Freezing milk

bluesofa

Is it straightforward freezing milk here?

Specifically, as all the shop-bought milk is in plastic containers, is it necessary to pour a little from the bottle before freezing it?

If it was a glass bottle, it would no doubt shatter when frozen due to expansion. I wonder if the plastic bottles 'give' a little to prevent the frozen milk cracking them?

why would you want to freeze milk, why not buy packs of UHT milk?. I know it doesn't taste quite as nice as fresh pasteurised but it's way more convenient to store. if any of you Brits miss your Frosties fix try Lactasoy soy in the reduced sugar formula with cornflakes or any other breakfast cereal.

2 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

why would you want to freeze milk, why not buy packs of UHT milk?. I know it doesn't taste quite as nice as fresh pasteurised but it's way more convenient to store. if any of you Brits miss your Frosties fix try Lactasoy soy in the reduced sugar formula with cornflakes or any other breakfast cereal.

if its on sale we would buy it in bulk and freeze it.

16 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Even with plastic bottle allow for expansion or will crack - just take a drink out to lower the level

Agree, milk expands when frozen. Our neighbor decides to freeze flagon size plastic bottles, he didn't remove some milk and he jammed the flagons into the plastic shelves on the door of his freezer. Later he open the freezer door and discovered that the expansion had seriously broken the shelves in the door, the shelves were unusable and he replaced them.

My family drinks a heap of milk every day (3 adults and 3 kids, all love fresh cold milk, we have been freezing flagons of milk (after removing 2 or 3 centimetres) for 4 or 5 years, we tend to replenish the stock with 4 to 5 flagons each time and you quite often find fresh milk on discount.  Usually takes about 1 hour on a plate on the bench to thaw enough to then put it into the normal part of the fridge.

We do the same with bags of bread, it works. It thaws quite quickly and even just out of the freezer the slices separate very easily. I quite like to take the next bag out of the freezer, separate 2 slices and straight into the toaster, toasts as normal, quite nice. 

I can assure you that you can freeze plastic bottles of milk without opening them. You do not have to pour any of the contents out.

The bottle will not crack and no milk will be forced out. I always have a bottle in the freezer for emergencies.

Here is one from the freezer. The bottle is distorted a bit but that's it. When defrosted the container resumes its natural shape.

20190402_143515.thumb.jpg.171e828a0b9facc4e1d038e15b794bc5.jpg

16 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think that's udderly ridiculous.

Sorry I've just reread the headline .. 

I thought it had said Friesian milk not freezing milk .. But if you have a beef with that I guess I'd better hoove it out of here .. 

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

Yeuch .. UHT on cereal .! There are something's an English fellow will not compromise on and the milk one takes with one's tea or cereal is one of them .. 

Cereal deserves no less than Semi skimmed ( green top ) chilled .. 

And one should also take one's tea with milk added after the tea has been poured .. ( cue civil war on that one ) .. 

14 minutes ago, grollies said:

I find the milk here keeps for ages in the fridge, at least a couple of weeks. What's in it apart from milk?

I heard rumours that  most of it sold here is actually powdered milk imported then "reconstituted"

I like the mMilk  from Mary Anne Dairy Products  Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat)

it says on the label "fresh milk 100%"   and tastes good with tea and cornflakes.

5 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

And one should also take one's tea with milk added after the tea has been poured

I put the milk in first, unless using a teapot which these days is almost never.

3 hours ago, grollies said:

I find the milk here keeps for ages in the fridge, at least a couple of weeks. What's in it apart from milk?

That's very true.

Having said that, the weather is starting to get hotter now, so not certain if it will keep quite as long.

Plus, I want to have enough milk in during Songkran. There's no way I'm leaving the house for two weeks, for safety - to avoid kids - small and large, who take pleasure in drowning ferangs on motorbikes.

Last time I was hit was about ten years ago by a Thai male who threw a bucket of water in my face, bringing me down instantly. Suffered various cuts grazes and a dislocated thumb.

No one was interested in helping, they all melted into the background as I was lying on the road.

Archived