Pattaya under water following two hours of heavy rain

webfact

Pattaya under water following two hours of heavy rain

By The Nation

bbe5c8ac2a45ec4efdddd57fbf313b2c-sld.jpe

The seaside city of Pattaya was under water early Tuesday afternoon following two hours of heavy downpours.

The rains started at about 11am and continued for two hours, leaving most roads under water between 30 centimetres and one metre deep, as the rainwater could not be drained fast enough.

a0b2e2740b698aea9205ffdc9fecce26-sld.jpe

Several sections of road were impassable to passenger cars.

Sukhumvit Road, which runs through Pattaya, was under water more than a metre deep, which made it impassable for both cars and motorcycles.

Police and Pattaya city officials had to set up barricades to prevent motorists from trying to enter the flooded sections, after several cars suffered engine breakdowns in the deep water.

b675e37db8bc87917160d314e376c86d-sld.jpe

Several roads in the heart of Pattaya were under water 30cm to 50cm deep, including Pattaya 3 Road, Soi Bua Khao and Pattaya Beach Road.

Officials expected the water to flow into the sea about an hour after the rains stopped.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366986

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-02

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Kim J said:

flooding was soon to be a thing of the past!

Yes they simply renamed it from "flooding"  to "water that is yet to drain"

Oh well at least the tunnel didn't flood  and it hardly rained at all here in Na-Jomtien

15 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

This is old news ....surely ?

Same places flood every year  Sukhumvit , South Pattaya , Soi Buakow, Beach road.

DSCF0152.thumb.JPG.8cb9fc98337a1b898e2e4659af0c94a8.JPG

9 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Please correct me if I am mistaken. But I seem to remember during some military intervention around the Pattaya area someone stating that flooding was soon to be a thing of the past!

I have been here some time and this is the worst I have seen on Sukhumvit. I wonder if the tunnel and flyover have made this more likely.

A few years back smokers got the blame for butts blocking drains causing flooding so they all packed up in favor of ecigs then they got banned and everyone chucked them down the drain is my theory for todays flood ????

49 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

This is old news ....surely ?

Understand your meaning , this has been happening for many of years, and still nothing is done ... This is old news

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I wonder if the tunnel and flyover have made this more likely.

I have always wondered about the wisdom of tunnels when it rains this much.

Is the tunnel completely submerged?

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

I doubt it. The design was to run water away from the entrances.... where to we may now know!

59 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Please correct me if I am mistaken. But I seem to remember during some military intervention around the Pattaya area someone stating that flooding was soon to be a thing of the past!

Yep, another success story for the "Junta" 

48 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have been here some time and this is the worst I have seen on Sukhumvit. I wonder if the tunnel and flyover have made this more likely.

That's a new twist on an old theme but how on earth do we get from "Will the Sukhumvit tunnel flood?" to "The Sukhumvit tunnel causes flooding."?

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt it. The design was to run water away from the entrances.... where to we may now know!

I'm sure this was thought of, but the down ramps that lead to the tunnel are open to the elements. That means any rain that lands on the ramps will flow down into the tunnel.

Perhaps they have pumps. But as has been mentioned, pump the water to where?

Any engineers around to enlighten us?

24 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Once again the question how can a tunnel at the top of a hill get flooded is raised.

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

I'm sure this was thought of, but the down ramps that lead to the tunnel are open to the elements. That means any rain that lands on the ramps will flow down into the tunnel.

Perhaps they have pumps. But as has been mentioned, pump the water to where?

Any engineers around to enlighten us?

The tunnel openings exposed to the heavens are relatively short and the rain water drains down the gutters and, when needed, is pumped horizontally to the flooded bits either side of the tunnel entrance humps that have always flooded even before the tunnel was built.

What would Pattaya be without such temporary floods.

It's called "short time flood" :biggrin:

And as long as the barstools are high enough to keep feet dry, who cares?

Don't park your car in underground garages by the way.

Archived