Brexit deadlocked again: British parliament fails to find an alternative

webfact

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Grouse said:

A general election must now be called

This will not change anything. 

Because UK would have to take part In elections for EU parliament. 

That means to stay in the club for at least one year but probably a couple of years more or ever. 

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I support a hard Brexit, 100%. 

I was never conned, nor do I look down upon people with  a differing opinion. 

There's plenty of Brexit supporters here - but it's tiresome being called racists, small minded, stupid, gullible. People come here to have discussions & when the opposition doesn't have a single valid argument and falls back on insults, it's clear there's not much to discuss.

Brexiteer claims he was never conned. Then tells us he is with the crowd preparing to jump off the proverbial cliff.

7 hours ago, Grouse said:

The problem is most people don't feel well represented  by the current political parties 

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

I oh I see the old chants of look at Italy Coalition governments don't work...

Forgettinting that there are many other countries with coalition governments do work very well. 

I have always liked coalition government. It lets the nutters let of team but corrals them at the same time!

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Oh look! The wheels are still spinning!!

An election will not make this go away any faster or more decisively. It's just another manifestation of kicking the can down the road. Both major parties are hopelessly riven with their own internecine strife and our elected representatives are mostly all sitting around the Westminster coffee shops, bars and restaurants playing puerile, childish conspiracy games. The erstwhile new leaders are too chickenshit to even stick their hand up let alone stick their heads above the parapet. Meanwhile a handful of them, the ones coming up with ideas and initiatives like the indicative votes, are doing all the donkey work. After last week's epic fail on the first eight indicative votes, these bloody oxygen wasters were more upset about having to come back on Monday and vote on more solution-seeking guidelines from their earnest, hard working but hopelessly outnumbered peers. There's collectively no desire from them to carry out the will of the people. That's shameful.

An election will not magically replace this current parliament of indolents with anything different.

A real coalition government

3 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Yeh the remainers/lefties never seem to get banned. Constant trolling, baiting, patronising, condescending, name calling and bigotry are allowed here apparently.

So I'm not a remainer? Anymore moronic comments? Grow up!

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Looking back to early Brexit threads here on TVF, dozens of Brexit supporters have seemingly evaporated     leaving only a handful of Brexiteers doggedly posting in support of their failing Brexit.

It’s human nature, when people get conned a small minority will double down on the con they bought into, the majority will simply stop talking about their foolish choice and hope it goes away.

Reminds me how huge numbers of TV posters who were predicting and emotionally invested in trump's 2016 election loss just vanished after 2016...leaving a pathetic trickle of 'resistance'

I say the dozen of Brexit supporters pulled back because they had been heard and were under the impression 

their wish to leave would be upheld and respected. Not dragged thru the mud by politicians who want to overturn

the results of a binding referendum.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Marketing ad for Taking Holidays in Blackpool.

Wallow in a deadlock holiday?  (Or should that be Breadlock holiday?)  Either way, 10cc would seem to be the collective cranial capacity of the UK parliament.

Brexit has been an unprecedented failure.  Whatever the outcome we are all worse off.  We can (and do) play the blame game every day but apart from the financial cost so far (which is significant) this has split the country, destroyed the credibility of our government and made us a laughing stock on the world stage.

This is not about being a leaver or a remainer.  We are all involved in the biggest cock-up of recent times.  Who in their right mind would trust any of this shower of politicians?  A general election?  To vote for who exactly?

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

What is the advantage of new elections ? in the UK you have the choice between two big ones, Conservatives and Labour, and a few small ones, mostly even regional. So, with 40% of the votes in 50%+1 constituency you can form with only 20% of the electorate a majority government.

Second: each party is divided from remain to .. whatever consequence: leave.

Third: you might be in favour for one party, but.. against the voting behaviour of the representative of YOUR constituency, but .. for instance, completely agree with the candidate of YOUR party in the constituency next door, but.. there.. you cannot vote. Same when 90% of teh British electorate agree with those "Independant rebels": sorry only in those constituencies they can be re-elected.

Therefore: a voting system out of the 18th century, in which every area wanted to be heard in Parliament… does not work for problems in the 21th century. But.. maybe the reason why… the mind of the British is still in a period centuries ago.

My opinion: only one solution: experience the (hard) Brexit for a couple of months, and then , after experienced the begging of the luxury /disaster, a referendum . Now the British can only agree, there is NO POINT of agreement at all. And.. do not have an idea, how the situation will be.

Bye-the-way: how you think the remaining 27 countries would treat the UK when still in the EU with any next EU vote: “you want to Brexit again ? “

36 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I say the dozen of Brexit supporters pulled back because they had been heard and were under the impression 

their wish to leave would be upheld and respected. Not dragged thru the mud by politicians who want to overturn

the results of a binding referendum.

Can't speak for others, but I have tried staying away from these Brexit threads as much as possible. Why? We won the referendum, end of story. There is nothing else to discus until we get the Brexit we voted for (which was the hard Brexit btw no single market, no customs union, no open borders). Any discussion of the subject merely serves to cheapen and dilute the astounding victory we won. I note Mogg and Farage have both started discussing soft brexits and delays on LBC. This is a tragedy, they have played right into the left's hand by doing that.

I say no discussion, get on with it. Brexit happened on the 29th March, leave voters should be entitled to some form of compensation for every day democracy hangs in limbo thanks to team remain. If remainers decide they want anarchy rather than respecting votes and democratic principles I suggest they think again. The defender's of a country have much more invested than others acting from some modern ideological stance. We will not meekly slink back into the shadows and let you rerun referendums for as many times until you get the result you want. It's not going to happen like that.

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Think most of the Remainers over here in Thailand, myself included, will GLADLY see Article 50 revoked..in order that...in my case..my friends, my kids and in some cases our grandkids will have a far better future and lifestyle in the medium and longterm future.

You can see how divided we are to think anti-parallel paths lead to a better future.

So… try a Brexit for a couple of months, years. When a success, the EU dream proved to be worng, and.. when a disaster, maybe, under acceptance of Schengen, €uro and.. right lane traffic, you can join in again… in 202X.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A German lady' in a tobacconist, overcharged me once in Dortmund. And a Nigerian lady in Spain didn't give me what we negotiated. And some Dutch guys got me drunk in Rotterdam. Bloody 'orrible meal in Greece once.

Let's get out why we can, with our head held high and some dosh in the coffers. The EU is doomed anyway. England once more is showing the way. More to follow.

Thanks to the UK disaster till now, many think not twice, but 10 x. Salvini of Lega ( North) already learned it.

58 minutes ago, vogie said:

Michel Barnier has just announced that "if the UK wants to leave the EU in an orderly manner, the withdrawal agreement is and will be the only option"

This made me chuckle from the Mogg:

6 hours ago, flossie35 said:

It's a nightmare regardless. It wasn't on the ballot paper so how can you say people voted for it? I suspect there'll be another vote  - see what they vote for then.

As far as I know, only "Brexit" was the choice, together with "Remain". Never was mentioned: whatever the consequences.

Second: looking to polls later: a LOT of Brits, when they finally started to be aware what all COULD happen, they wanted to chance their vote. Sorry, voting is not for idiots, but for persons, who really investigated some time to be sure of their vote.

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

A German lady' in a tobacconist, overcharged me once in Dortmund. And a Nigerian lady in Spain didn't give me what we negotiated. And some Dutch guys got me drunk in Rotterdam. Bloody 'orrible meal in Greece once.

Let's get out why we can, with our head held high and some dosh in the coffers. The EU is doomed anyway. England once more is showing the way. More to follow.

A Brit once doublecrossed me, another swindled me, a third lied to me, and a fourth send me the wrong way. A reason to condemn all 65 million Brits and want them to leave the EU ? 

When THIS is the level of thoughts at Brits… please move on to the middle of the Atlantic… 

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

He said nightmare scenario for business - read it more slowly.

Several times Brexiteers have been asked on here to find an industry boss (job providers) in favour of Brexit and several times they’ve gone quiet !!

No business = no jobs but it’ll all be ok right because we can all rely on the jobs from the deals we haven’t got!

Come to experience the European continent. Your job is already here, your nurses and docters found a better job here, despite your £ 350 million per week for the NHS.

For import duties into the EU, see  https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

A LOT of Industrial output, e.g. cars: 10%. Confectionary 13,7%, and meat; seen vetrinary regulations; forget it.

In 1970 I hitch-hiked from Dover to Inverness. The £  was worth Hfl 10,64 ( /2,20 = € 4,828). Now it is a € 1,167 a 24% of then. The DM went from Hfl 0,90 to 1,12, an increase of 24%. So, donot worry about the increase of costs seen import duty into the EU: in no time, you succeed to bring down the £ to € 0,90 and are able to compete again. Oh.. your PURCHASING.. prices.. that's YOUR problem.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Michel Barnier has just announced that "if the UK wants to leave the EU in an orderly manner, the withdrawal agreement is and will be the only option"

Is there anybody, who can explain the British "you need two for tango? ". And that is NOT Labour & Conservatives….

50 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Who in their right mind would trust any of this shower of politicians?  A general election?  To vote for who exactly?

Maybe the "independent rebels" & Libdem ? Worse it cannot be...

Archived