Half-million in Chiang Mai in desperate need of facemasks

webfact

Half-million in Chiang Mai in desperate need of facemasks

By The Nation

787e94d5bfd1c9cc09e4759d4bb9fc8b-sld.jpe

Chiang Mai, strangling in haze, continues to plea urgently for donations of N95-grade facemasks for 500,000 citizens as well as air-purifiers to establish “clean rooms” at 230 hospitals.

The chamber of commerce in neighbouring Mae Hong Son has made a similar appeal. It can be contacted at 053 612 999

f395c699cf1f4e05940fb97f308c7a40.jpeg

A source at the Chiang Mai provincial health office, which will distribute the facemasks, said 500,000 people considered at greatest risk from the pollution had been registered to receive masks. Only about 1,000 N95 facemasks remained in hand.

Chiang Mai Governor Supachai Iamsuwan issued a formal appeal for donations on Saturday. 

Donated masks and purifiers can be left at the health office or at the Government Complex on Chotana Road. 

In the clean rooms being set up at community and tambon health-promotion hospitals for pollution sufferers, air-filter sheets are inserted inside fan grills, a DIY approach that could be copied in private residences.

c3dcf1b4fd7b54019496d68ef6772ab0.jpeg

The source said donations of conventional air purifiers were also welcomed. 

The health office is monitoring the pollution via the Chiang Mai Air Quality Health Index (CMAQHI) Centre and DustBoy devices that gauge the situation in real time, which are installed at community hospitals.

Critical levels are promptly reported to the public, the source said.

The CMAQHI website (cmaqhi.org) at 9am on Sunday showed dangerously high levels of PM2.5 – airborne particulates 2.5 microns or less in diameter. 

150441996a093e099b35221425392155.jpeg

Tambon Kud Chang in Mae Taeng district was at 492.57 micrograms per cubic metre of air, 10 times the safe limit recognised in Thailand, and an AQI of 496.

Tambon Ban Pong in Phrao district was at 425.63mcg and AQI 451, and Mae Taeng in Mae Taeng district 370.05mcg and AQI 414.

At the same hour on Sunday, the Pollution Control Department put the 24-hour PM2.5 average in nine northern provinces between 43 and 353mcg. 

e071b80f2a8436a321785a1eca5833d7.jpeg

Tambon Wiang Phang Kham in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district was at 353mcg, Wiang in Muang Chiang Rai 305, Jong Kham in Muang Mae Hong Son 245 and Ban Tom in Muang Phayao 243.

Chang Pheuk, Sri Phum and Suthep in Muang Chiang Mai were at 183, 172 and 98mcg respectively, while Chang Kerng in Mae Chaem was at 93mcg.

Pls donation at : 

0181b45fe1125f02cd5c15e90fc2f62d.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366860

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-01

No sympathy from me. The more everyone suffers now the more chance they change their forest, field stubble burning ways. Lighting fires is a choice, not a necessity. Pure selfishness. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai, strangling in haze, continues to plea urgently for donations of N95-grade facemasks for 500,000 citizens as well as air-purifiers to establish “clean rooms” at 230 hospitals.

Cause and effect .. The whole pollution issue is man made so is preventable yet they ask for donations to help deal with the effects .. If anyone should be supplying the masks for this it outta be the authorities who have failed to prevent the pollution .. 

I can sell them 500,000 for 50 million baht.  Supply/Demand.  If anyone needs one, I'm selling some super rare hospital face masks for 2000 each.  Can only sell 10 at a time.

I gotta get mine.....

It needs a serious rich kid to be burnt alive until something is happening. Maybe Prayut's imminent little excursion to Chiang Mai is severely interrupted by not being able to land due to the haze; all those governmental backside lickers would queue up ....... for nothing and could return to their coughingly pleasant homes. 

The government has tax payers money to burn (no pun intended) for three sub marines and other toys for the big kids in green; why not send up these sub marines to help the citizen of entire Northern and Northeastern Thailand. 

Wondering what all those soldiers and police (230'000 of them, I learnt) are doing to serve the people. The government is here to serve the people and not the other way round. 

I don't understand.  The government plainly stated that there is no emergency, so there is no problem, so obviously no face-masks are needed.  I completely trust the government - there must be some misunderstanding about the air quality which must be OK because there is no emergency - no problem at all.   

This is a problem that has an easy and cost effective fix, but demonstrates absolute abuse of power and lowest IQ behavior. And now people are pleading for N95 masks.  I have zero sympathy for idiotic behavior such as this.  This is akin to shooting yourself in the foot and complaining it hurts. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again, but expecting a different result.   

I can sell them 500,000 for 50 million baht.  Supply/Demand.  If anyone needs one, I'm selling some super rare hospital face masks for 2000 each.  Can only sell 10 at a time.

I gotta get mine.....

I can sell them 500,000 masks for 50 million too. Then I’ll deliver 250,000 substandard masks that cost me a fraction of the price and I’ll split the difference with whoever was responsible for authorizing payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Another example of the hapless junta not caring one iota for the national well being. These masks could have been ordered months ago and should be supplied free of charge, out of shame for not being able to do a single thing to limit the burning, the mass proliferation of diesel vehicles that are being phased out worldwide and the coal and diesel burning power plants. They have done nothing. Less than zero. They are barely enforcing any standards towards the diesel vehicles already on the road that are not being maintained. Nearly all the blame rests on the very small shoulders of Prayuth and his incompetent army. 

7 hours ago, Ulic said:

No sympathy from me. The more everyone suffers now the more chance they change their forest, field stubble burning ways. Lighting fires is a choice, not a necessity. Pure selfishness. 

True. But when it is far easier and cheaper than the alternative and you have an administration that is all talk, and no action, there is no deterrent. These farmers should be given a choice. Stop burning or lose your farm. But since the cane industry has lobbyists and few government officials anywhere can say no to a lobbyists and his gifts, the nonsense continues. Long ago the government should have seen this coming and encouraged alternative crops. There is enough sugar in the world. 

Then add in poorly maintained diesel vehicles, that the "authorities" are doing nothing about and diesel and coal fired power plants and you have a perfect storm, due to a horrendous lack of planning, and staggering indifference. And these hapless incompetents want five more years?

Out with the army! Prayuth get out! You do not deserve our respect nor our support. 

12 hours ago, connda said:

I don't understand.  The government plainly stated that there is no emergency, so there is no problem, so obviously no face-masks are needed.  I completely trust the government - there must be some misunderstanding about the air quality which must be OK because there is no emergency - no problem at all.   

Yes, it's foreigners spreading fake news to try to discredit the military government. Everyone knows the government generously returned happiness to the people and Thais will be forever gratefull to live under such benevolent leaders.

So to prevent any misinformation from these fake news stories, further internet censorship will be required. 

As the government officials, currently in power, just finished their visit to Chiang Mai and promised to get done whatever it takes, I would think coming up with an emergency supply of masks would be a show of good faith AND their duty.  I know, I think too much!

Archived