BANGKOK
tassieman

What not to do in the (Thai) kitchen (apparently)

You need a new wife

• Haha 1

I fail understand why any farang would presume to take over a Thai kitchen. I prefer to have my GF serve me food cooked to my specifications.

I see your need for a change but you definitely sucked all the calories and fun out of that meal. Maybe one of those dishes at a time with the rice and pork, lol.
My wife’s been to the USA enough times and can tolerate a little of “my food”. So now I make spaghetti with vegetables and meat sauces, grilled tuna or ham and cheese sandwiches with soup, chef salad with bottled dressings, omelettes with ham and vegetables, pancakes or crepes, multigrain cereal with toast and yogurt, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with gravy, potato salad, grilled shrimp etc.
I know these aren’t the lowest calorie foods but I need the calories and variety. She’s just happy not to cook and blames “my food” (once a week or so) when the scale tips to the right!
Just some easy ideas, don’t give up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

with lashings of Vegemite no doubt? 🤣

I'm not allowed to mention that on TV anymore, so thanks.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not allowed to mention that on TV anymore, so thanks.

banned at last eh? 

29 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

banned at last eh? 

No. I just get inundated with Brits who wax lyrical with praise of Marmite and Bovril, and Yanks who can't understand either of us.

So I've surrendered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No. I just get inundated with Brits who wax lyrical with praise of Marmite and Bovril, and Yanks who can't understand either of us.

So I've surrendered.

to be perfectly honest I don't like any of them, so I will give up too.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tassieman said:

I disgraced myself by preparing two steamed fresh vegetable dishes: carrot a la butter n pepper and green string beans with a schmooze of olive oil and dry herbs and some raw garlic...added glory of a fresh garden salad (olives to boot).

Apart from the raw garlic, that sounds like a tasty meal to me. Also, it's definitely something my Thai wife would appreciate.

I'd probably want some poached salmon or a few prawns with it, and a thick slice of granary bread with too much butter (in a perfect world there would be steamed Jersey potatoes - skins on - on the side).

Does not surprise me that the 13 yr old turned his nose up. It's just their natural reaction to most things.

• Haha 2

I introduced cauli and broccoli to my thai family and now they regularly prepare it themselves, even the kids eat it...lotsa chiles, garlic and oyster sauce...the step daughter is a good cook...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I introduced an Italian pasta dish of my own devising to my Thai family.  They seem to love the cheesiness of it, which is odd as Thais don't seem to be big cheese eaters, or pasta eaters for that matter. I make the dish once ever two weeks of so.  The only stipulation they make is the I use minced pork and not beef, but it seems to taste pretty much the same, so I'm cool with that. 

• Like 1

[OP] thanks guys for all the mouth-watering advice 👌 the poached salmon (maybe with a white sauce and some lightly sauteed asparagus lol looks like a go next!). The main point of the exercise was actually to try and get my Thai stepson to experience the (occasional) heavenly delight of vegetables au naturel. I worry about his diet that seems to consist of rice and pork n chicken (often deep fried), nothing green in between and often supplemented by some bizarre 7/11 take away masquerading as sustenance hahaha. To be fair, when I was 13 all I wanted to eat was grease: fish, chips, potato cakes and when the budget could afford a glorious deep fried hamburger in batter (and still do sometimes lol) anyway... back to the cutting board.

12 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I introduced cauli and broccoli to my thai family and now they regularly prepare it themselves, even the kids eat it...lotsa chiles, garlic and oyster sauce...the step daughter is a good cook...

yum, broccoli and cauli , layered in cheese sauce, with baked potato, meal fit for a King. 

• Like 1