State of emergency urged as air pollution hits 'disastrous' levels in North

rooster59

All words from the government- no real action. Amazing this is too difficult for them ( authorities) to enforce. I suppose the locals just laugh about it just as they do with littering or driving recklessly in their motorcycles 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, scorecard said:

In recent years we've seen quick and fairly well organized action with good results by the army in flood and other situations, where are they now?

Utterly disgraceful.

Don't you know that they are clinging on to power fighting an election protecting their wallets. Can't be wasting trivial time on northerners. 

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

In recent years we've seen quick and fairly well organized action with good results by the army in flood and other situations, where are they now?

Cooking the post election books.... wait for Songkran to help with water being thrown around.

Expats would better accept the catastrophic pollution as a fact of life.  

All the bitching and moaning won’t make the slightest of difference. In Thailand, things never getter better: the smoke used to kick off at the beginning of March; now in February; in a few years, it’ll spill into January, with higher concentrations of position as we witness this year. 

** If you can’t afford evacuating for 3 months, move away all together lest cancer or a heart failure is your lot. Reside in the south, a different country or go back home.

** Don't buy or build. You’ll only see partial use at best, and face hard time selling. 

A poster here gave me a brilliant idea how to stop this once and for all.

10% off Thai Elite Visa with the purchase of a new condo in Chiang Mai in the amount of 5 million baht and up.

nothing will be done about this, ever.

not unless the West step up and do something to make the Thais sort this out.

I have moved further south and will not return to the north.

its a shame, because i love the scenery up there.

but health comes first.

if it deteriorates more in areas i live here, i will return to Spain, to Andalucia, one of the healthiest places to live on earth.

i think its disgusting what they do here.

not just smoke, but vehicle fumes as well

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

My family including 3 small kids have already fled, they're lucky they have options.

And still no substantive action by the local governor or other local officials and nothing substantive from the PM or national officials.

Utterly disgraceful.

I wonder what Khun Thanathorn, the FF leader would have already done if he was in the PM seat, and i'm confident he would have taken serious and substantial action.  

ha ha you think any official cares as long as they are in airconditioned massage venues?

28 minutes ago, Pravda said:

A poster here gave me a brilliant idea how to stop this once and for all.

10% off Thai Elite Visa with the purchase of a new condo in Chiang Mai in the amount of 5 million baht and up.

i would not accept a thai elite visa for free if i was restricted to live there

9 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

nothing will be done about this, ever.

not unless the West step up and do something to make the Thais sort this out.

I have moved further south and will not return to the north.

its a shame, because i love the scenery up there.

but health comes first.

if it deteriorates more in areas i live here, i will return to Spain, to Andalucia, one of the healthiest places to live on earth.

i think its disgusting what they do here.

not just smoke, but vehicle fumes as well

Why should this be an issue for the 'West'?

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

A question to CM expats. If it is that bad why did a) you move there b) still remain there?

serious question

This is my last year. Probably moving to Spain.  

I stayed because I made good money and had high hopes that Thailand would fix, if even a little, some of the major issues it has such as pollution and road safety. But after being here for well over a decade I’ve realized that Thais don’t change. If anything, they are moving backwards. There’s honestly no hope for this place.

Add to that the never ending game of immigration roulette, Thailand simply isn’t a good choice for long term stay.  

11 minutes ago, dcnx said:

This is my last year. Probably moving to Spain.  

I stayed because I made good money and had high hopes that Thailand would fix, if even a little, some of the major issues it has such as pollution and road safety. But after being here for well over a decade I’ve realized that Thais don’t change. If anything, they are moving backwards. There’s honestly no hope for this place.

Add to that the never ending game of immigration roulette, Thailand simply isn’t a good choice for long term stay.  

Thank you for your honest response.

It would be good to hear from other people too.

It's the major problem that kept us from moving to the CM area.

With a kid in school you can't move away when it's bad.

Just checked airvisual now: 173 in CM & 61 in Pattaya.

No we gonna stay in Pattaya and only visit CM now and again.

When the rain comes, it will be forgotten like last year and the year before and ..........

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Thank you for your honest response.

It would be good to hear from other people too.

I live in CM because I love this place (off burn season). This year has however been the worst I ever tried regarding the smoke. Next years I will move away during the smoke season and if not improved within the next 3-4 years, I will move my family elsewhere. So good guess is we will not stay here for long.

The government should be ashamed. But I guess it is hard to fix stupid.

5 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

1. Anyone lighting a forest or field gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

2. Anyone in possession of those grim black mushrooms gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

3. Any burn forest or field must lie fallow for 10 years.

4. Anyone found growing crops on burnt land within a 10 year period gets 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

5. Any company, including all directors of the board, that utilize burnt land shall have their business assets seized to pay for harm caused, and all parties shall have their personal assets frozen for 10 years and 10 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

6. Any politician found receiving donations or accepting a lobbying appeal from a company, or representative of a company, which has been prosecuted and found guilty of any of parts 1 to 5, shall have their personal assets seized to pay for harm caused, and gets 20 years mandatory without appeal or parole.

Problem solved if someone up there only had the balls.

Food idea Adolf,  lock them all up.

Don't educate them,  just lock then up.

Nazi

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm just wondering how the PM 2.5 being breathed in currently by the North compares with smoking one or two packs of cigarettes a day.

I don't usually enjoy rain, but it can't come too soon.

My wife sent me a text today saying it's equal to smoking 18 cigarettes a day. The only source she cited was "CM doctors."

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

I always get a laff when a hiso expat tells me Thailand is a developing nation and not third world because they have Taco Bell and nice shopping malls.

'Taco Bell', where is that? 

7 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

My wife sent me a text today saying it's equal to smoking 18 cigarettes a day. The only source she cited was "CM doctors."

Odd that they should come up with 18- smoking is usually expressed as 1 pack, 2 pack, etc.  Given that these are presumably the same scientists that reckon vaping is dangerous, I don't think you can listen to a blind word they say.

Archived