BANGKOK 18 June 2019 04:29
webfact

Hua Hin beach: Authorities change tack - vendors will be allowed to charge for deckchairs

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

The ice is made from the free water. Perhaps take your own next time, I'm sure they'll put in the fridge for you.

In our parts the water comes in 20 litre bottles. i went to the plant last year and it was clean, tidy and no chickens or dogs running about.

Don't like the ice in drinks. Sometimes smells funny to me. I would never put ice in beer. 

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

seven Thai men versus one Thai woman just in case they need to arrest her. SWAT team is just out of frame.  

but she has a Louis Vuitton bag so they are rendered powerless.

3pm.jpg.55233ebc25eef2b62dfd2a09ec043961.jpg

Actually the lady in the photo looks like she is with the authorities as wearing there official uniform if im not mistaken....from the local council/government office.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

There is a big difference between allowing someone to sit inside a privately owned building and on public land on the beach.

What privately owned buildings ? and no one is going to stop you, or charge you for sitting on the beach. The beaches around Hua Hin and beyond are extensive unless you must sit outside the Hilton and only a small section has facilities.

However you will, and should be charged, for sitting on furniture that someone has provided for you - personally I would still tell them to <deleted> off if I am only going to make 40 baht from some fat arsed tightwad that wants to sit there all day and not buy anything.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What has this got to do with the police, or military, no laws have been broken, the local municipal officials could take care of it, by insisting a sign, that clearly states, deck chairs "free" to customers ordering food, otherwise a fee is charged. 

41 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

What has this got to do with the police, or military, no laws have been broken, the local municipal officials could take care of it, by insisting a sign, that clearly states, deck chairs "free" to customers ordering food, otherwise a fee is charged. 

I believe the issue is that it's not on private land. They don't own the beach, nobody gives a crap if they own a chair, you're renting out the beach.

Will there be a max charge for chairs? You don't have to buy food but the chairs are 1000 baht each!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, owl sees all said:

These Louis Vuitton bags make all the difference. Same with a Rolex watch. They are Hi So fashion statements that highlight who you are. They often stop the police from taking liberties (not that they often do).

Personally, I would not be able to tell a genuine Louis Vuitton from a fake. Maybe it was a fake bag anyway. She just had it close to stop the peelers whisking her off for a spot AA.

When I was last in Hua Hin, I didn't even see anyone on the beach. That was a few years ago.

Yesterday. Mrs Owl, myself and daughter. Ate at the best restaurant in town. We each had a decent meal, with some side veggies and one soft drink*; 210 Baht all in.

* Green Fanta. Too sweet for me, so I drank the free water. I was offered a cola but it had not come from the fridge; so declined. I don't trust the ice in Thailand unless I know its origins. Can't be too careful in LOS

There are some cooler beaches in Khao Takiab and a beach restaurant I have been going to for years is as honest as the day is long. 

They even go and buy bottles of wine for me (not on the menu) and just add 50 baht to the cost price!

Every time I've been on the public beach in Hua Hin (near the Hilton) it's been a pain in the arse and the bills are more padded than a Thai bird's bra.

Chaam has a much larger beach but it is ruined by all the cheap and nasty deck chairs and umbrellas. When they are 'cleaning' on a Wednesday it looks infinitely better

bs. now they will charge you for the chair on top of the rip off food bills! And good luck with 40 baht 🙂 it will turn into 40 baht an hour.

and they will force you to buy food and drinks one way or another. maybe dont give you an umbrella if you dont buy food? bc agreement looks like for beach chairs.

Be smart, do as the locals do. Sit under a tree and bring your own food and drinks. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

In our parts the water comes in 20 litre bottles. i went to the plant last year and it was clean, tidy and no chickens or dogs running about.

Don't like the ice in drinks. Sometimes smells funny to me. I would never put ice in beer. 

i've seen them filling those 20 litre bottles from the alley taps in some places

so i hope your bottle came down with you :cheesy:

On 4/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, bluesofa said:

One general of course.

Plus the other 1,599 for the photo-opportunity after it has been erected.

Including a photo of 'mass pointing'.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, ukrules said:

I believe the issue is that it's not on private land. They don't own the beach, nobody gives a crap if they own a chair, you're renting out the beach.

What!

On 4/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, webfact said:

Vendors will in future be able to charge 40-50 baht for people to sit down

Is this dual pricing again ?

On 4/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I suspect any arrangement made is not going to work as too many of these beach vendors are simply driven by greed. Much as a significant chunk of many businesses countrywide involved with tourism.

Why do the vendors own the beach anyway??

Is that not the real question here??