Renew 5 year Thai drivers license

marmaduke

1, Is Yellow book good for proof of residency or do I still need a residency certificate

2. I have seen postings that going to Motor Vehicles a few days after your birthdate for renewal of 5 year license will get you a license valid nearly 6 years.

True or false.

Thank You

On another post I read today someone had difficult obtaining their Driving License with their Yellow book... something do with your name being written in Thai while the name on your Passport is written in English - thus they cannot prove you are the same person.... (or something along those lines). 

On your second question: Yes, it has often been reported that those who've applied for their DL in the days after their B'day have been given 'nearly' 6 years as they 'roll' ahead to the next 5 birthdays for validity. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

On your second question: Yes, it has often been reported that those who've applied for their DL in the days after their B'day have been given 'nearly' 6 years as they 'roll' ahead to the next 5 birthdays for validity. 

Worked on the last 2 renewals for me, so I assume it's still the same.  

Renewed my licence in January, used a certificate from immigration so cannot answer yellow book query. However, the expiry date is my birthday in August, so I have a 5 1/2 year license. 

Another point of interest that appears totally ludicrous is the video presentation. I went with my wife as both licenses were due. I was applying for my first 5 year one. There were many people in the centre. We went through the colour test etc in groups of about 20. Afterwards we were divided into two groups........New license, and 5 yer renewal.

Newbies were sent to a room and a video started. We all went to another room. The examiner then said if I call out your name you can go and collect your license.....My wife and I were among those called. The people not called out remained to watch the video. When I asked about it I was told that as it was only 2 years since you last watched the video there was no need to repeat it, whereas the people renewing the 5 year licence may not have watched the video before................OR...may have forgotten what was on it !!!!

p.s. .....I never watched the video 2 years ago when I got my first license..........:smile:

In Korat - Cho Ho (sp??) land transport office today renewing from a 2 year license to a 5 year one.

Yellow book accepted as proof of address.  Also needed a doctor's letter stating fitness to drive which was 100 baht from the local hospital.

Had to do the same colour blindness test, peripheral vision, reaction speed and depth perception tests as last time.  No need to watch the video as apparently "farangs already know how to drive OK" 

In and out in less than an hour with new license valid for just under 6 years

45 minutes ago, whiteman said:

so am i right you went one day after your birth day which legally means you licence has expired if the date of the renewal is your exact birthday??

Not sure wether this answers your question:

"5 yr" (non temporary/standard) DLs always expire on your birthday.

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

so am i right you went one day after your birth day which legally means you licence has expired if the date of the renewal is your exact birthday??

If i tried that i would probably have an accident on the way to the DLT and my insurance would be invalid.

In response to the above, I still had several weeks life on my previous 2 year license.  I didn't have to wait for it to expire before renewing.  I went three days after my birthday so got a license valid for 5yrs and 362 days.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

If i tried that i would probably have an accident on the way to the DLT and my insurance would be invalid.

I found multiple hints that there is a grace period for the DL.

Unfortunately I can't find a reference.

If you are concerned take public transport/taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say. Its true. I went one day after my birthday today to renew my 5 year Thai drivers license. I received a 6 year valid license, minus one day.   Only negative was it took 4 hours to complete. Thank you to all who shared this loophole on Thai Visa.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:06 PM, grs90 said:

In Korat - Cho Ho (sp??) land transport office today renewing from a 2 year license to a 5 year one.

Yellow book accepted as proof of address.  Also needed a doctor's letter stating fitness to drive which was 100 baht from the local hospital.

Had to do the same colour blindness test, peripheral vision, reaction speed and depth perception tests as last time.  No need to watch the video as apparently "farangs already know how to drive OK" 

In and out in less than an hour with new license valid for just under 6 years

Is that correct? I understood that you needed a doctor's certificate if you were moving from a 2 year to a 5 year licence. But it was NOT needed if just renewing a 5 year one.

Archived