State of emergency urged as air pollution hits 'disastrous' levels in North

rooster59

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

They do not know what to do!

where is big Joke when we need him? 

He's busy with his gang chasing farrang from hotel to hotel and every Soi...no time or interest for air quality.

Glad I evacuated prior to it getting this bad, back when I realized the Thai government ain’t gonna do anything at all about this. It’s just a bunch of noisy farang bitching about it anyways and a few months from now it’ll be about something else, is what they’re thinking.

Ban all mushroom pickers and sellers of same with huge fines and rewards for dobbing in law breakers. I was amazed to learn the Chinese by anything they can get their hands on and it is tons. This variety only grows in burnt soil and comes with first rains. To poison a nation so a few can make money is deplorable. There is a heap of corruption among government agencies that keep this practice alive. It is forest burning rather than just rice and cane burning as the major culprits here.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

"Smoked" mushrooms grow in the fields where burning has occurred and the farmers sell these for profit .

Although these are probably just a by product of the burning , rather thn the sole reason why they do it 

for those that dont know. like 99% of thais. Fires dont result with more mushrooms, its just easier to find them. scientific studies have recently proved this. same goes for generating new bamboo babies which is another reason for the fires but it does nothing. the only things fire helps is some beetles that dont exist here procreate near fires and pine cones germinate which doesnt help here any... The other reason for burnig is to clear paths for logging.

No officials do anything. However finaly after years of complaining the local mayor has agreed to stop charcoal pots around our house. he didn't like the news article printed about him. Taken 4.5yrs...

All the farmers that burn need their head spounded in. Im a farmer and dont need to burn anything. All our neighbours are out today burning theire fields with no cares. All the surrounding hills are alight with only some firetrucks out and about but certainly not my area in kanchanaburi.

Just now, unamazedloso said:

for those that dont know. like 99% of thais. Fires dont result with more mushrooms, its just easier to find them. scientific studies have recently proved this. same goes for generating new bamboo babies which is another reason for the fires but it does nothing. the only things fire helps is some beetles that dont exist here procreate near fires and pine cones germinate which doesnt help here any... The other reason for burnig is to clear paths for logging.

No officials do anything. However finaly after years of complaining the local mayor has agreed to stop charcoal pots around our house. he didn't like the news article printed about him. Taken 4.5yrs...

All the farmers that burn need their head spounded in. Im a farmer and dont need to burn anything. All our neighbours are out today burning theire fields with no cares. All the surrounding hills are alight with only some firetrucks out and about but certainly not my area in kanchanaburi.

You speak the truth.

Thai farmers and villagers burning their little hearts out.

Filthy place.

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

What's the big deal here?  Not the first time this happened.  The poor air quality is the result of thais long standing attitude since this "action" began. If Thai people cared they would do something.  They don't care!  Period!  

So if you all are so worried, start a Go Fund.  Maybe BJ will notice your kindness and go easy on your next Visa renew... make it easier to open a bank account the first time...heck, maybe BJ will throw in a free Elite visa...

this is the Thai way

They have no regard for their children or older citizens who suffer the most.  The massive army population with nothing much else to do could be set up as enforcers during this time of year. The trouble is it would take somebody with an ounce of usefulness to coordinate this.

As responsible falangs we should warn other potential visitors via the web review sites (Trip advisor etc) to avoid the north of Thailand from February to April due to this dangerous situation...

2 hours ago, davidstipek said:

THAILAND>>>> You have the means and Power to stops this ASAP!!! Read on, do something or you are as guilty as the Offenders!! 

Use your Cloud seeding capabilities to wash the sky's at the boarder.Then Countries who are committing this breach should be "Fined" same as Offenders here in Thailand!!

Only way to stop it and address the issue "Head On"!! Large Fines, I mean really Large!! also get courts to force offending parties to pay medical costs to help those who have really been affected!!

I am fed up of the misinformation about neighbouring countries and so on. The Thais themselves are causing this tragedy. Even the Government is burning. YES!!!! Drive along any country road and you will see kilometre after kilometre of roadside verges burnt or burning. It's the local Government that does this and when they do so they burn all the plastics and other rubbish throwing huge levels of dangerous toxins into the air. Mind you a couple of weeks beforehand they erect signs that say 'NO BURNING' and then they burn the signs whilst burning the verges. Nutcases.

Then look at facilities such as the sports stadium. All year around they are burning their rubbish (and plastic) with the dangerous toxins released straight into the air. No scrubbers in their stacks. And they use wood as the fuel which cannot create enough hear to destroy the toxins. And this smoke billows across the sports facilities and a local school. Mad and dangerous! What's wrong with the people who authorise this environmental terrorism.

Then just go along any country road with villages. People from temples and residential homes sweeping up piles after piles of leaves and burning those. In a two kilometre stretch last week I saw 5 such fires. It all contributes.

Then from my home in Chiang Mai (Mae Hia) I can see the smoke billowing up from behind Doi Kham and Doi Suthep (etc). My goodness are you claiming these fires are in another country? NO. They are right here in Thailand.

Why can't these people do something about this?

What's the big deal here?  Not the first time this happened.  The poor air quality is the result of thais long standing attitude since this "action" began. If Thai people cared they would do something.  They don't care!  Period!  

So if you all are so worried, start a Go Fund.  Maybe BJ will notice your kindness and go easy on your next Visa renew... make it easier to open a bank account the first time...heck, maybe BJ will throw in a free Elite visa...

this is the Thai way

It'll be business as usual because to address a problem they have to recognize they have a problem and no way do the powers that be want to spook tourists coming for Songran.

Secondly, special interest groups, large (industry, transportation) and small (local farmers) have sway over the central government. It seems Thais have to foresight whatsoever except when it comes to tourist baht.

4 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:

It'll be business as usual because to address a problem they have to recognize they have a problem and no way do the powers that be want to spook tourists coming for Songran.

Secondly, special interest groups, large (industry, transportation) and small (local farmers) have sway over the central government. It seems Thais have to foresight whatsoever except when it comes to tourist baht.

not great at thinking ahead.  just tried to get some replacement filters for my air purifier.  out of stock.

If Thai people cared they would do something.  They don't care!  Period!  

You make a good point here, they don't care do they! lack of "intestinal fortitude" or just too scared to say anything, or just no comprehension? ????

I live east of Tha Ton in the Mae Kok valley surrounded by hills. Today is the worst I've seen in 32 years. Not local, not moving, not a few fires. The whole area is a blanket of smog far worse than the picture of C Mai city. We have no industry, little traffic and almost no construction so you can write those off. Most of my district is orange and mango orchards and they dont burn, so who is it and where? The Burma border is 10kms away and they usually get the blame. By midday there had been no sun, by 3pm it was dusk. Horrendous stuff, like some tragic movie.

15 minutes ago, ianf said:

I am fed up of the misinformation about neighbouring countries and so on. The Thais themselves are causing this tragedy. Even the Government is burning. YES!!!! Drive along any country road and you will see kilometre after kilometre of roadside verges burnt or burning. It's the local Government that does this and when they do so they burn all the plastics and other rubbish throwing huge levels of dangerous toxins into the air. Mind you a couple of weeks beforehand they erect signs that say 'NO BURNING' and then they burn the signs whilst burning the verges. Nutcases.

Then look at facilities such as the sports stadium. All year around they are burning their rubbish (and plastic) with the dangerous toxins released straight into the air. No scrubbers in their stacks. And they use wood as the fuel which cannot create enough hear to destroy the toxins. And this smoke billows across the sports facilities and a local school. Mad and dangerous! What's wrong with the people who authorise this environmental terrorism.

Then just go along any country road with villages. People from temples and residential homes sweeping up piles after piles of leaves and burning those. In a two kilometre stretch last week I saw 5 such fires. It all contributes.

Then from my home in Chiang Mai (Mae Hia) I can see the smoke billowing up from behind Doi Kham and Doi Suthep (etc). My goodness are you claiming these fires are in another country? NO. They are right here in Thailand.

Why can't these people do something about this?

selfish

1 minute ago, Lungstib said:

I live east of Tha Ton in the Mae Kok valley surrounded by hills. Today is the worst I've seen in 32 years. Not local, not moving, not a few fires. The whole area is a blanket of smog far worse than the picture of C Mai city. We have no industry, little traffic and almost no construction so you can write those off. Most of my district is orange and mango orchards and they dont burn, so who is it and where? The Burma border is 10kms away and they usually get the blame. By midday there had been no sun, by 3pm it was dusk. Horrendous stuff, like some tragic movie.

It's enough to put you off smoking

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

"Smoked" mushrooms grow in the fields where burning has occurred and the farmers sell these for profit .

Although these are probably just a by product of the burning , rather thn the sole reason why they do it 

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Good post, but, no, not a by-product. The locals are burning the dry leaves and undergrowth to make the mushrooms easier to find. The Chinese are paying top dollar for the mushrooms, so blame it on the burgeoning purchasing power of the Chinese. Burning of rice stubble is minor, as rice is growing now where irrigation is available, which is most of the Chiang Mai valley.

I'm just wondering how the PM 2.5 being breathed in currently by the North compares with smoking one or two packs of cigarettes a day.

I don't usually enjoy rain, but it can't come too soon.

1 hour ago, connda said:

/sarcasm on

Perhaps this is a Thai Immigration conspiracy to rid the country of farang!!!

/sarcasm off

You really are giving TI a lot of credit for intelligence.

Archived