Thai visa in Vientiane or Penang/recent overstay

Hello all - I'm thinking about trying to go to either Penang or Vientiane for a tourist visa. However, I just had two recent overstays -- the first one was one day (because of an emergency), the second one I just forgot about my visa situation and was for 3 days (please spare me the criticism). I had had a 6-month tourist visa from my home country; last year I also got a tourist visa in Vientiane. Should I be able to get a tourist visa? I'll be going back to my home country for about 6 weeks in June and was even planning on booking before I try and get a tourist visa since I've read on these forums that it is often a requirement to show proof of a flight back home. Thanks.

Vientiane are not known to deny TR Visas to those with overstays (especially very short ones).  The issue you could encounter would be on returning to Thailand, where I suggest you enter at a known-friendly land border - any from Laos (including the bridge from Vientiane) would be ideal. 

Although Vientiane has not been reported to require showing a flight out, things are changing there, so stay-tuned for any new news on this.  If you will be booking the flight anyway (generally cheaper booked well in advance), no harm in having proof of it with you.

The key to getting a TR Visa in Vientiane, is not having a previous TR Visa with a "remark stamp" on it saying, "This person travels to Thailand frequently..." or similar.  If you don't have one of those, you should get the Visa OK. 

Also be aware that Vientiane as an "online booking" system now to apply there, and can be booked-up weeks in advance - so need to plan ahead.  Savannakhet is another good option, but you will need a printout of a bank statement (can be your passport country) showing 20K Baht worth, plus possibly proof of the flight-out.

Edited by JackThompson

• 4 weeks later...