Explainer: Here’s what is required by Chonburi immigration for TM30 and retirement extensions

rooster59

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As I've been doing for over 10 years. I transfer in the new money to TOP UP from abroad annually.

So just bring the money over to live on as and when needed and leave the 800/400k in the bank to comply with the new rules instead of using that to live on.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

So just bring the money over to live on as and when needed and leave the 800/400k in the bank to comply with the new rules instead of using that to live on.

You don't get it.
There was never a post seasoning requirement before.
Now there is.
Before we could spend as we wish all year until the next pre seasoning period.
Now we have two post seasoning periods.
We need to know the consequences of failing to comply.
Its a very reasonable request.
From immigration...crickets.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is extortion. So if a little date is wrong or a couple cents here and there your out. Forget your bank balance, cars, houses, family, etc. Thai gov will try and get it i guess. Lucky i still travel home yearly with family and border run instead of extending. I hate thailand and wish i never invested in a life here. atleast we go to my home country for a couple nice weeks a year and then its back to prison. Wish it were the other way around but made sone bad choices i guess....

Here is the bit I don't get. If you are using the 65k income method, just pop down to your Bank (online or whatever), and set up a standing order for 70k a month on the same date each month, or to be double safe, every 4 weeks (so you get 13 payments). Check the rate every few months if you want to do the equivalent in your local currency. If your pension comes direct that gets converted anyway, so no additional loss on FX (maybe a few quid if you have to pay transfer fees). Small price to be in the country of your choice I would say.

Job done, everyone happy and all those TV posters that moan about the exchange rate resulting in TB64,999 being transferred, or those who play the FX game to gain about 3d a month on their transfer will disappear into the ether, making this a nice nibble site to contribute to.

Just a thought.....(as he awaits the "shouldn't even be in Thailand, but I will moan that the world is unfair" brigade to respond.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think you're wrong and believe all these crack downs are caused by Thai officials innate hatred for white male foreigners

You don't think foreigners trying to stay here when they don't/can't comply with the rules are a problem, and it's all down to Thai racism?

Time for you to leave and go back home I think.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Foreigners staying in Thailand on an extension of stay are not required to submit a TM30 form each time they stay outside of the province. 

Completing the TM30 form once is enough for those on an extension of stay,

And how are we supposed to make this first and only TM30 when Jomtien refuses to do it for people on Retirement Extension ? :ermm:

I live in my condo and never made a TM30. I tried - twice - and got refused - twice - so I don't have a TM30 receipt in my passport as she says we must have... :mellow:

Is it already finalized, I thought the government here still not finalize yet.No matter what later will have different problems when you go to the immigration office. Because of those super, smart IO staff will be no clue about changes and even though the foreigners try to explain to them They’ll come up with some their own version of rules and regulations make more complex and the foreigners will be sick of it. They’ll revise again and again if there is a new government. So find some places that have less complicated immigration rules and regulations countries for retirement, settlement  or holiday destination. Here they all gonna rip you off maximum. Unless you are damn rich, you can help those who need especially poor kids.006D7F4A-AEB6-4668-A853-6345AA1DE32A.jpeg.ddd181f9ae121c0ae05335e16c4a269f.jpeg

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Doesn't this just repeat what was already known? Several questions left unanswered here, such as:

- How many months of income are acceptable in the first year of these new rules (2019) during which immigration pledged to show "leniency"? 

- How is the three months post seasoning checked and what are the penalties for not meeting it?

- How is it fair that the extension applicant could be held responsible and refused an extension in relation to their landlord's fine? (I've personally never even seen a TM30 slip in two decades of living in Bangkok).

I wish they'd send in someone with a bit more nous when interviewing senior figures on important matters. The same thing happened a few months ago regarding income letters, with this radio station somehow putting lipstick on the swine and telling everyone that cancellation of the letters was in fact good news. It's as though the expat community is being represented by Smashie and Nicey. 

Nicey in action.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You don't get it.
Now there is.  //

No post seasoning. They never talked about cancelling after 90 days.

Before there was a 3 months pre-seasoning to renew extension,

now there is a 12 month pre-seasoning. :mellow:

Can any one clarify?

I have two pension incomes.

One a British State pension. One an off shore pension. My State pension is paid to me into my U.K. bank weekly and transferred to my Thai Bank Monthly. My off shore pension is transferred directly to my Thai Bank directly every 3 months.( 4x/ year ). On its own my monthly transfer of my State pension does NOT meet the requirements of a retirement extension. However when the total 12 payments are added to the 4 quartly payments from the transfer of my off shore pension and this figure is devided by 12, I more than need  meet the requirement for an extension.  In Short I receive into my Thai bank every year more than 800,000 Baht. Is this acceptably?

PS. There is no way I can change the payment frequency of the Off shore pension to monthly.

I raised the issue of TM30 not being required by Jomptien for those on retirement extensions on at least two occasions.  The answer was the same - not needed.  I have never submitted a TM30 - in fact, I tried but they would not accept it.  I was told, 'You have been registered on out database for x years and you do 90-day reports.  Why would we need a TM30 from you>'

Still expecting to get fined at some stage though as Jomptien is no different from any other office in that you can be told something by one officer and something entirely the opposite by another.  TiT after all!

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

To be clear:

does "they do not need to submit a TM30 form each time they return from a trip outside the province. " also apply to returning (to the same address) after a trip outside the country? The OP does not specify that.

My most recent experience at Jomtien was after a return from Hong Kong on a 90 day "bounce".
I had had trouble before at Jomtien because the people I was renting from never filed.
No problem for a couple of years, but one day, dutifully doing my 90 day report, "Oh, there is problem. You must see supervisor".
"Supervisor" in the back office explained that it would require 16,000 baht to make the residency problem go away, but I still would need to get owner's ID, house book, etc.
I have been exiting the kingdom every 90 days ever since.
Got caught up on the TM 30 bit one time last year, and a woman in the condo Juristic office dummied something up for me and hand carried it through... the actual owner lives in Germany, and is not available for anything.
Last time I went up after return to avoid any repeat, and the pleasant young woman at the front desk who checks your paperwork did the whole thing for me, only requiring 20 baht for copies. I was in and out before my wife returned from parking the car.

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You don't get it.
Now there is.
Before we could spend as we wish all year until the next pre seasoning period.
Now we have two post seasoning periods.
We need to know the consequences of failing to comply.
Its a very reasonable request.

I certainly do 'get it'.

For too long now people who didn't have 800k have been sticking two fingers up at (legal) people like you and use agents to illegally obtain a retirement visa. Immigration have tightened the rules in an attempt to stop/limit the illegal extensions.

In the same way, in the past I only had to show proof of my income but, because too many people lied on affidavits, I have to actually have to bring the money to Thailand.

We all have to modify the way we used to finance our lives in Thailand to an extent.

Given the problems that existed, the changes are not totally unreasonable. Comply with the new rules and you don't have a problem. You don't need to know what will happen if you break them.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think you're wrong and believe all these crack downs are caused by Thai officials innate hatred for white male foreigners.

Yeah, I know, Asia isn't a liberal/progressive nirvana.  Try being a black dude for a day.  Immigration isn't shy about profiling and rounding them.  Ironically, that often gets a rousing round of applause here on TVF.

All us poor white guys being unfairly victimized. LOL.  I'm sure it's a coincidence given most of us happen to be....white. 

Most agents in pattaya will tell you that anything put out by this radio station is a crock of <deleted>.

They make it up most of the time. 

My lady at Jomtien says.

Residency must be reported every time you have been away from your normal home.

Part of the current retirement  extension deal is no 90 day reporting. 

All done for you and 300 baht. 

You don't have to go. 

You don't need to do on line.

Did not have to use a bank book last time.

Obviously more than one set of rules in play here. 

But cash is king seems to be the best rule here.

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

"But if you have a foreign friend or family member staying with you overnight at your house or condo, you are required to notify immigration that the person is staying at your address and are subject to being fined if you don’t."

Would if friend staying with you is on retirement extension (they say those folks don't need to do a tm30, right?).

What is  classed  as "overnight"  let's   say they arrive at 00.01 am and leave at 0900am or  arrive at 23.59pm and leave at 00.15am????

10 minutes ago, howbri said:

What is the procedure for verifying monthly income into a Thai Bank? Bankbook? Letter from bank?

Monthly transfers into a Thai bank account with those transfers being shown as 'International Transfers' on the bank statement/bank book.

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

OK what happens if you ‘fail to comply’ or break a rule in any other walk of life

You mean like 1. feeding fish/picking mushrooms= go to jail pay big  fine get deported, 2. Run over policeman and kill  him =  "cant be found" 

It  really depends "who"  you are doesn't it.

10 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Of course it’s all thai racism, it is absurd to suggest these stress heads should manage their lives in a way thousands of others manage to do with no problems! 

I don't know any other country with such confusing laws that even the employees don't know how to enforce them.

8 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Residency must be reported every time you have been away from your normal home.

It's a  total waste of time anyone stating anything here because even at the same  offices  you  can get a different answer even on the same day. The  whole  thing is a big joke and I treat it and Thailand as  such, I simply  cannot take anything they say seriously.

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It doesn't seem to happen to many Chinese.

Wonder if it'll happen to Indians?

I don't spend time on Chinese social media, but I'll bet 5 Baht they have their moments about Thai Immigration as well.  I know I wouldn't want to be an I/O on duty when an A380 from China lands at Swampy.  Holy s**t, here they come! ????

Thais don't care for the Indians.  They probably gripe about Thai Immigration on their social media sites too. 

43 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I hope it turns out to be that simple because that's exactly what I've done. When I was here in February 2018 I opened a Thai bank account and deposited the necessary funds. And I plan on leaving those funds untouched until I either croak or decide to leave Thailand.

30 minutes ago, Pasadena said:

So when you back Thailand and you have non O visa you need to report to immigration you back or not? Only if you change adress?

This is exactly what is unclear. The interview discussed only people travelling within Thailand.

(And, of course it pertains only to Jomtien).

My IO (Prachinburi) definitely requires a TM30 after leaving the country and returning and I get the sense it is going to be enforced more strictly as last week when I stopped by to get a reentry permit for my Cambodian staff to go home for Songkran they went out of their way to tell  me to be sure to do a TM30 when they return.

Its is a serious pain as between my household staff and myself (all of us going in and out a lot) I do around 15-20 TM30s a year. Each with voluminous attachments required. They are going to need a special warehouse for all the forms and photocopies testifying to residence at an address that hasn't changed in over 20 years/

"The applicant must also be able to show the income transferred into a Thai bank around the same time each month". 

That's a bit awkward if, as I do, get your Government pension paid in to your UK bank every 4 weeks i.e. every 4th Tuesday so the actual date during 2018 varied from the first of the month (May) to the twenty sixth of the month (June), but I suppose I could make arrangements to have the amount transferred to my Thai bank account "around the same time" each month.

And if my annual extension is due in say, September, how can I make arrangements for 12 months of transfers to be made by then?  

Archived