Hua Hin beach: Authorities change tack - vendors will be allowed to charge for deckchairs

webfact

Hua Hin beach: Authorities change tack - vendors will be allowed to charge for deckchairs

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The authorities in Hua Hin have said that a new agreement will be signed with beach vendors at the resort. 

The news follows a high profile case where a woman and her family complained they were ripped off for food on the beach after being told they could sit down on loungers for free. 

New proposals are now on the table as the authorities plan to scrap an old agreement signed between them and the vendors.

Vendors will in future be able to charge 40-50 baht for people to sit down but they will not be able to force anyone to order food or drink. 

Clear prices for the latter must also be displayed. 

A meeting will be held before Songkran when a new memorandum of understanding will be signed. 

Daily News said that the authorities were circling the wagons after Aree Numjaroen, 67, was criticized in a Facebook post for ripping off a family of eight persons who had to pay 2,300 baht for food and drink after being told they could sit for free. 

This arrangement with the vendors is clearly not working and is causing trouble, they reported. 

Jirawat Phramanee said that in future the beach vendors will be allowed to charge for seating but can't force patrons to order food and drink. 

A local official had been in touch with the Facebook woman who complained and she does not want to take the matter further. 

But after Aree or "Aunty Kaew" of Pa Kaew Seafood filed a report with the police the local cops have said that they want to meet both sides to iron out differences. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-03

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

This arrangement with the vendors is clearly not working and is causing trouble, they reported. 

I suspect any arrangement made is not going to work as too many of these beach vendors are simply driven by greed. Much as a significant chunk of many businesses countrywide involved with tourism.

49 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

This at least answers the age old question of how many generals does' it take to put up a deckchair ????

One general of course.

Plus the other 1,599 for the photo-opportunity after it has been erected.

46 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

seven Thai men versus one Thai woman just in case they need to arrest her. SWAT team is just out of frame.  

but she has a Louis Vuitton bag so they are rendered powerless.

3pm.jpg.55233ebc25eef2b62dfd2a09ec043961.jpg

That no LV its a saddle bag off of one of those comedy short leg horses from the beach patrol division????

53 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

but she has a Louis Vuitton bag so they are rendered powerless

These Louis Vuitton bags make all the difference. Same with a Rolex watch. They are Hi So fashion statements that highlight who you are. They often stop the police from taking liberties (not that they often do).

Personally, I would not be able to tell a genuine Louis Vuitton from a fake. Maybe it was a fake bag anyway. She just had it close to stop the peelers whisking her off for a spot AA.

When I was last in Hua Hin, I didn't even see anyone on the beach. That was a few years ago.

Yesterday. Mrs Owl, myself and daughter. Ate at the best restaurant in town. We each had a decent meal, with some side veggies and one soft drink*; 210 Baht all in.

* Green Fanta. Too sweet for me, so I drank the free water. I was offered a cola but it had not come from the fridge; so declined. I don't trust the ice in Thailand unless I know its origins. Can't be too careful in LOS

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

These Louis Vuitton bags make all the difference. Same with a Rolex watch. They are Hi So fashion statements that highlight who you are. They often stop the police from taking liberties (not that they often do).

{snipped}

Who are you calling a Loius Vuitton bag? Seems rather offensive.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Vendors will in future be able to charge 40-50 baht for people to sit down but they will not be able to force anyone to order food or drink.

They charged 100 baht per chair 8 years ago when I last visited there !

The woman is a local government official.

One of the enforcement team.

See shoulder braids and row of ribbons on her paramilitary "civil" service uniform.

Military are "watchful" of guys on left.

The police were going around Hua Hin restaurants operated inside privately owned / rented buildings yesterday informing owners that they are looking at all restaurants in Hua Hin because of this incident.

It's not clear what they were looking for but I think it was readily available signs of pricing.

There is a big difference between allowing someone to sit inside a privately owned building and on public land on the beach.

Prices must be displayed and hope they enforce the rules, if they do not wish to end up as some other ghost resort with close to 0 tourists.

They should also put a sign well visible and written in Thai and English that sitting on a beach chair has a price with no..absolutely no obligation to consume.

Hua Hin better start to respect customers, expats and tourists a bit more,  should they be Thais or foreigners.

People are getting fed up of being cheated and considered as walking ATM's.

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Personally, I would not be able to tell a genuine Louis Vuitton from a fake. Maybe it was a fake bag anyway. She just had it close to stop the peelers whisking her off for a spot AA.

When I was last in Hua Hin, I didn't even see anyone on the beach. That was a few years ago.

Yesterday. Mrs Owl, myself and daughter. Ate at the best restaurant in town. We each had a decent meal, with some side veggies and one soft drink*; 210 Baht all in.

* Green Fanta. Too sweet for me, so I drank the free water. I was offered a cola but it had not come from the fridge; so declined. I don't trust the ice in Thailand unless I know its origins. Can't be too careful in LOS

The ice is made from the free water. Perhaps take your own next time, I'm sure they'll put in the fridge for you.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

The ice is made from the free water. Perhaps take your own next time, I'm sure they'll put in the fridge for you.

In our parts the water comes in 20 litre bottles. i went to the plant last year and it was clean, tidy and no chickens or dogs running about.

Don't like the ice in drinks. Sometimes smells funny to me. I would never put ice in beer. 

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

seven Thai men versus one Thai woman just in case they need to arrest her. SWAT team is just out of frame.  

but she has a Louis Vuitton bag so they are rendered powerless.

3pm.jpg.55233ebc25eef2b62dfd2a09ec043961.jpg

Actually the lady in the photo looks like she is with the authorities as wearing there official uniform if im not mistaken....from the local council/government office.

What has this got to do with the police, or military, no laws have been broken, the local municipal officials could take care of it, by insisting a sign, that clearly states, deck chairs "free" to customers ordering food, otherwise a fee is charged. 

41 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

What has this got to do with the police, or military, no laws have been broken, the local municipal officials could take care of it, by insisting a sign, that clearly states, deck chairs "free" to customers ordering food, otherwise a fee is charged. 

I believe the issue is that it's not on private land. They don't own the beach, nobody gives a crap if they own a chair, you're renting out the beach.

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

There are some cooler beaches in Khao Takiab and a beach restaurant I have been going to for years is as honest as the day is long. 

They even go and buy bottles of wine for me (not on the menu) and just add 50 baht to the cost price!

Every time I've been on the public beach in Hua Hin (near the Hilton) it's been a pain in the arse and the bills are more padded than a Thai bird's bra.

Chaam has a much larger beach but it is ruined by all the cheap and nasty deck chairs and umbrellas. When they are 'cleaning' on a Wednesday it looks infinitely better

bs. now they will charge you for the chair on top of the rip off food bills! And good luck with 40 baht ???? it will turn into 40 baht an hour.

and they will force you to buy food and drinks one way or another. maybe dont give you an umbrella if you dont buy food? bc agreement looks like for beach chairs.

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

In our parts the water comes in 20 litre bottles. i went to the plant last year and it was clean, tidy and no chickens or dogs running about.

Don't like the ice in drinks. Sometimes smells funny to me. I would never put ice in beer. 

i've seen them filling those 20 litre bottles from the alley taps in some places

so i hope your bottle came down with you :cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I suspect any arrangement made is not going to work as too many of these beach vendors are simply driven by greed. Much as a significant chunk of many businesses countrywide involved with tourism.

Why do the vendors own the beach anyway??

Is that not the real question here??

Archived