Thai media warns condo owners - face a 2,000 baht fine if you fail to report a guest

webfact

3 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

My friends from Europe will be visiting this coming December. Can't be bothered to report my guests, I'll take the risk. 

Quite right, just show them your middle finger.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They probably are (have done?) already.

I know u playing devils advocate here but why are they only so obsessed with the continious whereabouts of foreigners? If u look at the jail cell population here are they full with foreigners just like they are in my home country or are they here full mostly with locals? I sure it’s mostly locals here in jails so why locals dont need to do notifications?

Is transatlantic crime really bigger then local crime in Thailand? If i read the newspaper that’s not mine impression 

I am trying to imagine this, so a document needs to come in and be stored for every single tourist who stays, and from every establishment, home or condo they stay in? 

I am just trying to imagine that stack of documents each year, and if it will even be possible to store and sort it effectively. Or is all the reporting electeonic?

It is relatively low key here in Chiang Rai. I returned home last week, and went into Immigration to submit a TM30. The girl at the question ticket desk took my passport, looked at the receipt from last time, ran off an updated one and I was out a couple of minutes later.

Yes, they have my name in the computer as living at this address, but no one has ever checked or bothered me. It is like having your name on the electoral register in the UK, except here they don't sell the information to any other Tom, Dick or Harry who wants to know where you live.

I think you just have to accept that the beaurocracy here loves their records; they are an end in themselves, they don't really use them for anything else.

I don't think it is unreasonable that immigration should know where foreigners are living. The rest of the "Operation X-ray"business is just hype for one individual's profile - it hasn't really achieved anything. With the exception of him, his immediate mates, and the firms that make those giant vinyl posters, no-one else really takes any notice.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Great so immigration is going door by door interviewing interogating anyone that opens their door? Dont they need warants for disturbing randomly people?

lets say u have a tenant with a year contract first day u report him at immigration than 3 months later he travels abroad for 2 weeks once he returns he doesnt report back in with immigration and then immigration rings his door bell and check him out  then they will fine the condo owner for that??

How is a condo owner responsible for that? Its utterly ridiculous.

The full name of the TM30 document is

"Notification Form for House Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Aliens have stayed"

Once you stay long term, sign a lease etc, you are the possessor of the property and responsible to report yourself and guests etc

9 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I am trying to imagine this, so a document needs to come in and be stored for every single tourist who stays, and from every establishment, home or condo they stay in? 

I am just trying to imagine that stack of documents each year, and if it will even be possible to store and sort it effectively. Or is all the reporting electeonic?

Hotels and guest-houses report electronically. Some immigration offices are introducing online for private houses etc.

But still a few acres of trees each day.

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The full name of the TM30 document is

"Notification Form for House Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Aliens have stayed"

Once you stay long term, sign a lease etc, you are the possessor of the property and responsible to report yourself and guests etc

Hmmmm but the thread topic headline formulates it differently.

Are these people aware of the fact, that the internet is accessible worldwide?

Do they have the faintest idea, that all this communicated either that Thailand is the ultimate haven for crooks and criminals or that the people at the helm of certain government agencies went claustrophobically mad in their inferiority complex when facing alien? 

Being familiar with some of the Thai logic I assume that the fines of house owners accommodating aliens will be different to the condominium owners .....

30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They probably are (have done?) already.

Most all in-laws are oblivious to this law of housing a foreigner. So no they have not and will never do so. Geeze. Here's and idea. I could call the immigration myself, work out a deal, have them come to the house and then fine the in-laws the money and split it with them 60/40. . 

8 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

฿2,000 rolls off the tongue easier and no change required.

Published: Condo owners on the hook for 2000 THB fine for not reporting foreigners.
Reality: Condo owner charges foreigner 2000 THB immigration fine that if is not paid will result in immigration refusing to extend the foreigner's next extension until the foreigner pays the fine to the immigration office personally. 

So, what do ya'll think is most probably?  The former or the latter? 

5 hours ago, mike787 said:

This anti farrang is an all out war.  It's like a nightmare that just get worse everyday, we are all treated like fugitives as soon as we step off the aircraft.  LOS is NO longer.  Start running and hiding.

It's not specifically anti-farang. It's anti-foreigner, and farang is small subset of that. Basically, the bad guys cause all the hassle to the good not quite so bad guys.

Yes it's racism, or xenophobia, or any of the other 'isms or 'phobias you care to name. Everyone in the world has these, it's bred/educated/beaten into us from an early age.

Except me and thee, of course.????????.

We have officially entered the Dark times.

I wonder how long will it take till we find it hard to rent an apartment, as the locals will not need the risk involved in dealing with a foreigner (some posters mentioned that its already happening with smaller establishments..).

I also feel for the poor rural families that will now put themselves at risk for inviting a foreigner to their house as reporting is not practical for many of them.

Dark times indeed.. ????

8 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Renting per month is still legal.

yes but if you are for 6 months back in your country, and the agency who rents out for you does not report the foreigner tenant...I've heard that the agency would be responsible, but knowing the bad faith of thai immigration, I'm nearly sure you, as owner will have to  finally pay the fine (with a "criminal record" in your history)

So how much does the officer that let's him in to Thailand have to pay and how much does big joke have to pay for not have control of the staff .

He is very important but not too clever .

I met a lot of Thais there are more likely to solve the problem so how did he get that job .

It seams like he let them in and want condo owners to catch them brilliant idea .

Maybe they should just do there job .But then they can't fine anyone.

Good work for a monkey 

10 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This is what you get with an authoritarian military junta. 

Hope the clueless foreigners that cheered them into power and are now finding themselves under the microscope are proud of themselves.

I have no problem with the military running to country . What's your problem. 

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Great so immigration is going door by door interviewing interogating anyone that opens their door? Dont they need warants for disturbing randomly people?

lets say u have a tenant with a year contract first day u report him at immigration than 3 months later he travels abroad for 2 weeks once he returns he doesnt report back in with immigration and then immigration rings his door bell and check him out  then they will fine the condo owner for that??

How is a condo owner responsible for that? Its utterly ridiculous.

it is even worst: I had my gf occupying my condo in Pattaya while I was a few months in Belgium. Without telling me, she harboured 2 iranian twins, friends of her for a few weeks, maybe 1 month. When I came back, I heard that immigration was looking for 1 of them (I still don't know the reason). After reporting myself (as it is now required every time you come back in your own condo from abroad..!), I presented myself as the owner and told them about immigration waiting 3 days before I arrived in front of my door to look for this iranian,I did it in order to avoid future problems (in Jomtien imm.) and was almost treated like a criminal although I was not aware of what my (ex-)gf did....I had to wait 2 hours for the chief of immigration, he threatened me..etc..It was already late on a fiday evening. On monday, I let some thai friend who speaks better English explain him that I had nothing to see, and that I came by myself honnestly to avoid eventual future problems ! The officer said that anyway, even if I was abroad and unaware, I had to come to pay a fine of 2000 baht and the case will be finished.(!!!!)

2 minutes ago, cedel said:

it is even worst: I had my gf occupying my condo in Pattaya while I was a few months in Belgium. Without telling me, she harboured 2 iranian twins, friends of her for a few weeks, maybe 1 month. When I came back, I heard that immigration was looking for 1 of them (I still don't know the reason). After reporting myself (as it is now required every time you come back in your own condo from abroad..!), I presented myself as the owner and told them about immigration waiting 3 days before I arrived in front of my door to look for this iranian,I did it in order to avoid future problems (in Jomtien imm.) and was almost treated like a criminal although I was not aware of what my (ex-)gf did....I had to wait 2 hours for the chief of immigration, he threatened me..etc..It was already late on a fiday evening. On monday, I let some thai friend who speaks better English explain him that I had nothing to see, and that I came by myself honnestly to avoid eventual future problems ! The officer said that anyway, even if I was abroad and unaware, I had to come to pay a fine of 2000 baht and the case will be finished.(!!!!)

What was ur Thai gf doing with the Iranians twins in ur condo?

i would worry about that first????

54 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

You are a hero ????

The word guests thaivisa have used in the headlines is incorrect,the word should have been tenants. No need to report your friend  who has come to stay with you. 

1 hour ago, LongTang said:

I wonder how long will it take till we find it hard to rent an apartment, as the locals will not need the risk involved in dealing with a foreigner (some posters mentioned that its already happening with smaller establishments..).

About 3 years ago, an antipodean friend of mine had a 2-bedroom villa in a small villa outside Pattaya on a long-term rental to a really nice, young Russian family. The tenant went to file his perfectly legal extension of stay whereupon his landlord (my friends Thai wife) was summonsed to Jomtien immigration, berated for not reporting a foreigner staying in her property and fined 2000 baht. At the expiration of the Russian's lease, she subsequently re-listed the rental for Thai occupancy only.

She's been married for maybe 17 years and even lived in her husband's country on several occasions. She doesn't hate farangs but she wasn't about to put up with the hassle her own government deals out if renting a home to one.

1 hour ago, cedel said:

He's right. So you expect a free pass for your poor judgement about your (now ex) girlfriend?

When I were a lad, the rental girlfriend left the building when I left the country and only came back when I was good and ready. My long-suffering mae bahn for one really appreciated this singular act of level-headedness by an otherwise drunk, mongering, two-week millionaire.

Archived