Drunk driving: FDA admit that cough medicine and Listerine gives alcohol reading

webfact

Drunk driving: FDA admit that cough medicine and Listerine gives alcohol reading

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that the Thai Food and Drug Administration responded to claims online that cough medicine and gargles gave a positive reading in roadside checks for alcohol. 

Yes, the FDA admitted on Facebook - it is true. 

But they played down its importance. 

Not all cough medicines have alcohol as a constituent part. 

And when it came to gargles and mouth sprays it was only present in the mouth for 20 to 30 minutes. 

Alcohol from beer and spirits went into the bloodstream and stayed in the body much longer. 

The FDA said effectively: "Not to worry". 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-02

Random breath test police in the likes of Australia, UK and the US have heard them all ....  from cough medicine to chocolates laced with brandy etc .... 

These days the machines back at the station are a bit more safisticated and precise than they were years ago.

Anyone who does drink and drive deserves jail. It could be someone you know who is killed by a drunk driver.

I presume they are using the devices at roadside checks to do a first check, and that you will need to go to the police station and do a test on a more advanced machine to determine the actual content of alcohol in your blood to determine the punishment in tested positive. At least that is how it works in developed countries, so let me readjust that presumption.

33 minutes ago, alant said:

what alcohol are they detecting?

That would be ethanol, the other stuff is not fit for consumption (methanol, isopropyl and so on) - although I doubt that would stop Thais if they find a bottle.

34 minutes ago, alant said:

what alcohol are they detecting?

standard mouth wash, like Listerine, contains alcoholic traces. unless its the alcohol free one, best not to drive until 15 minutes after you use it, not because it will impact you, but because it will be detectable on a breath test machine used by the cops.  Same for some cold cures, (Day/Night Nurse) and cough mixtures. 

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Anyone who does drink and drive deserves jail. It could be someone you know who is killed by a drunk driver.

Here is Taiwan's answer to the problem...

Taiwan Capital punishment and life sentence for drunk drivers
The government of the Southeast Asian country therefore wants to drastically increase the penalties for drunk driving. In the worst case, even the death penalty threatens.
Because: According to the bill, accidents caused by drunk driver, with fatalities can then be treated as a murder and can be punished in Taiwan with death. But the death of the accident victim must be considered "intended".
Even if the drunk drivers accidentally kill their fellow human beings, they should be able to be imprisoned under the new law up to life imprisonment. For severe injuries, jail threatens up to 12 years.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That would be ethanol, the other stuff is not fit for consumption (methanol, isopropyl and so on) - although I doubt that would stop Thais if they find a bottle.

Methanol kills its share of people throughout the world.  In fact it is used in the US to create Specially Denatured Alcohol so you can use alcohol legally.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Random breath test police in the likes of Australia, UK and the US have heard them all ....  from cough medicine to chocolates laced with brandy etc .... 

These days the machines back at the station are a bit more safisticated and precise than they were years ago.

Just because you have had a drink before driving does not mean you are drunk.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

'Police grade' BAC testing machines are accurate to 0.005% and are available for $100 on eBay.

Just remember they need to be re-calibrated often. Not an easy process.

16 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Here is Taiwan's answer to the problem...

Taiwan Capital punishment and life sentence for drunk drivers
The government of the Southeast Asian country therefore wants to drastically increase the penalties for drunk driving. In the worst case, even the death penalty threatens.
Because: According to the bill, accidents caused by drunk driver, with fatalities can then be treated as a murder and can be punished in Taiwan with death. But the death of the accident victim must be considered "intended".
Even if the drunk drivers accidentally kill their fellow human beings, they should be able to be imprisoned under the new law up to life imprisonment. For severe injuries, jail threatens up to 12 years.

Thailand had better start building some huge facilities to house all the new inmates if they intended to follow suit !

Or... to solve the "conscription issue" anyone found guilty of drink driving gets an automatic 12 month stint in the army !

On 4/2/2019 at 10:44 AM, webfact said:

FDA admit that cough medicine and Listerine gives alcohol reading

I recall many years ago in Australia i made a 200 km trip home while all the while sipping Nyal Decongestant Elixer. Fortunately I made it home safely but I was as high as a kite when I got there. 

Maybe these days they make an alcohol free product.

45 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

What about eating a muffin or for that matter any food containing poppy seeds? Yes, if you tested you will found to be under the influence of a narcotic, namely opium.

Of course this is going OTT.

"FDA admit that cough medicine and Listerine gives alcohol reading."

My BinL swears by the Isaan formula. Listerine and Lao khow. Gargle for a few seconds and then swallow.

thumbnail_listerine.jpg.a9cc5b9baa7c30e9dc2acf16e1840073.jpg

Archived