Pattaya under water following two hours of heavy rain

webfact

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

I wonder what these dozen officials were thinking about?? Probably not much at all I would say!!

If they are dragging sand from just below the water line, as it would appear, normal tidal movement and the mere fact that it is under water means that the sand will soon re find it's own level. Most of what was washed away will have been spread far and wide, way beyond where those excavators can reach, they may think that they are simply putting this sand back from where it came, but they are most certainly not.

Their actions here just mean that next time a similar flooding incident hits, the ensuing erosion will happen quicker and will be more widespread than it was this time.

This really is a quite literal example of the old saying: 'When you have dug yourself into a hole, stop digging'.

The answer is simplicity itself. I saw a beach in the south of England that had been built up behind a wall above high tide level. That stopped the sand getting washed away, which is a problem on many English beaches. Of course they'd have to clean the beach every night, and we know how much chance of that happening there is in Pattaya.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2019 at 11:48 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course they'd have to clean the beach every night, and we know how much chance of that happening there is in Pattaya.

Well the new beach was built up higher and I doubt the sea would have come up close to the top except under storm or exceptional tides, and since it had been completed it seemed to have been kept reasonably clean. Although smokers were having an impact. A pity, the water coming from the other direction, bringing trash with it, has done for it all. 

Archived