BOI Application Process

yaonA

HI Guys,

I am currently under the BOI Application (Board Of Investment Thailand) process for setting up a new company in Thailand and a set project - Has anyone else gone through the application process?
Was just looking for some information about the process really plays out from the first interview to obtaining the certificate of promotion.

• 1 month later...

I had my interview on March 27th and I am still waiting. I was told by the interviewer that he would try to present my project to the board by May 17th, but no word yet. Feel like I've been left in the lurch. You hear back yet? What category of production promotion you apply for?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 7:05 PM, tsk3009 said:

I had my interview on March 27th and I am still waiting. I was told by the interviewer that he would try to present my project to the board by May 17th, but no word yet. Feel like I've been left in the lurch. You hear back yet? What category of production promotion you apply for?

I had my DEPA presentation on the 5th April as my category requires it and was told i would receive a letter from them around the end of April - received the letter in mid May giving DEPA approval and was then told my BOI officer was preparing my report for the board, it has been radio silence since then. Applying for 5.7.3 How about yourself?

Update 14th June late evening: BOI officer emails me to say her supervisor has reviewed her draft report on my project and has suggested a few amendments. She has already made the amendments and sent final draft back to her.

• 1 month later...

Can be quick or slow, no normal period.

Sometimes a few months start to finish, sometimes several years.

Occasionally applications will be left on a desk if staff change, department head on holiday etc, one of mine they didn't fully understand so it got stuck for ages.

Need to chase up for a status report periodically, but not too frequently or too pushy since you need the officers assistance.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, yaonA said:

Update 14th June late evening: BOI officer emails me to say her supervisor has reviewed her draft report on my project and has suggested a few amendments. She has already made the amendments and sent final draft back to her.

It took you a month after the project was presented to the board for an update. Damn! Long time. I thought it was just the presenters or the people you interview with that were backed up. I have followed up a couple times, and as I mentioned previously the guy I interviewed with initially said May. After a first follow-up in late May, he said he would work on it in early July. After a second follow up to which I received a response today. He said he is working on it now, that is, preparing to present it to the board. I read one guy's experience online from 2 years ago (a very detailed account) and they heard back and got approved 13 days after their interview. I think they were category 5, software dev, like you. This wait is ridiculous. You give them all the information they need, and they just need to transcribe or compile it and then review it. I wonder what the abandonment rate is. 

On 7/16/2019 at 2:23 PM, innerspace said:

Can be quick or slow, no normal period.

Sometimes a few months start to finish, sometimes several years.

Occasionally applications will be left on a desk if staff change, department head on holiday etc, one of mine they didn't fully understand so it got stuck for ages.

Need to chase up for a status report periodically, but not too frequently or too pushy since you need the officers assistance.

Hey Innerspace, so you've been down this road a few times. I'm curious, in setting up a business in Thailand are there any other major time wasters that you encountered besides the BOI application process?

On 7/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, tsk3009 said:

Hey Innerspace, so you've been down this road a few times. I'm curious, in setting up a business in Thailand are there any other major time wasters that you encountered besides the BOI application process?

Just thought i'd update again, at the end of June my application was finally approved by the board and went to accept the promotion. A few days after that they came back and said there was some issues with my paperwork - so i fixed it up and sent back to them via EMS. Tuesday 23rd July i got the all ok from BOI and they say i can pick up my certificate in 10 working days from then. So we will wait and see ????

Archived