How cool does it get in CR?

Tom89

I'm in the process of packing to move to Phayao. I'm in Tokyo which does have a winter, so I have a number of sweaters and long sleeve shirts. How much of a need is there for clothes like that in the cool season? For those who teach, how often do you wear long sleeve shirts to work?

It depends on the year but there could be a few weeks where a sweater would feel good in the morning or evening.  This year Chiang Rai only hit the mid-teens so a long sleeve shirt was enough.  The year before it got down to single digits and I needed a jacket.  It is usually back up into the twenties by afternoon.

i live near Phayao. We live on the western side of the lake. I have lived here full time since 2011. The coldest it has been in that time was 9 C. That was a few years ago. Over the last few years I have had tracksuit bottoms on but only for a few hours in the morning. This last year has been a lot warmer. I am talking about from December to end of February.  The rest of the year it is very warm.

Which school will you be teaching at? Phayao does not have a large farang population but it is a friendly place. 

It really depends on the elevation. Cold season is longer and colder at 700 meters where we live. It's April and I still put on a hoodie in the morning. Most mornings in January and February temps are bordering or dropping into single digits.

12 hours ago, ripstanley said:

i live near Phayao. We live on the western side of the lake. I have lived here full time since 2011. The coldest it has been in that time was 9 C. That was a few years ago. Over the last few years I have had tracksuit bottoms on but only for a few hours in the morning. This last year has been a lot warmer. I am talking about from December to end of February.  The rest of the year it is very warm.

Which school will you be teaching at? Phayao does not have a large farang population but it is a friendly place. 

@ripstanley I currently don't have a teaching job lined up, but am thinking about it a few months down the road. For the time  being I got a place to the east of the highway, not far from Ram Hospital. Is there a pub where farang hang out? I've seen a few in trucks and on motorcycles but haven't met anybody yet. I'm in Tokyo now, but will be back in Phayao in May.

11 minutes ago, Tom89 said:

@ripstanley I currently don't have a teaching job lined up, but am thinking about it a few months down the road. For the time  being I got a place to the east of the highway, not far from Ram Hospital. Is there a pub where farang hang out? I've seen a few in trucks and on motorcycles but haven't met anybody yet. I'm in Tokyo now, but will be back in Phayao in May.

I do not drink very much in Phayao. Too far to drive. We are 13 kms out. I have been told that there is a bar down near the lake where a few farang hang out. It is near the old house that is being restored. It is about 100 meters back towards the King statue from the old house.

Be aware that Phayao Immigration are very hot on TM30s. You have to report or be reported within 24 hours of arrival They also want one when you return from travelling within Thailand. 

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

I do not drink very much in Phayao. Too far to drive. We are 13 kms out. I have been told that there is a bar down near the lake where a few farang hang out. It is near the old house that is being restored. It is about 100 meters back towards the King statue from the old house.

Be aware that Phayao Immigration are very hot on TM30s. You have to report or be reported within 24 hours of arrival They also want one when you return from travelling within Thailand. 

Thanks for the tip about the bar. I'll scout around when I get back.

Actually before I got my apartment, the guest house where I was staying didn't report me, and to make a long story short I wound up paying the fine.

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

This reply references TM30.  My limited understanding of the regs leads me to believe that this person should submit TM28.   Would doing so enable him to avoid the fine?   I understand that TM30 is the responsibility of the landlord?   Yes?  No?

You should know that there are from time to time some earth quakes.

It's a bit shaky anyway. 

However if it comes to eruptions it will be very hot, means no need for long pants. 

Honestly speaking there are only a handful of days to wear long pants. It seems as if the climate change is evidently to feel. 

5 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Then you are not an Aussie if 13kms is too far .. We use to travel 150 klm just to go on a picnic as most Aussies love to travel. 4 years ago had ice on my windscreen here in chiang rai

3 hours ago, Randy99 said:

This reply references TM30.  My limited understanding of the regs leads me to believe that this person should submit TM28.   Would doing so enable him to avoid the fine?   I understand that TM30 is the responsibility of the landlord?   Yes?  No?

The law states that all properties  that have non Thai nationals living on their premises must register them with the immigration department.

5 hours ago, kevvy said:

Then you are not an Aussie if 13kms is too far .. We use to travel 150 klm just to go on a picnic as most Aussies love to travel. 4 years ago had ice on my windscreen here in chiang rai

Thanks Keevy. 

In Aust it would be okay. Especially in the Top End where I used to live. Here it is too dangerous with the local drivers. Safer to drink at home.

I remember ice on my windscreen in 2012. It was hail

9 hours ago, Randy99 said:

The OP has lived in Phayao before. He would therefore be returning to his apartment so a new TM30 would be required. Technically the landlord should submit it but in reality the tenant does.  

I always submit my TM30 as my land lord under definition is my wife. 

Archived