Is online teaching worth trying

Sounds good. You really know what you're doing...

Not really.  I'm a mediocre teacher ????  But it seems many of my online teaching colleagues are complete idiots ==> lazy, boring, unapproachable, late for classes etc etc.

I'm a popular teacher because I know how to make learning 'fun', and I'm reliable and can always be trusted by my employers to be on-time and well-prepared for each lesson.

As a former rocket-scientist, I understand the saying "It's not rocket science!"

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, as I just found out, DTAC 4g unlimited is 650 baht/month for 4 MB/sec speed up to 20 GB usage, then it drops down to 128 KB/sec for the rest of the month.  You can top up another 20 GB for 650 baht.

In practice, my 20 GB lasts about 10 days for online teaching - it's still cheap at 650 x 3 baht/month for the freedom of teaching from my new rented house by the Mekong river.. [emoji846]

So it turns out that " unlimited " isn't really unlimited after all if you need to pay for it again and again !

I was recently talking to a business professor from Colombia, he mentioned that on-line English tuition is now very popular in Latin America but in most counties there are no regulations and the overall value to students is from total rip off to 5 star value.

He mentioned there are on-line schools which prepare excellent materials and teachers have to pass various tests, and the company rents out the required software / apps etc. Company streams the students into 4 or 5 levels. 

He then shared that he teaches a small class (I think he said 5 students) from 6.00 pm to 7.30 pm 6 evenings per week, students are located in several Sth. American countries. The current learning point is across the bottom of the screen and consistent with the student books and workbooks, all the students are on screen all the time (full body, but in many physical locations / countries) and the teacher is also on screen all the time. Easy to get the students to interact with each other, easy to repeat the words etc., to push for good pronunciation etc. He shared that the English capabilities of the students goes up fast. 

I just remembered another point, the professor mentioned that every class is monitored at least once during the 1.5 hr session by a professional teacher and lazy teachers are warned once, and repeat they are sacked.

I was recently talking to a business professor from Colombia, he mentioned that on-line English tuition is now very popular in Latin America but in most counties there are no regulations and the overall value to students is from total rip off to 5 star value.

He mentioned there are on-line schools which prepare excellent materials and teachers have to pass various tests, and the company rents out the required software / apps etc. Company streams the students into 4 or 5 levels. 

He then shared that he teaches a small class (I think he said 5 students) from 6.00 pm to 7.30 pm 6 evenings per week, students are located in several Sth. American countries. The current learning point is across the bottom of the screen and consistent with the student books and workbooks, all the students are on screen all the time (full body, but in many physical locations / countries) and the teacher is also on screen all the time. Easy to get the students to interact with each other, easy to repeat the words etc., to push for good pronunciation etc. He shared that the English capabilities of the students goes up fast. 

Thank you very much.
That is fantastic. Wonderful!
That is exactly what I would love to be able to do
But please, I would be forever grateful to you if you could tell me how and who to contact.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

That's really low.

2 of my friends are doing it, they get around 750 baht an hour. They do around 25 hours a week though, and they're happy enough with their 80,000 baht a month without leaving their living room. 

Any of the packages available now would surely be enough. I think the lowest out there is around  30mps, and 100mps is around 700 baht per month. 

So any company names then?

Archived