Change mind day after signing rental contract

Hello,

This is a long shot but is there any sort of cooling-off period for rental contracts? For example, if you sign and pay one day and then the next day, before moving in, you change your mind. Do you have any chance or right to get some of your payment back? I'm quite sure it's a definite no but would love to be proved wrong :-). 

19 hours ago, MrBingley said:

is there any sort of cooling-off period for rental contracts?

Only if you wrote one into the contact specifically. You can put pretty much anything you want into a contract, as long as both parties agree and sign.

I’ve already learnt that. I even had no key in my hand. Deposite was for quick work and making that Particular unit livable in one week. 

The landlord was very impolite and no deposit back even the day after. 

Mine was not a big money though, ฿3000.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Once a Thai gets his/her hands on money, it is gone. 

That has not been my experience after being here for 13 years. Apart from banks, no person or place has kept any of my money and given back nothing in return.

9 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I’ve already learnt that. I even had no key in my hand. Deposite was for quick work and making that Particular unit livable in one week. 

The landlord was very impolite and no deposit back even the day after. 

Mine was not a big money though, ฿3000.

I hope you had a word with the motorbike taxi boys, you know what I mean.????

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have loaned money to numerous Thai people and always gotten it back with interest. 

Always...you need to buy lottery ticket your a very lucky man.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

Once a Thai gets his/her hands on money, it is gone. 

There are decent landlords out there. We got our money back after 5 months without asking for it. A friend left her rental after 2 months without a problem.

Yes, there are others too. Just state your case politely.

13 minutes ago, Caine said:

Money back ????????????????????

I have gotten money back from AIS, Lotus and Lazada - all promptly and with little fuss.  The second time I got money back from AIS was a bit of a chore but I'm good at writing letters so I usually win.  My wife always says the same as you and it's a challenge for me. 

2 hours ago, Caine said:

Getting your money back and Thailand should not be mentioned in the same paragraph. Have you ever had a tax rebate I’m 72 years old and I never have.

submitted my annual Thai personal tax Return for over 30 years:

- For about 15 of those years I knew that I would not get any refund.

- For about 15 years I got a refund, perhaps 1 to 2,000 Baht. 

You have not stated your "reason" for wanting to cancel. If you had a solid reason for cancelling you just might get your money back. Depends what kind of person the landlord is.

You might try something a Thai can relate to.... such as - my buffalo is sick.

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Always...you need to buy lottery ticket your a very lucky man.

regards Worgeordie

You are 100 percent wrong. I don’t care how long you have been here or what you do , your opinions of Thai people is much different from my opinion. Cheers but you comment many times a day and are wrong most times you comment. ????

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thai landlord......sorry I have spent it already.......same,same when you want your deposit back at end of contract.

regards Worgeordie

This is a quite different case, your comment is not relevant. 

Plenty of farang landlords would not agree to cancel the lease after signature in any country. A farang would typically say 'you signed a lease and nobody forced you in any way to sign the lease, totally your own decision, why should I even consider a refund?' 

In a case of proven sickness which meant the person had to quickly move to another city or something similar perhaps the landlord might give some leniency but even in such a case the landlord would be within his rights to say no. 

7 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You are 100 percent wrong. I don’t care how long you have been here or what you do , your opinions of Thai people is much different from my opinion. Cheers but you comment many times a day and are wrong most times you comment. ????

So Everyone that lends money to a Thai person,gets repaid,I and a lot

of other people would beg to differ,so that means you are 110% wrong.

regards Worgeordie

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So Everyone that lends money to a Thai person,gets repaid,I and a lot

of other people would beg to differ,so that means you are 110% wrong.

regards Worgeordie

Really depends on the social class you are engaging with . Would you lend a crack whore any money in your own country and expect it back ? If you hang out with dregs you end up dealing in dreg  behaviour unfortunately. Don’t ever lend anyone money . 

1 minute ago, chrisandsu said:

Really depends on the social class you are engaging with . Would you lend a crack whore any money in your own country and expect it back ? If you hang out with dregs you end up dealing in dreg  behaviour unfortunately. Don’t ever lend anyone money . 

You are quoting the bloody obvious,

regards worgeordie

1 minute ago, chrisandsu said:

So you understand that not every Thai belongs to the dregs of society ? 

That is also obvious,what is your point,even some wealthy Thais

don't pay back loans,its an equal opportunities situation,maybe you

don't understand that ?

regards Worgeordie

A potential room mate did this to me once.  I gave him the big bedroom and use of a garage in a golf course condo...for 400 per month...just to help with my mortgage.  Guy calls me on moving day, wants me to help him move...A physicians assistant...sometimes people like that are way too pushy.  He found another place across town, I just gave him deposit back, like 50 usd...but wished i had kept it..i think i took out for the ad.  Funny thing was, the following week, he underestimated how long to get to his office, and was nabbed doing 102 in a 55mph zone, and taken to jail.

I wish I had 20 THB for every time I saw someone on facebook looking for someone to take over the last 10 months or so of their lease...I would not rent to anyone without looking at their credit report..if you were a financial idiot, who didnt honor debts in the us..there is a good chance you will not honor them here.  And you got a dog?  bwahahaha.

16 hours ago, Caine said:

Getting your money back and Thailand should not be mentioned in the same paragraph. Have you ever had a tax rebate I’m 72 years old and I never have.

This OP is about a broken (by the tenant) rental contract, and a fatuous argument by some usual suspects that Thai landlords never return deposits.  It's not about tax rebates to pensioners.

Archived