Clothing featuring advertising for alcoholic beverages deemed illegal

webfact

I am old enough to remember when companies (beer, cars shops) had to pay people to advertise their name on shirts etc., Then I remember being on holiday in Spain when a bar owner asked me if I wanted a shirt with the bar's name on it. I was thinking am I going to get paid or free beer for wearing it...or at worst, maybe he was just giving it to me for free. I nearly fell out of my standing when he actually wanted me to Pay for it.

Ahh! ...the good old days, when people actually demanded to be paid to advertise people's products....now, it's the people who are paying for the privilege of advertising all sorts of pruducts for businesses...especially on trucks now...I see.

Oh! how the times have changed.

Fair dues though to those Advertising Agencies who have changed a culture around full circle, from people getting paid to advertise their products...to having the public pay Them...and in doing so....Look Cool.

When are people going to "cop on"?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh no... What will the Pattaya Bar Stool Elite wear on the 'A Go Go Airlines' flights if not a Chang Vest ?

A gawdy Songkran shirt Maybe :sorry: 

And next to be banned will be all the Camo shorts because they belittle the Army if being worn by a Farang.

1 minute ago, CliffH said:

I've heard that the government has had second thoughts about this, and the order is to be rescinded at 1200 Thai time.

yeahhhh nobody paid attention.... today it's APRIL 1st, happy FOOLS DAY 555

3 hours ago, harada said:

Breaking news: As of today it is compulsory for all vehicles in Thailand to be fitted with square wheels. 

Finaly a smooth ride on the road full of potholes.. with luck.

51 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

So a tourist comes to Thailand and packs a Budweiser shirt (which probably should be an offense since it is crap beer) and is walking around in the shirt and gets arrested. This is going to wonders for Thailand's image. This is the tactics that not even repressive regimes would use. 

Absolute stupidity. 

I prefer Bud. to any beer made here and I am a Brit.  Oh gawd what have I said .... The Brew Police are closing in , I can here the bell on the front going chang chang chang.

are they going to ban the printing on boxes that are delivered to stores too? hahaha

While at it, why not ban printing on cans too! oh don't forget no signage for all these companies in front of their office and factories too!

19 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And next to be banned will be all the Camo shorts because they belittle the Army if being worn by a Farang.

On this I have to refer you to a TV post from 11 years ago.

You will read that the thai government condemn military-style camo clothing and marks it as a taboo.

Rgds,

31 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I am old enough to remember when companies (beer, cars shops) had to pay people to advertise their name on shirts etc., Then I remember being on holiday in Spain when a bar owner asked me if I wanted a shirt with the bar's name on it. I was thinking am I going to get paid or free beer for wearing it...or at worst, maybe he was just giving it to me for free. I nearly fell out of my standing when he actually wanted me to Pay for it.

Ahh! ...the good old days, when people actually demanded to be paid to advertise people's products....now, it's the people who are paying for the privilege of advertising all sorts of pruducts for businesses...especially on trucks now...I see.

Oh! how the times have changed.

Fair dues though to those Advertising Agencies who have changed a culture around full circle, from people getting paid to advertise their products...to having the public pay Them...and in doing so....Look Cool.

When are people going to "cop on"?

Copped on years ago. 

2 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

The country is a joke now. It is like living on a military base.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Look forward to the Chiang girls stripped to their knickers in Big C today of all days????

That's probably what they do at night anyway so they might not notice much difference.... 

From a moderator's perspective I'm not sure which is more entertaining on these days. The ones who respond with howls of genuine indignation, or those that read through page after page of responses and then make posts mocking everyone else, believing that only they have caught on.

Well, we've unhidden all the posts to give the less credulous assurances that they were not alone.

It's been a fun morning around here, with a few laughs, and lots of wear and tear on the mouse.

Here's two other stories if you haven't seen them already:

I actually have a hard time to see this as an April fools joke... just read the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, especially section 32 and then you understand that this is really what the law says... the only part that can be a joke is how they interpret and enforce an already existing law (or not)!

And remember that not long ago there where people (Thai celebrities) posting pictures on Facebook from when they were out partying,  holding clearly recognizable bottles... they ended up in the Thai legal system!

image.png.00becee66c5465555d1c2b364774f852.png
image.png.82b124acdd7494e16065942a8e20326c.png

image.png.224e834e4ff85ac90a940a0df0b174f8.png

Archived