Russian arrested on Koh Samui for allegedly stealing camera

webfact

Russian arrested on Koh Samui for allegedly stealing camera

By The Nation

sam.jpg

Picture: Facebook//nongbreathless

A Russian man was arrested on Koh Samui in Surat Thani on Sunday for allegedly stealing a digital camera and unlawfully entering the kingdom.

Police from Borphud station arrested Kiirti Svami, 31, after an upmarket digital camera shop inside a shopping mall on the island spotted him returning to the shop.

A Sony digital camera valued at Bt99,990 was stolen from the shop on March 22 and the staff noticed that Svami bore a strong resemblance to the suspect caught on a security camera stealing the device.

When police arrived at the shop, the Russian tried to walk away. Police asked him for his passport but he failed to produce it.

While police were taking him to the Borphud station, the suspect jumped into a lake and tried to swim away. Two policemen followed him into the water and dragged him back.

Svami admitted that he stole the camera from the shop but said he had already sold it to a Russian friend. He said he would tell his friend to return the camera.

He said he came to Thailand two moths ago.

The Russian also tested positive for drugs. He was charged with drug abuse, staying in the kingdom without visa and theft.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366905

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-01

related story:
Video: Foreigner steals camera worth nearly 100,000 from Samui shop

“... the suspect jumped into a lake and tried to swim away. Two policemen followed him into the water and dragged him back.

So that’s why he’s called Svami rathan than Swami.

If it was, as I presume Chaweng Lake, as it is just across the road from said camera shop in Central, and next to the police box, both him and the policeman might want to get checked out by a doctor. That water looks filthy.

8 hours ago, balo said:

When I heard about this story the first time I was thinking Russian.

And I was right. 

Russians are unfortunately quite rightly known to be involved in criminal activities in Thailand. 

Normal for a drug addict to try the same crime twice.  He's got a raft of charges against him.  I hope he enjoys his holiday in the Samui Hilton - right next to Samui's biggest embarrassment - 300,000 tonnes of rotting garbage - - - -

On 4/5/2019 at 11:26 PM, SamuiGeezer said:

How do so many 'Russians' manage to stay here long term without any connection to Thailand?

Maybe desperation? Most of the younger Russians you see here comes from the poorer parts of Eastern Russia.   They are not here on 1 year visas, so must be Tourist visas. And they repeat it as long as possible. 

Archived