Bangkok traffic police revelation: They don't even know the law

webfact

Bangkok traffic police revelation: They don't even know the law

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPGS0xKi2mQBZ3MtZCb9jtRH0rP9n5.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The deputy commissioner of the metropolitan police Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaewsaeng-ek admitted to Thai Rath that some traffic cops have been transferred to other duties because they didn't know the law. 

They had been found to be on duty directing the traffic and issuing fines but had passed no courses on what was actually right and wrong. 

The admission - that will come as no surprise to many Bangkok residents - comes as the metropolitan police begin a massive education drive to train all officers on traffic duties. 

Back in February it was decided to propose changes to 1979 traffic laws and these are expected to be confirmed after a 120 day decision making and waiting period.

This will mean that from about the end of June the new rules will be in place. 

Hopefully by that time the RTP and its traffic cops will know what they are doing. 

And have some idea of the law. 

New measures include the rule that fines can now be paid anywhere not just at the station where the issuing officer is based. 

Licences can no longer be confiscated and a points system will be in place. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-03

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could this be the reason why they don't enforce any of the road traffic laws? Because they don't even know them? Marvelous excuse that one. Why didn't you book that guy who jumped the lights? Oh, I didn't know it wasn't allowed.

They sure know how to pocket tea money though, no lessons needed on that one.

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

hey had been found to be on duty directing the traffic and issuing fines but had passed no courses on what was actually right and wrong. 

Doesn't seem to have slowed them down from relieving motorists of cash for supposed infringements though has it? Many it seems also don't know how to write a ticket and are forced to accept a lower amount than normal without ticket, though I am sure they do hand it all to the official coffers at the end of the day. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They had been found to be on duty directing the traffic and issuing fines but had passed no courses on what was actually right and wrong. 

irrelevant since they paid correct fees to obtain their positions

1 hour ago, webfact said:

cops have been transferred to other duties because they didn't know the law. 

Now let's all burn incense, chant, and thank all gods in heaven that this is in no relation to "government" members.

Their superiors are at fault if the cops don't receive proper training, not the cop himself, you can't do the job without tools. If the attitude towards training is so lax it's no wonder that the laws aren't enforced, poor training = poor moral.

In Chiang Mai they have been reported to state that International Driving Permits (accompanied by home Country licence) are only acceptable / legal for 3 days in Thailand. An alleged Law enacted June 2017. Monies charged. Land Transport knew nothing of such a thing when I asked. 

4 minutes ago, kevden said:

In Chiang Mai they have been reported to state that International Driving Permits (accompanied by home Country licence) are only acceptable / legal for 3 days in Thailand. An alleged Law enacted June 2017. Monies charged. Land Transport knew nothing of such a thing when I asked. 

It's months.

Oh my, how stupid to admit it, (not that we already knew it,) even backward 3rd world african country police know their laws, just shows how backward this country is, i like this country but the administration is just so, mmmm, im actually lost for words. just cant find the words.

I will give them that they do try, but knowing that the policeman who just gave you a parking ticket after having to jump out of the way of a speeding motorcycle on the pavement any improvement in policing has to be a step in the right direction hopefully knowing that the roads are for motor vehicle's and pavements for pedestrian's and black and white stripes going across the roads are not just for making it look pretty      

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Could this be the reason why they don't enforce any of the road traffic laws? Because they don't even know them? Marvelous excuse that one. Why didn't you book that guy who jumped the lights? Oh, I didn't know it wasn't allowed.

Or going the wrong way around roundabouts.

Regardless of how much training they might put them through and how thick, lazy or just plain retarded they are, they will all pass the training courses and be super qualified because it is simpy not allowed (some claim actually illegal) for a Thai to fail a test, any test.

It sure happens in the schools.

I doubt it would be any different in the glorious RTP, especially when you take into account the amazing handback pyramid schemes that enable some Police to buy mega houses and supercars and maintain god knows how many mia nois!

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, they have to recoup the money somehow that they forked out to become a "police"  in the first place! Once they've paid to "join the club", it seems the minimum amount of training is required, and not necessarily in the rule of law!

Archived