Brexit deadlocked again: British parliament fails to find an alternative

webfact

Brexit deadlocked again: British parliament fails to find an alternative

By Kylie MacLellan and William James

2019-04-01T213031Z_1_LYNXNPEF302OC_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves Downing Street in London, Britain April 1, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain was no nearer to resolving the chaos surrounding its departure from the European Union after parliament failed on Monday to find a majority of its own for any alternative to Prime Minister Theresa May's divorce deal.

After a tumultuous week in which May's divorce strategy was rejected by lawmakers for a third time, despite her offer to quit if it passed, the future direction of Brexit remains mired in confusion.

In a bid to break the impasse, lawmakers on Monday voted on four last-minute alternative Brexit options for what is the United Kingdom's most far-reaching policy change since World War Two. All were defeated.

The option that came closest to getting a majority was a proposal to keep Britain in a customs union with the EU, which was defeated by three votes.

A proposal for a confirmatory referendum on any deal got the most votes, but was defeated by 292-280.

Brexit minister Steven Barclay said after the results were announced that the default position was still that Britain would leave the EU on April 12 without a deal, the nightmare scenario for many international businesses.

"The only option is to find a way through which allows the UK to leave with a deal," Barclay told parliament.

He hinted that May could put her deal to a fourth vote this week in the hope of securing an orderly exit before European elections are held from May 23 onwards.

"If the house were to agree a deal this week, it would still be possible to avoid holding European parliamentary elections," Barclay said.

STERLING FALLS

Sterling fell almost 1 percent to $1.3048, after the vote results were read out by the speaker, John Bercow, to stand around 0.5 percent lower on the day.

Last Friday, the third defeat of May's own withdrawal agreement left one of the weakest British leaders in a generation facing a spiralling crisis over Brexit.

Her government and her Conservative Party, which has been trying to contain a schism over Europe for 30 years, are now riven between those who are demanding that May pilot a decisive break with the bloc and those demanding that she rule out such an outcome.

If May were to throw her weight behind either camp, she would risk tearing her party apart and bringing down the government. Some Conservative lawmakers have warned they will support a motion of no confidence if she accepts calls for a Brexit that maintains many of the existing close economic ties with the EU.

Britain had been due to leave the EU on March 29 but the political deadlock in London forced May to ask the bloc for a delay. As things stand, Britain will now depart at 2200 GMT on April 12 - unless May comes up with another viable option.

(Graphic: Brexit meaningful votes, 2V4on0S)

(Writing by Guy Faulconbridge, Elizabeth Piper and Michael Holden; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-02

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Brexit minister Steven Barclay said after the results were announced that the default position was still that Britain would leave the EU on April 12 without a deal, the nightmare scenario for many international businesses.

It's not a 'nightmare scenario', it's what the British people voted for!

Watch the video and see for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPcmebRH904&feature=youtu.be

1 hour ago, Rally123 said:

Said 3 years ago, on here, that it'd be a 'Hard Brexit'. Hurry up and bring it on. Stuff the EU. 3 years wasted.

You are in the happy position not having to rely on the strength of the pound obviously

Looking back to early Brexit threads here on TVF, dozens of Brexit supporters have seemingly evaporated     leaving only a handful of Brexiteers doggedly posting in support of their failing Brexit.

It’s human nature, when people get conned a small minority will double down on the con they bought into, the majority will simply stop talking about their foolish choice and hope it goes away.

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

benefits, the operative word for a no deal brexit, lots of people will be on them.

....and many will fare very well from the opportunities that are created.

An election would not guarantee a “deal”

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Is that before or after we’re out in eleven days time on 12th April? It can’t be the excuse for another extension.

I would have no issue with an election being called immediately after exiting. The people can then have a vote on who they think is the best party to continue the task.

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Looking back to early Brexit threads here on TVF, dozens of Brexit supporters have seemingly evaporated     leaving only a handful of Brexiteers doggedly posting in support of their failing Brexit.

It’s human nature, when people get conned a small minority will double down on the con they bought into, the majority will simply stop talking about their foolish choice and hope it goes away.

Even brexiteers have a threshold to written abuse.

Think most of the Brexiteers over here in Thailand myself included will GLADLY take it on the chin..in order that...in my case..my friends, their kids and in some cases their grandkids will have a far better future and lifestyle in the medium and longterm future.

You are in the happy position not having to rely on the strength of the pound obviously

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My reasons for leaving the EU remain as valid and important (to me) as they were when I voted. The current fiasco is a result of pathetic incompetence within government and opposition and a refusal to heed the opinions of the people they represent by our parliamentarians.

I rarely post on the matter because it will achieve little. I have explained my position in the past several times, so regular followers of the topic will know exactly here I stand. Unless or until my views change, or a fresh argument against them emerges, I shan't put them forward again. 

Your analysis smacks more of glee at watching that incompetence and refusal to pay heed to both the referendum and general election votes lead to, possibly, an outcome for which you wish, and will frustrate those you describe, rather than any change in opinion nationally.

That is perhaps a trait of human nature

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Tower bridge would be the ideal location????

Well the o/p photo say' it all... May behind bars.:clap2:

Unfortunately we see too often Farage the wrong side of the wrong type of bars. :burp:

27 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Think most of the Brexiteers over here in Thailand myself included will GLADLY take it on the chin..in order that...in my case..my friends, their kids and in some cases their grandkids will have a far better future and lifestyle in the medium and longterm future.

Think most of the Remainers over here in Thailand, myself included, will GLADLY see Article 50 revoked..in order that...in my case..my friends, my kids and in some cases our grandkids will have a far better future and lifestyle in the medium and longterm future.

You can see how divided we are to think anti-parallel paths lead to a better future.

31 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

C/h..
It has frequently been pointed out on various Brexit threads that there are countless reasons why 17.4 million people voted LEAVE.

There are contra reasons why 16.1 million people voted REMAIN and a further 13 million people who didn't vote for any number of reasons. So as it stands, Brexiteers only amassed 37.4% of the total electorate, which for any number of reasons does NOT command the 'will of the people'.

And, IMO, the driving rationale for voting Leave is as a result of an austerity government who failed to support industry north of the Watford gap, causing huge swathes of unemployed people, and who were to lazy to get off their butts, preferring to live off the dole, blaming the EU immigrants for taking jobs, and stating the same mantra - 'leaving must be better off than what we got now'.

42 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

C/h..
It has frequently been pointed out on various Brexit threads that there are countless reasons why 17.4 million people voted LEAVE.

Countless repetitions of nationalistic twaddle.

If the 13 million could not be bothered to vote..then that was their decision.
Perhaps the UK should make it compulsary vote.
In Australia..don't vote..financial fine demand is in the post.

There are contra reasons why 16.1 million people voted REMAIN and a further 13 million people who didn't vote for any number of reasons. So as it stands, Brexiteers only amassed 37.4% of the total electorate, which for any number of reasons does NOT command the 'will of the people'.

And, IMO, the driving rationale for voting Leave is as a result of an austerity government who failed to support industry north of the Watford gap, causing huge swathes of unemployed people, and who were to lazy to get off their butts, preferring to live off the dole, blaming the EU immigrants for taking jobs, and stating the same mantra - 'leaving must be better off than what we got now'.

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

My drunk Brexiteer mate was demonstrating the logic of anti-parallel paths down Soi Buakaow last night but was unfortunately hit by a baht bus in the middle of it.

????????:clap2::cheesy:????????:clap2::cheesy:????????:clap2::cheesy:

Lucky he was not doing the Brexit Tightrope walk, ...on the high voltage cables.

Archived