic metre of air on Saturday morning.

Witsanu Attavanich, a lecturer at Kasetsart University, said that with such deadly levels of PM2.5 pollution in the air over 500 micrograms, it is far beyond the capacity of the local authorities to cope with the situation and the central government needs to step in now and declare a state of emergency.

4318866844048065421d0f0c3f8d9e6d.jpeg

“Such a disastrous level of PM2.5 is probably the highest level ever recorded in Thailand,” Witsanu said.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=14

“No need to consider the level of threat from such dangerously hazardous air pollution on our health, as breathing in only 100 micrograms of PM2.5 is considered to be very harmful to the health of healthy persons.”

Earlier on January, all schools in Bangkok were temporarily shut down when the PM2.5 level was around 70 to 120 micrograms. But, so far, except for the preparation of safe zones in Chiang Mai city centre, no such emergency procedure has been ordered by Chiang Mai Provincial Authority.

Chiang Mai again was the the world's most polluted city onairvisual.com as of 11am as it had an air quality index (AQI) of 532 and 549.4 mcg in PM2.5, way ahead of the second place holder, Delhi (215 and 164.2 mcg).

020ae8051435b31d8d6162f3b2acbb5e.jpeg

The Chiang Mai Air Quality Health Index (CMAQHI) Center's website (cmaqhi.org) cited the hourly amount of PM2.5 – airborne particulates 2.5 microns or less in diameter – in Chiang Mai at 5am reached more than 500 micrograms per cubic metre of air, while the AQI for the top seven areas flashed the "beyond AQI reading capacity" message.

The website's "DustBoy" readings showed Tambon Yang Mern in Samoeng district was worst off with the PM2.5 level of 763.05 mcg followed by Tambon Kud Chang in Mae Taeng district at 625.34mcg, and Tambon Thung Satok in San Pathong district at 582.33 mcg. 

Muang Chiang Mai had an AQI of 397 and the PM2.5 level of 346.66 mcg while the Maharat Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital area cited an AQI of 340 and the PM2.5 level of 290.14 mcg.

Chiang Mai University’s Research Institute for Health Sciences director Professor Kwanchai Suparatpinyo said the situation was critical. He cited the worsening haze from the many forest fires that ravaged Chiang Mai and the northern region while the trans-border smoke from neighbouring countries were also a factor.

He urged people to stay indoors and refrain from all outdoor activity - especially small children, elderly persons and pregnant women as well as those with chronic ailments such as allergies and heart disease.

In the mean time, the Pollution Control Department (PCD) at 11am, put the 24-hour average of PM2.5 between 36mcg and 239mcg per cubic metre of air in nine northern provinces. Tambon Jong Kham in Muang Mae Hong Son was worst off at 239 mcg, followed by Wiang Phang Kham in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district at 224 mcg. Tambon Wiang in Muang Chiang Rai cited 98 mcg, while Chang Pheuk and Sri Phum in Muang Chiang Mai cited 172 mcg and 168 mcg respectively.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366833

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-30

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can do any state they want, emergency, end of the world, whatever but with 0 enforcement and the neighbours burning away, 0 effect.

EDIT: 700!! Time to evacuate if you're still there. The meter on my balcony in the Pattaya dark side says 26 right now. Plenty of long time hotels avaiable here.

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They can do any state they want, emergency, end of the world, whatever but with 0 enforcement and the neighbours burning away, 0 effect.

EDIT: 700!! Time to evacuate if you're still there. The meter on my balcony in the Pattaya dark side says 26 right now. Plenty of long time hotels avaiable here.

My family including 3 small kids have already fled, they're lucky they have options.

And still no substantive action by the local governor or other local officials and nothing substantive from the PM or national officials.

In recent years we've seen quick and fairly well organized action with good results by the army in flood and other situations, where are they now?

Utterly disgraceful.

I wonder what Khun Thanathorn, the FF leader would have already done if he was in the PM seat, and i'm confident he would have taken serious and substantial action.  

1. Anyone lighting a forest or field gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

2. Anyone in possession of those grim black mushrooms gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

3. Any burn forest or field must lie fallow for 10 years.

4. Anyone found growing crops on burnt land within a 10 year period gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

5. Any company, including all directors of the board, that utilize burnt land shall have their business assets seized to pay for harm caused, and all parties shall have their personal assets frozen for 10 years and 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

6. Any politician found receiving donations or accepting a lobbying appeal from a company, or representative of a company, which has been prosecuted and found guilty of any of parts 1 to 5, shall have their personal assets seized to pay for harm caused, and gets 20 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

Problem solved if someone up there only had the balls.

THAILAND>>>> You have the means and Power to stops this ASAP!!! Read on, do something or you are as guilty as the Offenders!! 

Use your Cloud seeding capabilities to wash the sky's at the boarder.Then Countries who are committing this breach should be "Fined" same as Offenders here in Thailand!!

Only way to stop it and address the issue "Head On"!! Large Fines, I mean really Large!! also get courts to force offending parties to pay medical costs to help those who have really been affected!!

1 minute ago, realfunster said:

I must have missed the mushroom thing - seen it referenced a couple of times now - what’s the story ?

"Smoked" mushrooms grow in the fields where burning has occurred and the farmers sell these for profit .

Although these are probably just a by product of the burning , rather thn the sole reason why they do it 

5 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I must have missed the mushroom thing - seen it referenced a couple of times now - what’s the story ?

Apparently some tribespeople burn the undergrowth in the jungle to promote the growth of valuable mushrooms which are later harvested and sold.

This adds to the field burning carried out by some farmers and corporations to clear stubble and prepare sugarcane for harvesting, and the slash and burning of the jungle to clear it for agriculture.

i still wonder why the government do not encourage alternatives to burning such as large scale mulching and composting which retains the nutrients of the vegetation and prevents atmospheric pollution. Providing the necessary processing plant would be the greatest service the government could do and may even pay for itself.

8 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Apparently some tribespeople burn the undergrowth in the jungle to promote the growth of valuable mushrooms which are later harvested and sold.

This adds to the field burning carried out by some farmers and corporations to clear stubble and prepare sugarcane for harvesting, and the slash and burning of the jungle to clear it for agriculture.

i still wonder why the government do not encourage alternatives to burning such as large scale mulching and composting which retains the nutrients of the vegetation and prevents atmospheric pollution. Providing the necessary processing plant would be the greatest service the government could do and may even pay for itself.

Good points, plus I read somewhere on here that they burn the sugarcane before harvesting as it makes it easier to do by hand. I do not know if this is good info, but if it is why does the government not rent out or provide machines for harvesting.

Why is it, in all these kinds of news reports, the news media always has academics CALLING for something to be done.

But rarely any comment from the government types responding to/addressing those demands. Does The Nation not know how to contact the provincial authorities in CM or have they all gone into hiding, or more likely, left the province for somewhere else with breathable air.

One of the duties of any responsible news organization is to find and press the authorities with those kinds of questions and demand answers on the record of why they're basically doing nothing. Insist that they explain themselves to the news media and thereby to the public, and see what happens.

But instead, we repeatedly just get one hand clapping in the burning forest, and no sound being heard.

5 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Thais enjoy the smoke.

How many times -at dusk- you see them lighting a bonfire (in the villages) and sitting nearby 

Good for keeping the mozzies away....????‍♂️

nice get together, like Guy Fawkes night.

49 minutes ago, realfunster said:

There is a huge market for the mushrooms that are encouraged to grow by the burning.

The huge market?

The all consuming, "locust" market that is China of course:

What's the big deal here?  Not the first time this happened.  The poor air quality is the result of thais long standing attitude since this "action" began. If Thai people cared they would do something.  They don't care!  Period!  

So if you all are so worried, start a Go Fund.  Maybe BJ will notice your kindness and go easy on your next Visa renew... make it easier to open a bank account the first time...heck, maybe BJ will throw in a free Elite visa...

1 hour ago, teacherofwoe said:

1. Anyone lighting a forest or field gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

2. Anyone in possession of those grim black mushrooms gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

4. Anyone found growing crops on burnt land within a 10 year period gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

5. Any company, including all directors of the board, that utilize burnt land shall have their business assets seized to pay for harm caused, and all parties shall have their personal assets frozen for 10 years and 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

6. Any politician found receiving donations or accepting a lobbying appeal from a company, or representative of a company, which has been prosecuted and found guilty of any of parts 1 to 5, shall have their personal assets seized to pay for harm caused, and gets 20 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

...and make the possession or sale of these particular mushrooms illegal and enforce that new statute!  Remove the profit incentive and treat this exactly as a narcotic drug.

Weirdly, I just checked outside here in Tambon Rimtai (A. Mae Rim) and my tester shocked me with a reading of 128.  It was 600 at 9 AM taken from the same location.  Pray all that this will not be a fluke, but indeed the skies looked much cleaner as well.

So it's finally gone from "Hey, it aint' a problem.", to "They sky is falling!"  
Funny that.  My guess is that the BKK Elite are praying for rain so the problem is kicked down the road to next year.  Addressing the real problems is an exercise in face-loss for too many puuyai.  The sooner it disappears the better.

So maybe here's the guidelines:
"Little people, poor, and the unwashed masses - "hunker down inside." 
"but, but, but - we need to work!!!" 
"Put a wet cloth over your nose.  Well think on the bright side, if you die of lung cancer or other PM2.5 related illnesses, you won't be a burden to your families - so die quickly.  And you won't be a burden to the state either."

"Puuyai!  Air-conditions, air-purifiers, say inside your businesses and let the little-people come to you.  For those with the top two tiers of Social medicine welfare schemes or private insurance - you'll be well taken care of.

1 hour ago, teacherofwoe said:

well meant - but dream on

Nothing can be done until they start banning and enforcing burning

Until they start with this they can double and triple the threat of punishment to no avail

I'm barricated in my airconditioned room in Nimman area, but still can't breath well. Around 11 am we had AQI more then 500, now is progressively going down. I wonder if I'm going to face a cancer in the next few years. Sometimes I miss my <deleted> smoggy european hometown.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

My guess is that the BKK Elite are praying for rain so the problem is kicked down the road to next year.

Yep! same as they have been doing for many years now! ????

19 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I believe sprinkling water haphazardly is the time honored solution from govt and academics so an early Songkran could be the solution. 

It's a drought and farmers can't be allowed to plant rice or other crops because there is no water.
And the PM2.5 is the worst in the world so we must empty our reservoirs by spray water in the air in big cities and large urban areas.   (but the farmers can't plant)  Screw the farmers - city dweller must have cleaner air.

4 minutes ago, masvil said:

I'm barricated in my airconditioned room in Nimman area, but still can't breath well. Around 11 am we had AQI more then 500, now is progressively going down. I wonder if I'm going to face a cancer in the next few years. Sometimes I miss my <deleted> smoggy european hometown.

/sarcasm on

Perhaps this is a Thai Immigration conspiracy to rid the country of farang!!!

/sarcasm off

Archived