Obese young men and ‘ladyboys’ dodge Thai military draft on conscription day

webfact

Poor thailand cannot have their own culture and run their country as they see fit. Everyone here has all the solutions for them of course, why did you run away from your own country to come here and live, you could have stayed home and made it better.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Think your out of touch all sexual orientation are now allowed to join U.K. HM Forces indeed when I retired in the early 90s I had a Senior NCO who was a cross dresser but to be honest he was an extremely good soldier and promoted to Sgt well before his time

I was in the services well before it was official to have LGBT people acknowledged and officially accepted;  however, we all knew who they were and it made not an once of difference to them, to us, or to their commitment to being in the Military and doing the job and being part of the team. It was a none issue and eventually officialdom caught up with the real world. 

20 minutes ago, soleddy said:

Have you ever been in Main Street, Gibraltar when 1 or 2 RN submarines have docked? If you are worried about your bottom, don't go within 5 miles of a certain bar where anything goes, animal or vegetable.

Have you ever been in Poole when the Marines have a night off? Same applies. I used to know a pair of very hard marines, one in special forces for a time. They were a very loving male couple.

The "angry of Pattaya" armchair brigade just make me titter. Titter-ye-not. All true.

Eddy

Sounds like Tory heaven at the old Etonians Bullingdon pig fest ????

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

it is a bit of an overkill to cut off your man parts just to avoid a couple of years in the Army, now that is LGBT commitment.  

I think they only need the boob implants or a few months on hormones to get a reprieve. Easy to reverse later. 

The draft is an unnecessary and outdated legal requirement in a climate where there are MANY men and women who volunteer particularly in the less affluent provinces. It should be eliminated or draft age men should be allowed to do alternative/community service. What's the point of having to join the army for 6 months? No national security benefit

35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It's about looking good in a uniform with gold braid & wings... nothing about ability to fight!

It's also about job opportunities for the elite friends, hundreds of commanders need thousands of soldiers to justify their existence!

We all saw how efficient the "Thai Navy Seals" were last year, couldn't get a football team out of cave !!

To be fair, at least the Thai Navy Seals admitted they could do no more and needed foreign help, credit where credit is due i think!

4 hours ago, faraday said:

A very good post.

My stepson is going to 'pick' tomorrow. Already has a good job, hard working young man. But I fear that if he 'gets army' his current position will be finished in his absence.

Whole damn thing's a waste of time, & money.

Get Outlook i know somebody who paid 30000 baht not to do it

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

As an Ex-soldier myself I find it refreshing that at least in Thailand the men are honest about their feelings on Army Service.

It really sickens me to the pit of my stomach when I constantly hear serving soldiers or ex-soldiers being thanked (or called "hero's") for their "service to their country" by Media people ...in one particular major country in the  Western World.

When I joined the army..my reason for doing so had absolutely nothing to do with "patriotism" or did I see it as a fantastic opportunity to "serve my country"...I joined to serve my own needs at that time in my life.

PS...The same country's media also like to thank their politicians for their "years of service" to their country...as if they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts 

In my book..."servants"don't have heaps and bounds More than the people they are serving, treated like royalty being driven around in hugh cars, aeroplanes etc.,.and seemingly would sell their Mother to get re-elected.

"Rant over".

My hat off to you sir, a fantastic post.....I think the best ever on TV. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I for one, concur absolutely.

5 hours ago, faraday said:

A very good post.

My stepson is going to 'pick' tomorrow. Already has a good job, hard working young man. But I fear that if he 'gets army' his current position will be finished in his absence.

Whole damn thing's a waste of time, & money.

and it doesn't need to be.

Compare to Singapore, a vulnerable small city/state which needs to have good security, a very large % of Singapore young men see NS at their duty, they receive very up to date training, they live in good quality modern barracks, they get trips abroad, and a large % come out of NS with a bachelor degree (subject is their choice) or some other valuable qualifications and the pay and benefits is not all that bad.

One of my old work colleagues was developing as a good young management consultant, he started NS and was assigned as a research assistant in their science warfare unit, he fell in love with the subject he left NS with his Ph.D. 90% finished and a grant to finish it. 

Live everything it can be different / it can be changed. Roll on FFP. 

24 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Get Outlook i know somebody who paid 30000 baht not to do it

That may the price after you pick. Before it's closer to 5,000. 30,000 is the price paid to beat a drug rap.

All the generals need five or six servants each, hence a non-volunteer force is needed.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

And some lucky ones who become senior officers in the future will keep the tradition alive. 

I understand your logic. However, it is impossible for a conscript to become a senior officer in the Thai military. Future senior officers generally need to attend AFAPS from the age of 16 and then go on to Chulachomklao military academy. Like everything else in Thailand, the status, wealth and connections of the family dictate the future of the child. And it is exceedingly difficult to gain entrance to AFAPS.

From age 14-16 whilst at school boys can opt to do Lor Dor (spelling?). Like Army cadets, 1 morning a week for a couple of hours. Get a paper at the end and no conscription lottery at 21, end of.

My boy would love to sign up for proper military service on a professional basis, guess what, can't be done, only those from the 'right' families get that option.

Given the choice I can see him going to UK and joining up there.

4 hours ago, aussiandrew said:

In the past I have go to the centres and watched the show it can be quite entertaining specially during the lottery call. Never see people so happy not to win the lottery....

Is it an event open to the public?

39 minutes ago, faraday said:

How does one go about getting another's name forgotten?

Do you mean the young man's name is somehow gone from the various records? Therefore no follow up by the authorities re NS?

I'm doubtful that can be done but just my assumption, nothing more. I'm aware there are checks on the national database of all Tabien Baan records and maybe more. Removing your name from the Tabien Bann records may be possible, I don't know, but may not be a wise move for other reasons. Example, remove name from Tabien Baan database then apply for a passport, maybe quite difficult to get a passport - all my assumptions.

Different approach already mentioned in this thread, seek out some officials who for a fee will ensure the boy doesn't get selected.

I'm aware of one case (but it's 15 years ago), the young man found 2 army officers who produced a certificate to say that he had attended the 'draw' in advance for whatever reason, and he pulled out the colour which means no NS. From memory the family paid 30,000Baht.

The twist is that a couple of years later the young man had become very keen on joining the navy and becoming a seal, and he did. 

1 hour ago, tom in bangkok said:

What are the odds of drawing a black card vs a red card? Is it just the total number of "fit for service" citizens attending where, say, 40% of the cards are red?

This varies by location. That's why some people re-locate to a town which has already met their quota. Even Mark Vejjajiva was able to dodge conscription. Again, prior to the draw, 5,000 yields a black card. After the draw, a red card requires 30,000 to magically turn into a black card.

5 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

This outlandish, outdated and outrageous practice, will hopefully be stopped once sanity comes to Thailand with a future forward thinking government! If Thailand needs or wants an army, then it should consist of volunteers. However, those young men seeking a career in politics will all be clamouring to be chosen!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Conscription in Germany was abolished about ten years ago, in France about 15 years ago ... get a damn clue.

5 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Why does Thailand even bother having a military?. They never fight unless its 6 Thais against one old fart foreigner .

The Burmese army sacked Thailand twice,Thais surrendered as soon as the Japs arrived in 1941 and recently  a unit of Lao soldiers poured over the Mekong river and kicked the crap out of the Thais.

Two thousand army generals couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Wrong, go read a history book. During the wars with Burma, Thailand did not even exist. It was called Ayutthaya that time. 

During WWII, Thailand granted the japanese army "free passage" from east to west to fight the britts. They did not surrender, ...

10 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This varies by location. That's why some people re-locate to a town which has already met their quota. Even Mark Vejjajiva was able to dodge conscription. Again, prior to the draw, 5,000 yields a black card. After the draw, a red card requires 30,000 to magically turn into a black card.

Most kids with academic promise or who've had money invested in their education will go this route. It's a sad indictment on the intellectual prowess of those running the place.

On a separate note, those prices are a lot cheaper and less hassle than a boob job. 

3 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

To be fair, at least the Thai Navy Seals admitted they could do no more and needed foreign help, credit where credit is due i think!

Thai Navy Seals are foremost: navy seals. And not experienced cave divers. People who don't grasp how difficult cave diving is simply should stay out of discussions like this, but that obviously is an oxymoron.

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

In spite of The Sun's main motivation being a saucy story involving ladyboys and some pictures of man boobs, they're doing a good job in highlighting Thailand's ridiculously outdated conscription rules. There hasn't been a ladyboy in the British army since Gloria in "It Ain't Half Hot Mum". 

Also doing a great job of highlighting an unhealthy life style of junk food. 

2 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Also doing a great job of highlighting an unhealthy life style of junk food. 

True - it's noteworthy that the old comedies like Dad's Army and It Aint Half Hot Mum had plenty of effeminate and racial stereotypes, but no obese characters. It was an uncommon sight a few decades ago in both Asia and the West. 

Archived