World Class Pattaya's "lovely new" beach missing just one thing - tourists!

webfact

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There is another just off the expressway at Na klua as well.

"under repair" there too ???????

There is also a "pumping station"  at Bali Hai

https://www.google.com/maps/place/อาคารสูบน้ำคลองพัทยาใต้/@12.924495,100.8668419,97m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x3102963fc2bdc06b:0x5b216f80e7e4874f!8m2!3d12.9246051!4d100.8669376

12 hours ago, thaiden1 said:

When they did the reno of the beach, would you think someone would have thought to install a drainage system along beach road that was connected to large pipes under the sand.

I certainly would never expect any such thing.  What is happening is precisely what I'd expect.  A half-assed publicity move which only makes sense in a world of face-saving and short-term thinking.  

33 minutes ago, johng said:

I think the soi watboon one is operating (maybe not at full capacity ) as they recently did a big cleanout of the lines running down to the outfall. There is also a place at the other end of soi watboon, a giant conveyor belt that removes plastic etc from stormwater, its actually running when you drive past nowadays.

Edited by Peterw42

this is Pattayas newest answer to storm drainage issues...a small gutter surrounding a few portions of the problem areas on the beach,city crews  spent months digging and installing these silly concrete blocks,only to fail FIRST RAIN ,and wash all the new sand away....

P1010236.JPG

P1010240.JPG

P1010233.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

blob.png.77ae7a1c705ced12697998484f63e35a.pngblob.png.5c722bfeb93eff8b29f5a2a13afbcde2.pngท่อระบายน้ำที่มี

ความสำคัญเริ่มต้นในปี 2558 ที่ 6 (ทิศเหนือ) ซอย 6 และทิศใต้อย่างที่คุณเห็นท่อขนาดใหญ่เต็มไปด้วยทราย 

This is the result of the drain pipe project at North end ^  And also at Soi 6 and South end . As you can see this pipe is full of sand

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

Was in Vietnam beaches for 2 weeks during the day no one was on the beach 4-5 pm after the high sun was gone the hotels emptied of tourists and was very busy. Asians hate the sun no one wants to perceived as a farmer  

The last picture appears to be a perfect spot to have a concrete storm gully,  3-4 feet deep on the beach to drain into the sea. More in a few other known runoff spots. Bridges over them for people walking the Beach. Seems sensible, anybody know why not?

15 hours ago, johnnykak said:

i remember one time walking down to walking street and seeing portable toilets that emptied right onto the beach lol. i think thai people think this is normal lol. 

Simply more time and effort efficient, that is where it would have ended up anyhow.

put down all the sand you want- with rising sea levels i don't think it will matter much. then again a lot of people don't believe in climate change so i can see why they keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. saw a good article that the last time co2 levels were this high there were trees in Antartica and sea levels were like 20 meters higher lol.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The last picture appears to be a perfect spot to have a concrete storm gully,  3-4 feet deep on the beach to drain into the sea. More in a few other known runoff spots. Bridges over them for people walking the Beach. Seems sensible, anybody know why not?

Why not is because it would be sensible, and the Pattaya lords and masters don't do sensible, as evidenced by the complete cock up they have made of a once cheap and cheerful city. Nothing new either. When they built 3rd Road it was through fields, and they could have made it as wide as they liked, but they made it too narrow- stupidity writ large. Too late to widen it now of course.

• Like 1

Having seen the photos, I have the warm fuzzy satisfaction of being able to say "I TOLD THEM SO".

Anyone been in Pattaya more than a week knows the beach will get washed away soon as the rain comes as they didn't put proper storm drains in.

Perhaps the sand people know someone...…………..…?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 4/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, Pilotman said:

unfortunately, I happened to be driving down beach road a couple of days ago, trying as quickly as possible to leave the City.  While the beach looked okay, we all know the water is as polluted as it can be with raw sewage. That said, the most striking thing was the mass of boats in the bay, it looked like thousands of them. Frankly, it looked very off putting, not at all attractive, more like a crowded High Street on a Saturday.  if nothing else was wrong with the beach at Pattaya, and there is plenty, that would certainly put me off. 

I thought the mass of boats looked lovely. You hate Pattaya I don't. The whole tone of this article, is shallow, biased, insincere and just another of Pattaya bashing. Just the recycling of tired cliches. Pattaya is thriving. As for empty beaches: some people prefer quiet beaches: some people like bust beaches. Either way Pattaya bashers will always have ammunition whatever the situation. I think the term is Pattayaphobic: an irrational hatred and unjustified fear of any positive view of Pattaya and its residents.  It is in fact the most successful city in Thailand.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I thought the mass of boats looked lovely. You hate Pattaya I don't. The whole tone of this article, is shallow, biased, insincere and just another of Pattaya bashing. Just the recycling of tired cliches. Pattaya is thriving. As for empty beaches: some people prefer quiet beaches: some people like bust beaches. Either way Pattaya bashers will always have ammunition whatever the situation. I think the term is Pattayaphobic: an irrational hatred and unjustified fear of any positive view of Pattaya and its residents.  It is in fact the most successful city in Thailand.

You found some good weed then.

And the beat goes on. . . .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I thought the mass of boats looked lovely. 

Each to heir own, to me it looks like an unorganized parking lot. Not something I want to see while gazing to the sea. The boats should be forced to go to near royal cliff where there's no sandy beach, bus the Chinese there and keep out of sight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

The boats should be forced to go to near royal cliff

After kicking them out of their parking space in front of the Waterfront Condo skeleton

they ( Men in Green along with City officials) tried forcing them to use the Bali Hai pier but met with strong resistance..saying the tours had all been pre booked and customers would be confused if the departure location on beach road was changed..and so it is as it is to this day.

6 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

You found some good weed then.

And the beat goes on. . . .

The beach is of limited importance to most visitors. Walking Street is a far greater attraction. Parts of Pattaya are busy all year round. Crisis is hyperbole and clearly chimes with Pattaya haters. Now as well as as the new tourist, expat, and investor demographic we have Thais, especially from Bangkok are visiting here in ever increasing numbers. Parts of Issan in crisis due to poverty but not Pattaya, the second wealthiest city in Thailand and an international unique destination.

Out dated and poorly maintained sun loungers plus parasols. Poorly maintained and dirty beaches. Constant beach vendors plus the smell, pollution, ripping off over pricing and so on. 

It's no wonder tourists are declining. 

For a tourist hot spot such as Pattaya including Patong, both are simply over priced outdated locations. They both remind me of scences from movies such as Mad Max. Dumps...

Both venues should be in a much much better condition, but as always, money plus greed seem to be more important with infrastructure investment taking a back seat.

Laziness springs to mind... 

What is the attraction? Beats me!

Thankfully I'm only here for a short break. I can't wait to leave...

On 4/2/2019 at 12:19 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I think the years of ripping tourists off has come home to roost. Vietnam has apparently become the place to go to, offering what Thailand used to.

Pattaya's problem is that to fix it, the entire downtown area would have to be demolished to allow proper infrastructure to be built, and the entire council would have to be sacked and a "better" one put in. Neither is going to happen.

It used to be lovely in the 90s- a cheap and cheerful town, but then the high and mighty got baht in their eyes with the thought of a world class resort where the rich and famous would flock and the baht would flow like water. Of course the dream has ended in chaos and fiasco- could there have ever been a happy ending?

Even the nookie lovers are being turned away by bored ( and boring ) ladies more interested in their phones that the customers, and the prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have to be joking if they think the numbers of mongers are going to be like in the good old days if they want "how much"???????? Besides, many of them are just too fat and plain to be considered by anyone not wearing beer goggles. Used to be the best lookers were inside the Walking Street gogos, now it's the touts outside.

Best on spot post, of the year.

Vietnam is taking over, cambo and phils also get former los lovers, and defenders, they get less by the minute.

Finally Los has lost the fight for tourist.

The numbers talk for themselves, empty hotels reported by hotel owners, before 80%, now 8% occupated rooms only.

Over inflated baht against all currencies, and increased prices.

This years visa changes was the last, and made foreigners say enough is enough.

Foreigners has options, and now they ready to explore more friendly destinations, that welcome us with a genuine smile.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, darksidedog said:

It isn't just the beach that is missing tourists, the whole town is, though I am sure in a day or two TAT or someone else will provide numbers pulled from their imagination to dispute this. While, yes, we are heading into low season, even high season was very quiet. Strong Baht, dangerous roads, rip offs continuously, shitty brown water, corrupt and untrustworthy cops, all culminate to persuade those not on holiday purely for a bit of nookie, to go elsewhere.

It seems to me they spend too much time and money cleaning out the bars and not enough maintaining the streets and beach.

• Thanks 1

It would seem the low spot where the water runs onto the beach is close to soi six, I would have thought a simple large concrete spillway or storm control pipes ending in the sea past the beach would have been a solution, not rocket science and lots of pictures out there for them to get an idea if they are not sure how it works.  :biggrin: