How to say ''no fighting'' and ''nursery''.

johnray

Thailand has two institutions catering to children under the age when they attend elementary school. One, operated by local governments is called "ศูนย์พัฒนาเด็กเล็ก" (Child Development Centers). The second is "โรงเรียนอนุบาล" (Kindergarten school) or "ชั้นอนุบาล" (kindergarten grades) within traditional Thai elementary schools. Most schools have two levels of อนุบาล before the children enter first grade.

Here is a Thai discussion of the Child Development Centers:

... ให้มีความพร้อม ด้านร่างกาย อารมณ์ จิตใจ สังคมและสติปัญญา
[The objective] is to prepare these children physically, emotionally, psychologically, socially, and intellectually [for school].

ศูนย์พัฒนาเด็กเล็กตั้งกระจายอยู่ทั่วประเทศ
These centers are located all around the country.

ส่วนราชการต่าง ๆ ที่ดำเนินการจัดตั้งสถานพัฒนาเด็กปฐมวัย ได้แก่ กรมการพัฒนาชุมชน กระทรวงมหาดไทย กรมการศาสนา กระทรวงศึกษาธิการ (ปัจจุบันอยู่ในสังกัดกระทรวงวัฒนธรรม)
The government has created these child development centers under the Department of Community Development, the Ministry of Interior as well as under the Department of Education, the Ministry of Education. (Currently these centers are operated under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture.)

[http://jareeluk.blogspot.com/2015/02/blog-post.html]

Based on my research:

เตรียม อนุบาล - dtrium anuuban - prepare for school

phom sawn dek lek mai chai anuuban man dtrium anuuban. - i teach tiny babies not kindergarten

Nuursariii - The English word Nursery is also understood.

jai yen - chill out (seems to work well on kids)

yaa suu - don't fight

yaa dtii - don't hit

Nursery is not kindergarten.  It is before K1.  The kids cannot speak at all only a few words or baby sounds.

Hello johnray, I don’t want to confuse the issue but if เตรียมอนุบาล is to mean ‘preparing babies for infants school’ and there is nothing which I can see against that, then the word for baby เด็กทารก might be useful if you were to explain in Thai.

Having learned a lot of Thai One likes to think it unique but it is catching up with the West all the time and the language reflects this in its adoption of English concepts. Nursery is really a better word than Thai can come up with. ศูนย์พัฒนาเด็กปฐมวัย , ศูนย์ seems a little grand for a nursery school, I wonder if they are not more than schools. I can’t imagine neighbouring centres in a town.

Have you thought about เด็กเล็ก referring to size more than age?

เด็กปฐมวัย aged less than around 7 I think. ปฐมวัย can be read in English but it needs defining because it is back to front, and means อายุต้น starting age.

Maybe อบรม is a good word for what kids need at starting age, สอนพร่ำ teaching by repetition. รำ่ is also a good word because it conjures up ramming it in to them!

These are just a few words which you might like to research.

P.S. (ปัจฉิมลิขีต Just practising, I forgot how to write it in Thai. ปล.)

A friend ‘face timed’ me from Thailand so I asked about ศูนย์พัฒนาเด็กเล็ก which incidentally is what the suggestion ribbon on this site showed.

So ignore my เด็กเล็ก comment!

Apparently they are in every village and there are road signs for them, I have never noticed so shall look out for them in future.

I see now that David’s first post had สถานพัฒนาเด็กปฐมวัย, I wondered from where I had got that!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived