Thai media warns condo owners - face a 2,000 baht fine if you fail to report a guest

webfact

It's win win.  It looks like they're fighting crime by increasing the fines and they'll get more money from law-abiding citizens who forget do register or make a mistake.  Only problem is, this law doesn't cut down on crime because criminals, like the one featured in the article, don't register.  But other than that it's a good plan.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jadam said:

It's win win.  It looks like they're fighting crime by increasing the fines and they'll get more money from law-abiding citizens who forget do register or make a mistake.  Only problem is, this law doesn't cut down on crime because criminals, like the one featured in the article, don't register.  But other than that it's a good plan.

I'm betting the end result is that Thai's will stop renting to foreigners, not worth the hassle?

They'd have a much better chance of compliance if they made it possible for condo owners and house renters (i.e. private citizens, not businesses) to report online as hotels already do.

As long as this entails an in-person trip to immigration, landlords will consider it worth the risk of a fine.

"he less well developed the country, the more paperwork, and the less computers."

Not sure I agree with that ! I have a resident retirement visa in the Philippines and in six years of RESIDENCY I have never once been to an immigration office. Furthermore, you can arrive here on a 30 day visa-free entry, keep extending every two months, upto 3 years, when you leavefor a day and then start the process again. Philippines is certainly a less well developed place than Thailand I reckon. 

The hapless junta continues on its crusade against foreigners. What percentage of foreigners staying in Thai condos do you suppose are criminals? This is supposed to be part of the fight against transnational crime? Does the term incompetent come to mind? Does the term denial come to mind? What, not enough home grown crime to fight?

The Thai people need to figure out a way to get the army out of their lives. These guys are doing nothing to improve the nation, sabotaging the economy and decimating what was left of Western tourism and the ex-pat community, which brought significant benefits to the nation. 

Go Prayuth go. Get out now. 

14 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This is what you get with an authoritarian military junta. 

Hope the clueless foreigners that cheered them into power and are now finding themselves under the microscope are proud of themselves.

This is the _law_ since 30 or 40 years, probably longer. Stupid ... <- insert your word here.

41 minutes ago, Showtime said:

It sounds to me like the Thais were taught this by the authoritarian government of China which requires same day reporting of those pesky foreigners for hotels, Airbnb, private residences, etc.

Thailand is China in many ways when it comes to rules and legislation's. It's Thai-Chinese that govern the country. If it was pure Thai that governed the country then we wouldn't have the challenging property ownership rules which is copied from the Chinese communist system....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_property_law

Never go full Nazi. 

Unless you're Thailand. In which case full Nazi and the tourists keep coming. Even the Thais love the military running the country like a gulag.

Can't trust anyone. Spy on your neighbours. Is that a foreigner I see? Did they report them? 

That this is happening in the 21st century, supposedly in times of peace. It's turning people against each other. Ridiculuous.

But the sexpats and sex tourists love it.

7 hours ago, ocddave said:

I'm betting the end result is that Thai's will stop renting to foreigners, not worth the hassle?

There  aren't  that  many left to rent to anymore, with the visa  tightening amongst other things that market has  all  but  gone over the last few  years.

22 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

There  aren't  that  many left to rent to anymore, with the visa  tightening amongst other things that market has  all  but  gone over the last few  years.

Its estimated +2,2m legal and illegal migrants including 500k-1m expatriates in Thailand on the top of +30m tourists so the market demand is still there regardless of the visa regulations ...

7 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Its estimated +2,2m legal and illegal migrants including expatriates in Thailand on the top of +30m tourists so the market demand is still there regardless of the visa regulations ...

Ok let me  rephrase it, Euorpean/American etc

Tourists cannot  rent condos  short  term so that's 30m less instantly in your calculation.

8 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Ok let me  rephrase it, Euorpean/American etc

Tourists cannot  rent condos  short  term so that's 30m less instantly in your calculation.

Not quite - of the +30m categorized as tourists there are a considerable number who work part time overseas on a rotational basis who also rent on the top of all the tourists who rent short term both through Airbnb and private despite the short term rules... :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Hope the clueless foreigners that cheered them into power and are now finding themselves under the microscope are proud of themselves.

The military junta was only cheered on by wealthy foreigners. An authoritarian regime  is highly advantageous to those that already have money. Wealthy foreigners do not live in areas that are inspected by the Thai authorities. The Thai police would never dare to raid the areas where the rich live. So, mmm no, none of us are under the microscope. More raids is, in fact, exactly what we wanted and have been pushing for. We’re trying to clean up Thailand and force the riff-raff out. You would be surprised to discover the people that are “actually” pulling the strings in Thailand. Definitely not who you would think. Definitely not the Thais.

Even everyone here can express their feelings, frustration, and ideas. Do you think these smart arse will look into it? I don't think so because all these are instructed by someone who in power there so those IO staff just need to follow whatever has been told and take advantage of the innocent foreigners. They don't want you to be here but at the same time, they want your money. So the best way is just leave and once back home promote to others not to come here. I think there are many places in the world that still can be explored. We humans are more powerful than the leaders. I can’t imagine that what would will be like in the future. Life is very short, enjoy it without torture yourself.

7F8EE505-8400-47AE-B0B8-062F2A6860F6.jpeg

42 minutes ago, ttrd said:

... and many do ... :thumbsup:

The  bulk of Euro American renters  is  gone. Can go round in circles  all day with this but they simply arent there. There used to be many who would come here as "teachers" but a lot of that was knocked on the head with the requirement for a degree a  few years ago.

21 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Reporting by guest houses and hotels has been on like forever. Long before the Junta/Taksin. The difference might be that up until about 15-20 years ago the number of foreigners in Thailand was much lower and most if not all those who rented condos or houses were on long stay extensions and not on tourist visas, so controlling private owners' reports was not an issue as it is now.   

19 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Of course you do, because you are obsessed with Thaksin. Fair enough, Thaksin didn't much care for foreigners either, but we can clearly see the nationalist, anti-foreigner rhetoric spouted by this incompetent regime on an almost daily basis.

Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner. Gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling of welcome, doesn't it?

Of course it is political, Big Joke, now head of immigration, is backed by his mate General Prawit, and is so obviously being groomed for a higher office in the future.

Junta is military, immigration is police. Different branches and not best of friends.... Just as a reminder - Taksin was backed by the police and opposed by the military....

Archived