no-deal

may-deal

Barnier opts to call may-deal only orderly way of leaving

other people may have different views on that

this is the way it has been for quite some time

I fail to see the news bit

Agree.
May Deal is based on her red lines.

If the UK rejects all 4 freedoms of the EU, there can be only one deal based on the Canada Agreement.

If the UK Parliament and government wants to make economic harakiri, or complete economic self-castration, that does not mean that the EU has to make special concessions or change club rules just because a member has too much air in their heads.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Not to go too far off topic, generally speaking, how did you find things in Inverness back in 1970?

Well in a funny way it does relate to the topic, (I grew up close to there in my teenage years) the entire subject of independence was never even thought of. The twist and the shake had recently arrived, and we had just discovered rock and roll 6 years too late. Girls were not the slightest impressed by the bagpipes or the accordion, but if you sang couple of Beatles songs you were a big hit with them. It is probably sobering to reflect how time changes everything - in 20 years time the whole Brexit thing will just be history. Our children will have casually dumped it like an old whore, with no more concern than if they were shoveling Sh#t into a bucket. 

40 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

are you joking or serious?

braking news?

UK population learning to today that the options are

revoke a50

possible long prolongation

no-deal

may-deal

Barnier opts to call may-deal only orderly way of leaving

other people may have different views on that

this is the way it has been for quite some time

I fail to see the news bit

I'm very serious, I cannot remember the EU giving this utimatum before, your beef is really with Sky news or Mr Barnier, I was just the messenger. 

Screenshot_2019-04-02-19-38-22-892.jpeg

Screenshot_2019-04-02-19-39-51-348.jpeg

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

A Brit once double crossed me, another swindled me, a third lied to me, and a fourth send me the wrong way. A reason to condemn all 65 million, Brits and want them to leave the EU? 

That's a good enough reason to have principles puipuitom. Just can't trust some people. Us English need to know where we stand. What's that saying? "An Englishman's handshake is as good as a bond." Just can't trust these people.

Let's get together and make England great again. Let's build up the old British Empire into the new British Empire and sock it to those EUocrats.

Rule Britannia!

57 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That's a good enough reason to have principles puipuitom. Just can't trust some people. Us English need to know where we stand. What's that saying? "An Englishman's handshake is as good as a bond." Just can't trust these people.

Let's get together and make England great again. Let's build up the old British Empire into the new British Empire and sock it to those EUocrats.

Rule Britannia!

how was the party ????

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

All fair points, but coalition governments ARE successful elsewhere. Historically, coalitions have been forced upon us. If it was the norm, it may be different.

Right now we have the weakest crop of MPs that I can ever recall. Hardly a single statesman among them. WE really need to take more of an interest and much more care who we choose as our MPs. Now people understand that MPs are not there, just to convey the decisions of a majority of the constituents, people may take more care.

I like Burkian representative democracy but one must select suitable people to represent you.

Man of the match during this farrago is Blackford. I have no time for anyone on either of the front benches. Caroline Lucas has been good. Vince is passed it; could even whip his few MPs into line. Chuka Umunna is good and so is Hilary Benn. I'm a big fan of speaker Bercow. Spreadsheet is a good Chancillor. Nick Boles should have been a rising star for the CONs. JRM is impressive, I just don't care for his outlook; sound parliamentarian though. Ken Clarke is excellent as he should be with all that experience. Joanna Cherry will lead the SNP one day. Yvette Cooper is energetic but a bit austere for me. Dominic Grieve would be my choice for solicitor general. Oliver Letwin impresses. 

Overall, not an impressive crowd compared to the last 5 decades that I have taken an interest.

When did Westminster become such a haven of milquetoasts and pantywaists? Has it been the gradual deception, a dumbing-down of the British electorate who after being duped into EEC membership in 1973, were advised that keeping the £ was the cleverest thing that Britain got out of the Maastricht Treaty? Ten years on, the EU and the € are steamrollering across the continent and nobody notices except fisherman and plumbers. It has been a gradual EUthanisation of the British thinking national body politic so what did we expect when the great unwashed suddenly pulls the rug out from under them...

When we have that oxygen waster Chris Grayling calling for better Tory leadership, I got to agree with your "Legge's Eleven" there. But...

I'd vote for Gina Miller for PM

Honestly?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Big bucks in Ardersier in late 70s

Yes, and the tax man biting my single-mans arse so off to sunny Saudi I went.

I think my uncle is still placing chocks on the wheels of planes parking up at Dalcross though.

So it's 21.45 here in Phuket and just got home. 15.47 in Westminster. BBC Parliament shows maybe two dozen MPs on the green benches. WHAT THE F is going on? Why are these clowns not sorting things out??? FIRE THE LOT of them. START AGAIN

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So it's 21.45 here in Phuket and just got home. 15.47 in Westminster. BBC Parliament shows maybe two dozen MPs on the green benches. WHAT THE F is going on? Why are these clowns not sorting things out??? FIRE THE LOT of them. START AGAIN

Is this a filibuster?

3 hours ago, Rally123 said:

The EU ruined my past as It's really gave the UK nothing. Hence why the majority voted Brexit. 40 odd years of living within the EU and the majority of voters tell you it's time to leave. Does that not tell you something????

Whereas the EU has been very good to me.  Not just because I do business there but also because I can easily travel and stay there, enjoy all things European without paying tax on them and no borders to think about. I like my European friends who live and work in the UK and add to the multicultural society that we live in.

But then I guess it is horses for courses.  It doesn't work like that for everyone as is illustrated here.  I completely respect others views and personal experiences always shape our opinions.

Big bucks in Ardersier in late 70s

Unfortunately I had already taken the Queens shilling when it opened. My brother did very well from it and was still there when it went into care and maintenance.

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Well it was Breaking News, just thought I'd share it, sorry it didn't have the impact on you that I'd hoped for.

That was my point. Nice thought, but it's going to be what it's going to be. Sure we can talk about it in the hopes there is a cathartic/visceral therapy release of sorts.  Otherwise, yeah, I wish someone had a solution here that could make a positive change.

17 minutes ago, Benroon said:

1) Right so you have around 11 years left - the damage Brexit will do to future generations will be felt long after your time left

2) Spain, Portugal, Italy, ? Completely irrelevant - their damage was economical, ours will be self inflicted.

3) No idea where Bevidorm is 

4) You seemed to have dodged the chance to explain why the vast vast majority of the UK's youth are anti-Brexit - personally I don't believe anyone over the age of 60 should have had a vote given the damage will last long after they've gone - it was selfish in the extreme

Still waiting for that list of industry bosses that support Brexit

Next, JCB, JD Wetherspoon,Ineos are a number of job providers that are in favour of Brexit

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

When did Westminster become such a haven of milquetoasts and pantywaists? Has it been the gradual deception, a dumbing-down of the British electorate who after being duped into EEC membership in 1973, were advised that keeping the £ was the cleverest thing that Britain got out of the Maastricht Treaty? Ten years on, the EU and the € are steamrollering across the continent and nobody notices except fisherman and plumbers. It has been a gradual EUthanisation of the British thinking national body politic so what did we expect when the great unwashed suddenly pulls the rug out from under them...

When we have that oxygen waster Chris Grayling calling for better Tory leadership, I got to agree with your "Legge's Eleven" there. But...

Honestly?

Yes

36 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Next, JCB, JD Wetherspoon,Ineos are a number of job providers that are in favour of Brexit

mr spooney wants a UK recession so his boozers are the only one's that skint folks can afford,also a weaker pound will mean less travelling oversea's and a few more clapped out skint old codgers in piss stained singha vests returning from thailand. self interests at heart.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/apr/02/brexit-latest-news-live-cabinet-theresa-may-barnier-says-extending-article-50-again-to-help-uk-would-pose-significant-risks-to-eu-live-news

Brexit: May to ask for short article 50 extension and offers to meet Labour leader - live news

18m ago 18:09

Prime minister calls for further Brexit delay

Theresa May says she understands some people are so fed up that they want to leave with no deal. But she supports leaving with one and says we need a short extension to article 50.

She says the debate cannot be allowed to drag on and adds that the Commons’ approach has not worked.

May says she is offering to sit down with the leader of the opposition, Jeremy Corbyn, to come up with a plan to leave with a deal. But she says that deal must include her withdrawal agreement.

13m ago 18:14

May says the extension would be “as short as possible” and would end once a deal was struck.

She says any plan both she and Corbyn agreed upon would then be put to MPs for approval with a view to it being taken to next week’s European council meeting.

If she and Corbyn cannot agree a unified approach, May says, then a series of options for the future relationship would be put to the Commons in a series of votes. The prime minister adds that the government would abide by the decision of the house – but only if Labour did so too.

May also says she wants the process to be finished by 22 May so that the UK does not have to take part in the European parliament elections.

2m ago 18:27

In the minutes since Theresa May finished delivering her statement, cabinet ministers have been filing out of Downing Street.

Sajid Javid, Jeremy Hunt, Liz Truss, James Brokenshire, Amber Rudd, Chris Grayling and Damian Hinds left via the front door of Number 10. The Tory party chairman, Brandon Lewis, followed soon after.

But none offered any comment.

15 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

No thanks, that's not the solution. 

A General election would mean to take part in elections for EU parliament. And subsequently staying in EU for at least a year. 

You see your way is a dead end road. 

So for the third time you avoid the question. I assume you are not from the UK and that you are telling 17.4 million people you know better and that the UK should stay in the EU. Possibly your country hasn't the courage to leave the EU or you just like being told what to do by the Brussels Bureaucrats.

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

Dear oh dear it gets worse

Some Brits worked in Europe but nowhere near the scale of now - but it doesn't surprise me that a brexiteer is reminiscing of the past when Britain was predominantly white right ? bad news, those days aren't coming back - its the FUTURE that's important and you've just naused it up for the next generation.

Pariahs ? you've heard of tariffs and import restrictions right ?

The corporations you talk of ARE stepping in and already warning Britain to get it together, and I haven't heard of ONE that has stated they would side with the UK against Europe but plenty have said the opposite - two more motoring manufacturers just today, Ford and BMW have sent warnings out, that tens of thousands of jobs are at risk - over a trillion pounds worth of business has ALREADY left London and we haven't gone yet. Frankfurt trip over themselves on a daily basis to wrest business away from London. The construction industry have expressed complete dismay, the clothing industry has warned of increased costs, the hospitality industry is already suffering acute recruitment problems, should I go on ? But they're all wrong and brexiteers jumping into the complete unknown know better right ? 

Still its only fair you get a chance so if you could just list all the post Brexit deals that have been set up for us, and why all the major industry bosses are wrong that would be appreciated....

There is no way that Brits will suddenly be unable to travel and work in the EU.

Where is the source of this?

Tariffs/restrictions are self harming to both sides. The EU are scared to death of giving any sort of reasonable deal as they don't want other countries to jump the sinking ship.

A lot of these companies that are 'moving', especially financial ones are just moving skeleton staff to appease regulations in the future. 

You obviously think companies relocating is like moving house, a lot of it is just hot air trying to negotiate better terms for their business

For every deserting rat there will be a multinational willing to move in and grasp an opportunity.

However that won't happen until we break this impasse in the govt, that is the main concern.

Stop being so negative! 

Ambassador Johnson Retweeted Sky News

The Trump Administration has been very clear - a post Brexit UK is top of queue for a trade deal!

On a side note how can anybody be comfortable with the behemoth that is the EU. It's a stinking dysfunctional mess full of bloated bureaucracy, fraud and a failed monetary system that's end product is misery and deflation

When it breaks up just make sure you have all your Euros in a German bank(hundreds of billions of Euros have moved from EU countries to Germany in the last few years!). They are overflowing in Euros waiting for the EU to fail and the currency to change back to deutschmarks. It will go through the roof due to Germany's huge current account surplus.

You will get a huge windfall on that when it happens. Again the Bundesbank is heaving with Euros waiting for this imminent event

6 hours ago, bomber said:

mr spooney wants a UK recession so his boozers are the only one's that skint folks can afford,also a weaker pound will mean less travelling oversea's and a few more clapped out skint old codgers in piss stained singha vests returning from thailand. self interests at heart.

He's not that smart!

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

brexiteers didn't have a clue what they were voting for

Okay, pray tell us what we voted for then if it wasn't either Exit or Remain? Quite simple really but what you're insinuating is that Brexiteers didn't understand the question. Whereas in the referendum in '75 they understood the 'Yes-No' question? No argument there as the decision went in pro EU voters favour.

Try Benidorm.. teenagers in my day just called it Bevidorm..get it now.
I could easily state that no one under 25 should have been allowed to vote re Brexit due to the fact that they obviously have very little life experience.
However not being a fascist, autocratic minded person the best of luck to the kids...vote for whatever..but respect the result.
But as for you with your ban on over 60's voting..imo you show yourself up as being rather nazi like.
Try federation of small businesses who are pi##ed off with the brussels beurocrats and their directives.

1) Right so you have around 11 years left - the damage Brexit will do to future generations will be felt long after your time left

2) Spain, Portugal, Italy, ? Completely irrelevant - their damage was economical, ours will be self inflicted.

3) No idea where Bevidorm is 

4) You seemed to have dodged the chance to explain why the vast vast majority of the UK's youth are anti-Brexit - personally I don't believe anyone over the age of 60 should have had a vote given the damage will last long after they've gone - it was selfish in the extreme

Still waiting for that list of industry bosses that support Brexit

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Two sayings come to mind regarding these ideologically possessed students/young adults

"Youth is wasted on the young."

"Those who can't do, teach

Terrible combination for education of life. It's only when they mature that they realise the error of their ways and are embarrassed by their political views as a teenager, young adult.

8 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/apr/02/brexit-latest-news-live-cabinet-theresa-may-barnier-says-extending-article-50-again-to-help-uk-would-pose-significant-risks-to-eu-live-news

Brexit: May to ask for short article 50 extension and offers to meet Labour leader - live news

18m ago 18:09

Prime minister calls for further Brexit delay

Theresa May says she understands some people are so fed up that they want to leave with no deal. But she supports leaving with one and says we need a short extension to article 50.

She says the debate cannot be allowed to drag on and adds that the Commons’ approach has not worked.

May says she is offering to sit down with the leader of the opposition, Jeremy Corbyn, to come up with a plan to leave with a deal. But she says that deal must include her withdrawal agreement.

13m ago 18:14

May says the extension would be “as short as possible” and would end once a deal was struck.

She says any plan both she and Corbyn agreed upon would then be put to MPs for approval with a view to it being taken to next week’s European council meeting.

If she and Corbyn cannot agree a unified approach, May says, then a series of options for the future relationship would be put to the Commons in a series of votes. The prime minister adds that the government would abide by the decision of the house – but only if Labour did so too.

May also says she wants the process to be finished by 22 May so that the UK does not have to take part in the European parliament elections.

2m ago 18:27

In the minutes since Theresa May finished delivering her statement, cabinet ministers have been filing out of Downing Street.

Sajid Javid, Jeremy Hunt, Liz Truss, James Brokenshire, Amber Rudd, Chris Grayling and Damian Hinds left via the front door of Number 10. The Tory party chairman, Brandon Lewis, followed soon after.

But none offered any comment.

April the 12th is not arbitrary, by that date she must commit to leaving or taking part in the EU elections.

As we all know throughout the process she has tried to circumvent the rules and been slapped down, so nothing new here.

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Okay, pray tell us what we voted for then if it wasn't either Exit or Remain? Quite simple really but what you're insinuating is that Brexiteers didn't understand the question. Whereas in the referendum in '75 they understood the 'Yes-No' question? No argument there as the decision went in pro EU voters favour.

There were many that did not understand the ins and outs and either didn't vote or listened to the rhetoric closest to them. My son and his wife had no idea and just followed her mother, who has since changed her mind.

This student puts it quite well.

Vote Leave managed to run a campaign that connected on a much more emotional level than any of the financial threats the Remain campaign rolled out. The urge to “Take back control” was clever – the use of the word “back” hinting that we somehow had lost an advantage, or control, over huge areas.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-second-referendum-peoples-vote-theresa-may-deal-student-a8850406.html

As for the 1975 vote, that result came out of good luck rather than judgement. Anyone who thinks that the country's future should hinge on a 50% basis has no respect for democracy and that has more to do with those that promoted a fundamentally flawed referendum bill than those that took part.

Legal, education and medical institutions do not see 50% as a satisfactory outcome, does that mean that the constitutional integrity of the UK is perceived to be a lot less important? 

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

They're in the cafe's and bars playing Monopoly and Cluedo.

Citation available if needed.

(but it doesn't include the board games bit)

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

... "The urge to “Take back control” was clever – the use of the word “back” hinting that we somehow had lost an advantage, or control, over huge areas." ...

Forget the 'huge areas'. This very real sense of a weakened "advantage, or control" is no more starkly illuminated than by the prevaricating, self-entitled indolence of the current generation of UK parliamentarians. Brussels and Strasbourg has been slowly emasculating the national governments of the EU member nations for decades; that's their whole raison d'être. While Tusk and Juncker wait patiently for Westminster to make up its mind, Macron lashes out as he witnesses French national pride raging against the perpetual weakening and downgrading of his nations global standing and importance.

Only the likes of Ken Clarke and others who have truly 'been there, done that' seem to have any grasp of the stark realities here. It appears that the most common reason to stay being cited by Remainers is, 'If we leave the EU, I won't be able to travel around Europe as easily.'

Archived