Obese young men and ‘ladyboys’ dodge Thai military draft on conscription day

webfact

THE WEIGH-IN 

Obese young men and ‘ladyboys’ dodge Thai military draft on conscription day

The law requires anyone who was born male to present themselves at recruitment centres after they turn 21

By Felix Allen

Con.jpg

Transgender student Kornpong Limphairot, 22, wearing her university uniform, lines up nervously with other potential conscripts today in Bangkok//EPA

THAI "ladyboys" line up with hundreds of young men for a big weigh-in to decide who will be called up for military service. 

Transgender women who have completed surgical transition are exempt from conscription into the Army, along with men who are medically unfit. But the law requires anyone who was born male to present themselves at recruitment centres after they turn 21 to take part in a call-up lottery.

It has become an annual tradition as some self-styled ladyboys put on glamorous dresses and makeup to celebrate their femininity as they line up with other would-be conscripts.

With medical certificates in hand, they are allowed to keep their clothes on while the men remove their tops for a "fat check". The bizarre scenes are a ritual every April as Thai men over 21 must either choose to serve six months in the Army or enter a conscription lottery.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8767890/lardies-ladyboys-measured-weighed-military-conscription-day/#

-- The SUN 2019-04-02

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In spite of The Sun's main motivation being a saucy story involving ladyboys and some pictures of man boobs, they're doing a good job in highlighting Thailand's ridiculously outdated conscription rules. There hasn't been a ladyboy in the British army since Gloria in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum". 

29 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

In spite of The Sun's main motivation being a saucy story involving ladyboys and some pictures of man boobs, they're doing a good job in highlighting Thailand's ridiculously outdated conscription rules. There hasn't been a ladyboy in the British army since Gloria in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum". 

A very good post.

My stepson is going to 'pick' tomorrow. Already has a good job, hard working young man. But I fear that if he 'gets army' his current position will be finished in his absence.

Whole damn thing's a waste of time, & money.

This outlandish, outdated and outrageous practice, will hopefully be stopped once sanity comes to Thailand with a future forward thinking government! If Thailand needs or wants an army, then it should consist of volunteers. However, those young men seeking a career in politics will all be clamouring to be chosen!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Have you ever encountered The Royal Marines on a "run ashore"?

As an Ex-soldier myself I find it refreshing that at least in Thailand the men are honest about their feelings on Army Service.

It really sickens me to the pit of my stomach when I constantly hear serving soldiers or ex-soldiers being thanked (or called "hero's") for their "service to their country" by Media people ...in one particular major country in the  Western World.

When I joined the army..my reason for doing so had absolutely nothing to do with "patriotism" or did I see it as a fantastic opportunity to "serve my country"...I joined to serve my own needs at that time in my life.

PS...The same country's media also like to thank their politicians for their "years of service" to their country...as if they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts 

In my book..."servants"don't have heaps and bounds More than the people they are serving, treated like royalty being driven around in hugh cars, aeroplanes etc.,.and seemingly would sell their Mother to get re-elected.

"Rant over".

2 hours ago, faraday said:

A very good post.

My stepson is going to 'pick' tomorrow. Already has a good job, hard working young man. But I fear that if he 'gets army' his current position will be finished in his absence.

Whole damn thing's a waste of time, & money.

The army has always been a waste of time and money for those who don't want to join. Conscription is a crazy thing. Get a smaller professional army pay them better and voila.

Not that the generals would like it.

Why does Thailand even bother having a military?. They never fight unless its 6 Thais against one old fart foreigner .

The Burmese army sacked Thailand twice,Thais surrendered as soon as the Japs arrived in 1941 and recently  a unit of Lao soldiers poured over the Mekong river and kicked the crap out of the Thais.

Two thousand army generals couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

53 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

This outlandish, outdated and outrageous practice, will hopefully be stopped once sanity comes to Thailand with a future forward thinking government! If Thailand needs or wants an army, then it should consist of volunteers. However, those young men seeking a career in politics will all be clamouring to be chosen!

ahahha

you used FORWARD & THINKING & THAILAND in the same sentence....

good one, as that will NEVER happen

cheap slaves or prisoners with jobs

5 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Why does Thailand even bother having a military?. They never fight unless its 6 Thais against one old fart foreigner .

The Burmese army sacked Thailand twice,Thais surrendered as soon as the Japs arrived in 1941 and recently  a unit of Lao soldiers poured over the Mekong river and kicked the crap out of the Thais.

i overheard saenchai saying he wanted to

test his mettle in the ultimate challenge:

an ole falang with no training whatsoever

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

once sanity comes to Thailand

So you're thinking long term eh? If the authorities allow the daily roadkill; the polluting of young lungs; police corruption; how long do you think it will be before they abolish compulsory army slavery.

38 minutes ago, justin case said:

so the choices are:  cut of your D.  (or are they allowed to keep it)  or getting morbidly obese if you want to escape this nonsense

I was under the impression that most Thai ladyboys are still intact down below as that procedure is rather expensive.

Conscription for a year in the military could be a good thing if you look at the way a lot of the young people act today.  The probelms are 2 fold.

One they are not trained properly and

They do not look at what the person is doing to contribute to the community now.

If you are obese that is actually a good reason to be in the army.  Work off the pounds and get into shape.

If a person has a good job and loses the lottery then the government should have it put in a law that their position will be guaranteed for them once they are finished.

People are complaining that there is a shortage of tradespeople.  The military can provide the tradespeople if they act properly.

I served 27 years and watched a lot of kids become men and ladies that grew not all made it a career but they were all better for it when they left.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You're right but those senior officers need a steady supply of slaves to mow their lawns and wash their cars.

I was conscripted into the army, and ended up serving 22 months.

Yes, it did cost me money, a lot.

Yes, it was, sometimes, degrading.

But I must say what I learned there, was of use to me many years afterwards, and looking back after fifty years, it wasn't lost time.

I even was able, got the time for it, to study, all paid for by the army.

To follow a study is also possible in the Thai army.

If you do things right you also learn self discipline, and that is a thing sorely missed in many young Thai men.

I know, my son changed a lot, for the better.

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

WOW !! a pig just flew past my window.

Have you ever been in Main Street, Gibraltar when 1 or 2 RN submarines have docked? If you are worried about your bottom, don't go within 5 miles of a certain bar where anything goes, animal or vegetable.

Have you ever been in Poole when the Marines have a night off? Same applies. I used to know a pair of very hard marines, one in special forces for a time. They were a very loving male couple.

The "angry of Pattaya" armchair brigade just make me titter. Titter-ye-not. All true.

Eddy

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

It's about looking good in a uniform with gold braid & wings... nothing about ability to fight!

It's also about job opportunities for the elite friends, hundreds of commanders need thousands of soldiers to justify their existence!

We all saw how efficient the "Thai Navy Seals" were last year, couldn't get a football team out of cave !!

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Think your out of touch all sexual orientation are now allowed to join U.K. HM Forces indeed when I retired in the early 90s I had a Senior NCO who was a cross dresser but to be honest he was an extremely good soldier and promoted to Sgt well before his time

44 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I was under the impression that most Thai ladyboys are still intact down below as that procedure is rather expensive.

it is a bit of an overkill to cut off your man parts just to avoid a couple of years in the Army, now that is LGBT commitment.  

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You're right but those senior officers need a steady supply of slaves to mow their lawns and wash their cars.

And some lucky ones who become senior officers in the future will keep the tradition alive. 

Archived