BANGKOK 24 May 2019 19:50
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Calling Lionel Messi 'God' is sacrilege, Pope Francis warns football fans

He's arguably the greatest footballer to ever play the game but fans shouldn't call Lionel Messi "God", according to the Pope.

The Pontiff says using the term to describe the Barcelona star is theoretically "sacrilege" and has warned supporters against doing it.

Asked about the subject on Spanish television channel La Sexta, Pope Francis said: "In theory, it is sacrilege. It shouldn't be said. I do not believe it."

When presenter Jordi Evole suggested he did believe Messi was God, Pope Francis replied with a chuckle: "I don't.

"People could call him God, just as they might say 'I adore you', but only God can be worshipped.

"[Saying] 'He's a god with the ball on the pitch' is a popular way to express yourself.

"He's great to watch - but he's not God."

Pope Francis is known to be a football fan and is a club member of Buenos Aires side San Lorenzo.

He previously met Messi - a fellow Argentinian - in 2013 and is reported to have hailed him as football's greatest ever player, ahead of Pele, Diego Maradona and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Full article

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Obviously pope Francis doesn't know a lot about football.

Or much about anything.  It's a choice he has made.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Obviously pope Francis doesn't know a lot about football.

"Eggs" Benedict was a pope who knew his football. By some accounts he was shirt over the head style mad for third division Polish team Pogoń Siedlce. I'd like to know Egg's thoughts on Messi.

4 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

"Eggs" Benedict was a pope who knew his football. By some accounts he was shirt over the head style mad for third division Polish team Pogoń Siedlce. I'd like to know Egg's thoughts on Messi.

Who is "Eggs" Benedict ? The dark, fugitive pope ?

Well, i believe in animism, and i can see a god of football in some of Messi's goals.

The pope said

"People could call him God, just as they might say 'I adore you', but only God can be worshipped.

he is wrong in Thailand money is worshiped

• Like 1

The way Messi has been playing of late, it's no wonder he is referred to as god... scored from a free kick yet again last night... six times this season... ⚽

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kkerry said:

The way Messi has been playing of late, it's no wonder he is referred to as god... scored from a free kick yet again last night... six times this season... ⚽

Yep, and that third goal couple weeks ago, with left foot ,sweetly spinning in the top corner, to the complete astonishment of everyone watching.

A little god, and even the opposition fans were cheering him.

• Like 1